Tiger saga widens his distance from blacks

So you have reduced Woods wife, the mother of their two children, to nothing more than a “white doll” Do you think Woods betrayed his race by marrying a white woman?

No. I don’t think that he “betrayed his race.” You fall in love with who you fall in love with. His wife is the victim in all of this and I think that the 3-iron was a good choice. The question was how could blacks be angry over the race of his many adulterous partners.

Do you believe that Blacks should be more mad at him than anyone else? If so isnt that a racist attitude on their part? Doesnt that fly in the face of what Blacks fought so hard for in Loving vs Va?

I don’t have an opinion on whether they should or not. I see it as a matter of understanding. I am able to understand why they may be more angry. Just like I understand why black women, in particular, find it so galling. I do not understand why that person in South Carolina would compare Michelle Obama to a gorilla. That’s racism.

A racist attitude attempts to dehumanize others out of a sense of entitlement. Not being a racist doesn’t mean that you are not conscious of race.

I’m not so sure about the 3-iron…but then I’m not a caddy. Did she have a caddy?

Racism has been defined by the left so that it can only be applied to whites.
Otherwise of course the attitudes displayed against Tiger Woods as in both the OP and subsequently as the thread winds down are inherently racist.

To show special contempt for the man mainly because of his white sexual partners, to think that he is somewhat less ‘black’ for marrying a ‘white’ is overtly racist.

Or it would be, if people outside of the white race could be defined as holding racist attitudes.

I don’t think that it even occurs to him how racist they are being with these attitudes actually.

[quote="Thekla, post:24, topic:178610"]
I don't have an opinion on whether they should or not. I see it as a matter of understanding. I am able to understand why they may be more angry. Just like I understand why black women, in particular, find it so galling. I do not understand why that person in South Carolina would compare Michelle Obama to a gorilla. That's racism.

A racist attitude attempts to dehumanize others out of a sense of entitlement. Not being a racist doesn't mean that you are not conscious of race.

[/quote]

So, you would be okay with white women being angry with a white man marrying a black woman then, as well? Does the race "consciousness" work both ways? Can a white person have a problem with white people marrying black people and not be racist? I'm really confused.

So if a white man objects to a black man marrying a white woman thats racist,. But if a black man objects to a black man marrying a white woman thats understandable?

Dont you think you dehumanized Woods wife when you refered to her as a “white doll”

[quote="estesbob, post:28, topic:178610"]
So if a white man objects to a black man marrying a white woman thats racist,. But if a black man objects to a black man marrying a white woman thats undrstandable?

Dont you think you dehumanized Woods wife when you refered to her as a "white doll"

[/quote]

I do

[quote="wabrams, post:16, topic:178610"]
Several blacks I worked with thought that if he would have had a white wife, he would have been "selling out."

[/quote]

Just curious, how did they arrive on that topic, anyway? It's strange that they would be so eager to bring up such a remote and irrelevant hypothetical like that.

[quote="rlg94086, post:25, topic:178610"]
I'm not so sure about the 3-iron...but then I'm not a caddy. Did she have a caddy?

[/quote]

Jesper (the Swedish golfer) said that she should have used the driver, but the club head could fall off. With the 3-iron, there isn't as much chance of that happening.

Tiger’s mother is Asian, and his dad was the usual southern mix of white-black and red. The blacks claimed him because of his looks.

No, it doesn’t work both ways. Whites, as a race, don’t have the same sort of esteem issues. A white person who has a problem with white people marrying black people usually does so because they consider whites to be superior. Which is what racism is.

[quote="Thekla, post:31, topic:178610"]
Jesper (the Swedish golfer) said that she should have used the driver, but the club head could fall off. With the 3-iron, there isn't as much chance of that happening.

[/quote]

A 1-iron would probably have been best then, but I don't think too many golfers have them in their bags anymore.

So, you are saying black people have poor self esteem as a race? Isn’t that a racist attitude?

I will take it a step further. American blacks grew up under a racial hierarchy system on which they were on the bottom. For Jim Crow purposes any known Black/African ancestry made you black, not multi racial, not Indian/Native American, not White, not multiethnic. The so-called single drop rule. So black Latino’s’ in America were colored. The Halle Barry’s, Mariah Carey’s, Barack Obama’s and Eldridge (Tiger) Woods of the world were by default Colored, then Negro, then Black.

Then the world changed instead of trying to pass for White those who qualified as Black under the single drop rule proudly proclaimed their Blackness. President Obama being a prime example of a man who almost never claims his multi racial heritage. He is Black or more African the most African Americans, although no ancestor of his had to recover from American racial policies.

Tiger Woods is a special case, many Blacks have married outside the race, Clarence Thomas is looked down upon because of politics, if he were liberal nothing would be said about his wife. Tiger on the other hand, long before he married a blond Swedish supermodel did not proudly proclaim his Blackness. In fact he made up his own designator for his race: Cablinasian. That is the root of his problem not that he didn’t choose Black mistresses to cheat on his trophy wife with.

I assume that he and his wife fell in love. As for black women, it’s understandable because the number of eligible black men (not millionaires, just regular guys) is much lower than eligible black women.

[quote="4Squarebaby, post:36, topic:178610"]
I will take it a step further. American blacks grew up under a racial hierarchy system on which they were on the bottom. For Jim Crow purposes any known Black/African ancestry made you black, not multi racial, not Indian/Native American, not White, not multiethnic. The so-called single drop rule. So black Latino's' in America were colored. The Halle Barry's, Mariah Carey's, Barack Obama's and Eldridge (Tiger) Woods of the world were by default Colored, then Negro, then Black.

Then the world changed instead of trying to pass for White those who qualified as Black under the single drop rule proudly proclaimed their Blackness. President Obama being a prime example of a man who almost never claims his multi racial heritage. He is Black or more African the most African Americans, although no ancestor of his had to recover from American racial policies.

Tiger Woods is a special case, many Blacks have married outside the race, Clarence Thomas is looked down upon because of politics, if he were liberal nothing would be said about his wife. Tiger on the other hand, long before he married a blond Swedish supermodel did not proudly proclaim his Blackness. In fact he made up his own designator for his race: Cablinasian. That is the root of his problem not that he didn't choose Black mistresses to cheat on his trophy wife with.

[/quote]

His Mother is Korean-why was it incumbent on him to declare himslef as black?

So if a white man objects to a black man marrying a white woman thats racist,. But if a black man objects to a black man marrying a white woman thats understandable?

Like Hines Ward the Superbowl MVP. He proclaims himself as Black and Korean and Blacks are instantly accepting Koreans are not. He was on the cover of a Korean/American magazine after his MVP award and the letters page the next month had printed letters about how dare they give a Black man “our” cover. No complaints came from Black magazines like Ebony , Tiger’s mother is Thai, His father was stationed there in the USAF during Vietnam.

Anyway the answer is because:p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.