Thursday's Mass Readings (God blesses a godly nation / Works required for salvation)

Thursday (10-4)

**Isaiah 26:1-6: **

On that day they will sing this song in the land of Judah: “A strong city have we; he sets up walls and ramparts to protect us. Open up the gates to let in a nation that is just, one that keeps faith. A nation of firm purpose you keep in peace; in peace, for its trust in you.” Trust in the Lord forever! For the Lord is an eternal Rock. He humbles those in high places, and the lofty city he brings down; he tumbles it to the ground, levels it with the dust. It is trampled underfoot by the needy, by the footsteps of the poor.

St. Matthew 7:21, 24-27:

Jesus said to his disciples: ***“not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in Heaven. Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. ***The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock. And everyone who listens to those words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. And it collapsed and was completely ruined.

Here is further biblical proof that one must DO in order to get into Heaven… not just BELIEVE (…St. James 2:12)

On Wednesday night our pastor told a story of a woman who was married to a man who was cruel. She no longer loved him, but would not divorce him. He had a list posted of all the things she was required to do, and she did them faithfully, anyway.
Not long after her husband past away, she fell in love whith another man who was totally different from her first husband.

After they married, he did everything he could for her, and never made any demnads of her.
One day she was in the attic and came accroess one of the lists her first husband had made. With tears in her eyes, she read the list, and realized that she was doing the exact same things for her new husband, not out of fear any longer, but out of love.

That is how our good works should be. Done out of love for the Savior who died for us on the cross, did everything for us. Not out of fear of damnation. Our good works should be the fruits of our faith (not just belief) in Christ and his saving sacrifice, a faith with receive as a gift of grace.

Jon

I’m not sure why you bring this up?

to me, whether through fear or through love, the important thing is to DO everything Jesus says. When Jesus says that “not everyone who says Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of Heaven”… he doesn’t go on to say that only those who love him will enter Heaven. “Love” means virtually nothing in the human realm… Humans aren’t capable of real love, only God is (and those who have God in their souls). Personally, I think it is quite an accomplishment to continue loving God and doing his will even when we are angry with him and/or even “hate” Him (and many of us have “been there”, even though, when we face the Truth courageously, we realize that it is not God’s fault… all the terrible things we go through… )… Anyway, i sometimes wonder if Jesus HImself knew “hatred” toward the Father… on the Cross… only because I believe He knows every possible feeling we could ever have… every possible cross we can carry…

God bless…

I just thought it blended well with the scripture, of how important it is that we do the things he commands, and that because of His great love for us, and His sacrifice for us, we rerspond by doing that which He asks, not out of fear of the law which convicts us to damnation, but in great joy and thanksgiving that we are saved by His grace.

Jon

i agree but some people do not have a proper fear of God and the consequences of sinning against him… I don’t like when people want to throw out fear of God in favor of love of God only… It is my awareness of his holiness that causes my fear of offending him… and also makes me appreciate the grace & mercy he gives me… If we did not have any sins or sinful nature (or thought we didnnt), we woiuld not appreciate his great mercy and love… We must have an acute awareness of the awful consequences of sin… When we sin, we sin against God and all other humans… (and our world, and then the world at large, consequently, becomes the domain of Satan… which it already has…).:frowning:

Ok. In that sense I agree.

Jon

Cool… :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.