Ti amo quasi piu’ del pane

This weekend I ate at an Italian restaurant which had interesting washrooms for the patrons. While using the facility one could hear audio Italian lessons. My DH returned explaining that restaurant was ristorante and airplane was aeroplano in Italian.
The women’s room audio had a lesson of it’s own.
“Ti amo quasi piu’ del pane.”
“I love you almost as much as bread.”
Somehow I was deeply moved by this phrase.
Everyone at my dinner party had gone to Mass earlier together and together we all enjoyed tasty beautiful loaves of fresh warm bread and Italian butter (olive oil and freshly ground pepper) as our ordered meals were prepared.
Bread – we see it everywhere and have it all of the time.
Does anyone feel moved to share some spiritual insight on this phrase? Ti amo quasi piu’ del pane.

Interesting. Hmm.

Well, the fact that Our Blessed Lord chose bread… as one of the Signs… of the Eucharist, is very significant.

And of course, the Our Father… “Give us this day, our daily bread”…

And how about the multiplication of the Loaves?

And before all of this, there was the Manna from Heaven, in the Old Testament.

Bread is very “Biblical”.

Don’t know if my thoughts make much sense… lol.

It sure does.
Considering the strong wave of desire one feels at the sight of and smell of freshly baked bread at the end of a fast it is no wonder Jesus chose bread for Eucharist. Plus, bread is so universal.
I might twist Ti amo quasi piu’ del pane a bit and say *I love bread almost as much as Bread of Life whenever I am tempted to put things above God.
Or I could say
I love you almost as much as I love Bread of Life *whenever I am tempted to put another person’s desire above God.
Or I could say I love myself almost as much as I love Bread of Life whenever I am tempted to put my own will above God’s Will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.