Tiger Woods' apology brings new attention to Buddhism

[**(CNN) – When Tiger Woods invoked his religious faith during his public apology on Friday, he readily acknowledged that a lot of people would be surprised.

“People probably don’t realize it,” he said, “but I was raised a Buddhist, and I actively practiced my faith from childhood until I drifted away from it in recent years.”

When allegations of Woods’ infidelity began emerging after a November 27 car accident, Fox News Channel host Brit Hume stirred controversy by publicly advising the golf pro to become a Christian.

“He’s said to be a Buddhist – I don’t think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith,” Hume said. “So my message to Tiger would be: Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world.”

But Buddhist scholars say that forgiveness and redemption are core components of the faith. “You’re always beginning again in the Buddhist tradition,” said John Kornfield, a prominent Buddhist teacher based in California. “You see that you’re causing harm, you repent and ask forgiveness in some formal or informal way, and you start again.”**](“http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/02/19/tiger.woods.buddhism/index.html?hpt=C1”)

Mr.Woods is doing exactly what the Buddha taught. Mr. Woods found the things that caused him suffering, which was his craving for sexual desires, and is currently trying to eliminate it. I think it’s great that he’s coming back to his childhood faith.

I can’t help but feel a bit of empathy for him. It wasn’t too long ago in which I too read the great words in the Tipitaka and had to decide what caused me suffering in my life. He too must walk this path. Likely, I will have to walk this path if I forget the truth in the Dhamma.

maybe all of this has a purpose and will re-awaken Tiger's spiritual life and he will return to those core values that he feels he learned in Buddhism. it was interesting that he brought this up.

i don't know anything about his wife's religious background, but i hope that they will be able to heal after all of this. he has committed many transgressions against his wife and has caused a lot of harm to a lot of people.

it sounds like the program he is in is helping him to see the error of his ways and he is looking to atone for his mistakes.

10 women came forward. One said she had been seeing him for 30 months, which would have encompassed both pregnancies. If he had been faithful for a few years of marriage, then gone astray with 1 or 2 women, then it's a very different story, still not acceptable.

His image was molded and formed to sell products. Plain and simple. We have no real way of knowing if he even Truly loved the trophy wife if he had at least 10 women on the side. Does he even know what True love is? Maybe society needs a referesher on the definiton of Love. His image was molded, so we don't know if the apology was sincere, or designed to protect the financial interests.

What is treatment for sex addiction anyway? Isn't that just self-control? They tell you to keep it in your pants? Do they lecture you on having character, class, and morals? Duh.

Money and fame can't buy character, class, and morals. This is why a lack of money and fame is actually saving many people from screwing up their lives faster and harder.

With so many arranged marriages in Indochina, do Buddhists have the same definition of love and marriage?

"In five ways, young householder, should a wife as the West be ministered to by a husband:

(i) by being courteous to her,
(ii) by not despising her,
(iii) by being faithful to her,
(iv) by handing over authority to her,
(v) by providing her with adornments. [the ancient 401K for wives was ornaments.]

"The wife thus ministered to as the West by her husband shows her compassion to her husband in five ways:

(i) she performs her duties well,
(ii) she is hospitable to relations and attendants
(iii) she is faithful,
(iv) she protects what he brings,
(v) she is skilled and industrious in discharging her duties.
"In these five ways does the wife show her compassion to her husband who ministers to her as the West.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.