Thumbs Up For Spike Lee?

I just heard that Spike Lee is set to come out with a movie called “A Miracle at St. Annes”. Did anyone hear about this yet? It will be out at the movies. Something about an invasion at St. Anne’s where they killed tons of Italian Catholics…right now it’s sketchy to me…need to investigate. If anyone heard this let me know.

This is a link to the Film on IMDB.
It includes a trailer.

James

[SIGN]Miracle at St. Anna chronicles the story of four black American soldiers who are members of the US Army as part of the all-black 92nd Buffalo Soldier Division stationed in Tuscany, Italy during World War II. They experience the tragedy and triumph of the war as they find themselves trapped behind enemy lines and separated from their unit after one of them risks his life to save an Italian boy. [/SIGN]

I’m very suspecious of Spike Lee’s work. I’m sure the focus of the film will be more on the “Black Soldiers” than the miracle.

Hi Catholicdefender and JRKH,

Wow ! thanks.

I didn’t know anything about the movie or true story. I just viewed the trailer and did a little quick research of the story. This goes to prove and show that “Communism” is evil. :eek:

Can anyone tell me or help me find (link) on any other stories of the Miracle at St. Anna’s? I enjoy reading about all the Saints, this helps me keep grounded in my everyday life. :slight_smile:

Have you heard of Google?

yeah, I actually searched the net earlier and found some things. Thanks ! :slight_smile:

I like some of Spike Lee’s stuff, though I should point out that I think that he is somewhat of a anti-non-black, if that makes sense.

This is from the wiki cite on the movie

In late 2007 the yet-to-be-released film was strongly denounced by some survivors of the atrocity and local Italian politicians, including a call to ban the movie for “a false reconstruction that does not take account of the historical reality … otherwise the damage to the memory and historical truth will be very serious.”

From what I can tell, Mr. Lee is using it as a backdrop to frame a film, not as a historical work. This is not the same as Flags of our Fathers, more like Saving Private Ryan.

The real story is that over 500 Italians were rounded up, killed, and burned by a SS group. MOst of them were women, children and old men. There seems to be a story that some of the Black Soldiers in the Army were hidden by villagers, and this may more focus on that.

I would bet that Spike’s miricle is that Italians helped blacks. Opposite of Do the Right Thing. If you want a pro-Church movie, I bet that this is not it. Sorry.

Thanks Ralph :slight_smile:

Yeah when I did my research on the movie, I found that Lee’s movie is based on a fiction novel by James McBride and McBride’s book novel is based on a true story …

On August 12, 1944, retreating SS-men of the II Battallion of SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 35 of 16th SS Panzergrenadier Division Reichsführer-SS, commanded by SS-Hauptsturmführer Anton Galler, rounded up 560 villagers and refugees — mostly women, children and older men — shot them and then burned their bodies.

In the aftermath of the massacre the village was only partially rebuilt and stands today as a memorial.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant%27Anna_di_Stazzema

P.S. Guess what? SS-Hauptsturmführer Anton Galler, was associated with Hitler. :eek:

here is another link;
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6259987.stm
dated 2007

Now, all that said, I still might go see it. Spike, for all his issues with white folks like me, can make a good movie. I also like the cast he has.

excuse me? I sure did not pick up that from the website, it seems partisans were some of the victims, and that the Nazis were the perps. Not defending the reds, but that conclusion is a huge leap to make from the review of this movie. also partisan and resistance workers are not synonymous, plenty of good Catholics were also in the resistance.

PuzzleAnnie,

Communism…Nazis…Hitler and anyone associated with Hitler. is “evil” Anton Galler, the person who ordered the killing of the 500 plus persons at St. Anna’s, was associated with Hitler. :eek:

I didn’t say Catholics were evil. :o

Puzzleannie,

The “Partisans” of St. Anna’s were good people…Good Catholics, who were slautered by Anton Galler, Nazis, and his army. :eek:

Hi Ralph,

I too will go be sure to watch the movie. :slight_smile:

I’m sure the movie goes to show that Spike Lee also sees the “evil” in Communism(Nazis) and the slaughter of innocent people(partisans) or the resistance workers…560 Italian good Catholics…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.