Tiger saga widens his distance from blacks

I saw this article and was a little taken back by it. What do you think?

chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/glf/6754981.html

Amid all the headlines generated by Tiger Woods' troubles — the puzzling car accident, the suggestions of marital turmoil and multiple mistresses — little attention has been given to the race of the women linked with the world's greatest golfer.

Except in the black community.

When three white women were said to be romantically involved with Woods in addition to his blond, Swedish wife, blogs, airwaves and barbershops started humming, and Woods' already tenuous standing among many blacks took a beating.

"There is a call for loyalty that is stronger in some ways than in other racial communities," said the author of the study, George Yancey, a sociology professor at the University of North Texas and author of the book Just Don't Marry One.

The color of one's companion has long been a major measure of "blackness" — which is a big reason why biracial President Barack Obama was able to fend off early questions about his black authenticity.

"Had Barack had a white wife, I would have thought twice about voting for him," Johnson Cooper said.

I am just taken back because i am white and was just raised really not to care about the color of someones skin. It doesn't define them as a person. I don't know if this is just a difference of cultural to think that i would or wouldn't vote for someone based upon the color of their skin or the fact that they may have a diferent colored spouse.

[quote="beckers, post:1, topic:178610"]

I am just taken back because i am white and was just raised really not to care about the color of someones skin.

[/quote]

Are you from the South? As in, the former Confederate regions? Historically, in the South, it was indeed a big deal what color skin someone had; and a lot of that history is still quite alive, among whites and blacks. Some blacks are very conscious about maintaining a strong and distinctive sense of black culture; just like some American Irish will want to maintain Irish culture. In the South, historically, for a black person, one of the main ways to survive as a people was to keep black culture alive, and that often meant marrying a black person. (Besides, being in a relationship with a white person could get you lynched.) So, for some blacks, Obama marrying a black woman indicates that Obama sees himself as part of the black community (unlike, say, Clarence Thomas).

Are you from Mars? As in the former Space Regions? i don’t think Buddha approves of hatred, racism & stereotyping.

We are all God’s children, no matter what our skin color. We are all sinners, white, black & every color in between! Jesus Christ loves all of us as His children, and He has infinite Mercy!

If you are of black, white, or any other heritage you should be proud of your heritage.

Tiger Woods was hailed by the Black community as one of their own when he was successful, even if he married a Swedish woman.

Your statement, “Obama marrying a black woman indicates that Obama sees himself as part of the black community (unlike, say, Clarence Thomas)” has to be one of the most ignorant, racist & mean spirited things i have ever read.

So if Tiger’s father, a Black man, married a woman from Thailand, does that make Tiger not a part of the Black community like Supreme Court Justice, Clarence Thomas???(What does Clarence Thomas have to do with Tiger’s failings???)

Where’s the “Hope?”

Come on, let’s stop hating & start loving!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

You might want to read my paragraph a bit more closely and carefully. To wit:

…which wasn’t “my statement”, but a statement that (as seen in the OP’s article) “some blacks” obviously believe, largely due to their experiences on the receiving end of racism throughout much of American history. And the reputation of Clarence Thomas among “some blacks” need not be repeated here, whether such reputation is accurate or inaccurate.

It sounds like reverse discrimination to me..Everyone has a type they are attracted to..some people like Italian types others like Swedes, some like women of color, and it works both ways

I have a white friend who has been married 3 times, and all to black men...She just likes them better

I think this is just no ones business but his..and for the record I am not fan either after what he has pulled

I think you might understand Siddhartha’s post better if you substitute the word black with catholic and the word white with protestant as I didn’t take it as racist and I hope he didn’t mean it as such. I’m particularly glad Siddhartha said some and not all because while its a real belief for many… not all black people or any color people believe it. I think this is less of a skin color thing and more of a culture/group thing if that makes any since.

[quote="Malia_Belen, post:6, topic:178610"]
I think you might understand Siddhartha's post better if you substitute the word black with catholic and the word white with protestant as I didn't take it as racist and I hope he didn't mean it as such. I'm particularly glad Siddhartha said some and not all because while its a real belief for many... not all black people or any color people believe it. I think this is less of a skin color thing and more of a culture/group thing if that makes any since.

[/quote]

Affirmative. The black experience in America has often been one of defense and protection of their humanity in the face of dehumanizing racism, and historically a good way to defend one's humanity is to protect one's culture and families. We see Jews do this, especially since the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD; and we see Tibetan Buddhists do this, especially after the Chinese suppression of Tibetan culture after 1959. And (as Catholics know) protecting one's culture often involves marrying someone who is from that culture. So, some blacks, who may be sensitive to these issues, might find Tiger's marital (and extra-marital) choices a bit disconcerting; and some of these same blacks might find Obama's spousal choice a sign that Obama, on the other hand, values the survival of black culture, which necessarily means the existence of strong black families.

Of course, ultimately, whom Tiger marries (or has an affair with) is between him and his loins.

