Till this generation has passed away

Jesus said these things(judgement day, abomination of desolation) will not happen until this generation has passed. Could this generation refer to the Real Presence of the Eucharist somehow?

Which leads to my second question, which is, is it possible to NOT have the Real Presence on Earth at any time is history? Specifically, the persecutions by the son of perdition? Could it be that the Real Presence “passes away” shortly before the Second Coming???

That is from the Olivet Discourse in Mark 13, Matthew 24 and Luke 21.

Many will disagree but I believe that all of the things Jesus spoke about - desolating sacrilege, fleeing to the hills, wars, etc. - were fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

-Tim-

Certainly that is part of what he predicted, however, I am just curious as to whether the discourse also had end times implications or not? Does the Church have an official stance on it?

The real presence of the Eucharist happened with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is the sacrificial gift that Jesus gave us. It has to do with the end times because if we receive the body and blood of our Lord we will be risen by Jesus on the last day.

John 6:54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

Until then we can get glimpses of heaven when we receive the body and blood of Our Lord.

Contrary to that, Jesus also said:

John 6:53 Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

True, but is it possible that that wrinkle in time we call the mass is not celebrated? is it possible for the mass to not be said anywhere in the world for a historical time period?

The mass is a unending feast that is celebrated since the Last Supper. There is no time when Jesus is not present in the world so no… We are a Eucharistic people who carry Jesus Christ with us and Jesus made it very clear to us that He will remains with us until the day of Judgement at the second Coming of Jesus Christ at the end of age.

Matthew 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Sigh. Fine. Then will there ever be a time where no priest on Earth cannot anywhere dispense the Sacrifice’s graces through Holy Communion and/or the Blessed Sacrament?

Let me put it this way. ‘We are what we eat’ or when we consume Christ, Christ consumes us. Even if we can’t receive the Eucharist at the mass due to circumstances beyond our control, we still have the body and blood of Jesus inside us as part of our being so Jesus doesn’t leave us as long as we remain In Christ He remains in us.

John 14:20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

Maybe this should clear things up for you. We as Christians are supposed to have enduring faith despite what happens till the end of age where there will be a great harvest.

Revelation 14:

12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and hold fast to the faith of Jesus.

13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who from now on die in the Lord.” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them.”

Reaping the Earth’s Harvest
14 Then I looked, and there was a white cloud, and seated on the cloud was one like the Son of Man, with a golden crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand!

Hi ialsop, this topic was recently discussed here

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=12477437#post12477437

I also have been thinking along the same lines as you and thought through to the a conclusion.

You get the feeling that what happened in the past will happen again in the future like it is repeating itself but on a bigger scale.

The words of Our Lord indicate such a thing will not happen.*Mt. 28:20 … and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age."

Mt.16:18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.*
If the Mass were to cease before the end of time, it would mean the “gates of hell” had prevailed .

The Sacrifice of the Mass is the means Our Lord established to make present on earth the fruits of His redemption. Catechism of the Catholic Church
#1366 The Eucharist is thus a sacrifice …, and because it applies its fruit:[INDENT]…{he wanted) to leave to his beloved spouse the Church a visible sacrifice…,its memory perpetuated until the end of the world, and its salutary power be applied to the forgiveness of the sins we daily commit. 189
189 Council of Trent

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P41.HTM[/INDENT]

In the OT, the manna was a “type” of the Eucharist. It is interesting therefore to note that the manna continued throughout the years up until the day the Israelites entered the Promised Land.
*Joshua 5:11-12 And on the morrow after the passover, on that very day, they ate of the produce of the land, unleavened cakes and parched grain. And the manna ceased on the morrow, when they ate of the produce of the land; and the people of Israel had manna no more, but ate of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year. *

Mass is not celebrated from 3:00 PM on Good Friday until Easter Vigil.

It’s too early to celebrate the vigil in the first time zone by the time the last time zone reaches 3:00 PM on Good Friday. There is likely a two or three hour period yearly during Holy Saturday where no Mass is celebrated anywhere.

-Tim-

I don’t think we’re talking about a Mass being celebrated during every hour or even daily. For example, after Our Lord’s resurrection, there weren’t enough priests for there to be a Mass being celebrated every hour. The OP was talking about “a historical time period” (Post #6) where the Mass would not be celebrated. That’s a period of many years.

Hi Nita,

Please read the post: forums.catholic.com/showthrea…7#post12477437

Here Living and I are making the point that the Mass is taken away (prevented) just prior to the Second Coming.

CCC 675 - Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.

I cannot believe that during the final days that the Antichrist would allow Mass to be celebrated in St Peters by valid priests. i.e. the persecution of the Church will involve eliminating one way or another the laity and the priests. I work in IT and it is already possible to profile most of the people on the internet, so tracking down a few hundred thousand priests would be easier today than in pre globalisation days, and in the future this will only get realtime using GPS etc.

Unlike Good Friday, which is a temporary state due to the Church’s liturgical calendar, if their are no priests left to celebrate Mass at all, then there is no prospect of the Sacrifice being made on earth. The gates of Hades will seem to have finally prevailed, but as this cannot be, so that is the point in historical time of the Second Coming, i.e. the end of time.

‘Living’ links this to the Wedding Feast at Cana, which I agree with, where Our Lady points out to Our Lord that “they have no wine”, and that this is a prediction of the conditions just prior to the Second Coming.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.