This does not, to me, clearly evidence a very strong understanding of racism in the South, the North, or the very ambiguous attitude among a very large segment of the black population concerning not only skin color, but race itself.

Pinpointing some specific examples of lack of understanding of racism, would be nice.

“Historically, in the South, it was indeed a big deal what color skin someone had; and a lot of that history is still quite alive, among whites and blacks.”

This for example. As if it is not at least as true in the North. And I do mean “at least”.

OK. So you’re saying the North and the South had color-issues? I do not dispute that. Neither am I saying that the North was somehow a friendlier region, in general, than the South. Neither am I privileging the North at the expense of the South, when it comes to racial issues. I’m simply addressing the fact that in the South, many of these racial and chromatic issues are still highly visible in ways not found so much in the North.

[quote="Siddhartha, post:11, topic:178610"]

I'm simply addressing the fact that in the South, many of these racial and chromatic issues are still highly visible in ways not found so much in the North.

[/quote]

Like what, for example?

Is it true that Tiger Woods has applied to have his name changed to Cheetah Woods, or is that just a rumour I am spreading.

He is the world's greatest golfer and he betrayed his wife. I don't think that his skin has become any lighter or his culture any more Thai on account of that.

[quote="beckers, post:1, topic:178610"]
I am just taken back because i am white and was just raised really not to care about the color of someones skin. It doesn't define them as a person. I don't know if this is just a difference of cultural to think that i would or wouldn't vote for someone based upon the color of their skin or the fact that they may have a diferent colored spouse.

[/quote]

That's such a white thing to say. Did you learn nothing from the research of Brown v. Board of Education?

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:12, topic:178610"]
Like what, for example?

[/quote]

Your question reminded me of that high school in Georgia with the "white" prom and the "black" prom.

There is residual racism in the South that is derived from a history of institutional racism. And this was institutional racism that continued 100 years after the Civil War ended.

[quote="Mark77, post:3, topic:178610"]

Your statement, "Obama marrying a black woman indicates that Obama sees himself as part of the black community (unlike, say, Clarence Thomas)" has to be one of the most ignorant, racist & mean spirited things i have ever read.

[/quote]

I have heard first hand that very issue come up during the elections last year with some people I worked with. Several blacks I worked with thought that if he would have had a white wife, he would have been "selling out."

[quote="Mark77, post:3, topic:178610"]
So if Tiger's father, a Black man, married a woman from Thailand, does that make Tiger not a part of the Black community like Supreme Court Justice, Clarence Thomas????(What does Clarence Thomas have to do with Tiger's failings???)

[/quote]

Go back and re-read the original post; I think if you calm down and read what was actually written, alot of your questions would be answered.

Excuse me??? “A white thing to say”??? because my parents taught me that one’s color doesn’t define who you are, is a white thing?? That makes no sense. We live in America, We’ve had immigrants (like my family) who come from all walks of life, all culturals and have all different color skin who have worked hard and acheived the “American Dream”.

And since some asked earlier yes i am from the south…Houston actually…And maybe that why I see things differently. Houston is very diverse. Lots of mixing of culturals so yes there are pockets of individual culturals but you don’t get these huge ethics distinics. And yes i understand Brown v Board of the Education. I have read it not only my secondary and college level education (BA in History) but as a Law student we have studied it in depth in Con Law. I also understand the historical struggles of Blacks in America with slavery, the civil rights movements along with the struggles today of establish a middle class.

I asked the question more because i was taken back that one’s indentity in the black community is defined by whether they stay within the standard of that community and one of those standards is that you can’t marry outside your race. I would have thought and figured within today’s society we would have been passed that. But i guess after reading this article and this thread that i shouldn’t be taken back anymore. Forgive me for thinking we had all grown as people and a society.

P.S…you might have wanted to mention Loving v. Virginia instead of Brown vs Board because Loving was specifically about interracial marriage and how having a law against it in SC was unconsitutional under Equal Protection.

I wonder if he could be addicted to sex? To cheat with so many people and on so many people sounds like he has no control over his emotions

He started golf a a very young child, perhaps in some way he is compensating for all of the years he lost doing the kinds of stuff kids do?

On some level he might have resented it

[quote="Thekla, post:14, topic:178610"]
That's such a white thing to say. Did you learn nothing from the research of Brown v. Board of Education?

[/quote]

Thats such a racist thing to say. How do you know Beckers is white?

In one of the cases rolled into Brown v. Board of Education, an expert witness was called by the name of Kenneth Clark. He had conducted a study of black children using baby dolls in which the children consistently identified the white baby doll as pretty and good and the black baby doll as ugly and bad. In similar studies throughout the decades, similar results were found.

My reason for pointing this out is because self-esteem issues in the black community grow from society and childhood. It really shouldn’t be that surprising to understand why blacks would exhibit resentment for Tiger’s apparent preference for white dolls.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.