Tim Lahaye's Left Behind Series

Hi does anyone able to read the “Left Behind Series” of Tim Lahaye? Like the other Protestant pastors, Lahaye I think being able to read his books was supporting the pre-millennial kingdom and very much a patron of rapture. I would like to know your insights to those who were able to read his series and if whatever he claims in his novels are based on scripture? Thank you in advance for your input guys.

My wife read all the series, and I read the first one back before I converted and she returned to the Catholic Church. She liked them, but I thought the first one was really cheesy. They are full of doctrine that is contrary to Catholic teaching, and the companion volume about the end times by Lahaye and Jenkins is so full of errors (not debatable doctrine, but actual errors) that it is laughable. Don’t waste your time.

If you are going to read the series please read, “will catholics be left behind” by Carl Olson. He basically goes through the bible and shows how the pre-millennialists made up the “rapture,” about two hundred years ago. There really isn’t much scriptural support for the the Left Behind Series unless you choose to force things that are not there. In addition, LeHaye uses very subtle anti-catholic messages in his book. For instance, The Pope gets raptured, so he is “saved,” great for Catholics right, yet you findout that the Pope was a radical and was changing the Church to more of a Protestant stance. The new Pope then goes on the help the antichrist and his government. Not really Catholic friendly stance when you consider that the premise is the Holy Father is helping to usher in the antichrist.

Simple things like that seem to get overlooked in the series. Like I said if you are going to read the series make sure you understand where the errors are in his theories. Read the Carl Olson book first. Or at least the Rapture Trap by Paul Thigpen who goes into the same thing as Olson but not as in depth.

I have several Protestant friends that have tried to persuade me to read it. I have no desire. I’ve heard they are very anti-Catholic.

amazon.com/Surprised-Hope-Rethinking-Resurrection-Mission/dp/0061551821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317311627&sr=8-1

The theology in the them is incorrect and scriptural. If you want a theologically correct view on Catholic beliefs on life after death, I like NT Wright’s Surprised by Hope, which with one or two minor exceptions is very good.

I did a quick search for you and found that there are many threads on CAF regarding the Left Behind books (and movie). Following are a few links to older discussions of the books. There are pages more, but I’ll post these FYI.

Where does “Left Behind” go wrong?
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=245326&highlight=rapture

Tim LaHaye: Left Behind Series
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=2403

Catholics Read Tim Lahaye, Other?
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=21233

Left Behind Book Series
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=47569

Left Behind The Series
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=30755

“Left Behind” Books Anti-Catholic?
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=87352

Non Catholic Christians: Left behind anyone?
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=510900

What’s the Protestant view of the new pope, in view of “Left Behind” theology?
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=52017

Hi all!!! Thank you for your insights and recommendations. Does your recommended books have PDF formats? I’ll be reading them in the office. Again, thanks for your inputs :slight_smile: God bless!

I did read the first one. I did not have enough interest to read further volumes. As you know, theologically-speaking it’s not correct and certainly not Catholic. As a work of literature, it’s an okay effort if you just accept from the get-go that you’re reading a dispensationalist adventure novel (a new genre) and leave it at that.

By the way, Some pastors in our country pointed out in one of their “End-Times” sessions that the Antichrist will come from Rome “according” (I put it under quotation marks because when I read the verse, it didn’t point out to a specific place on where the Antichrist will come from besides, the verse itself was vague) to Daniel 9:27. Could it be that these pastors are waiting in vain for that Antichrist because he already came during the glory days of Roman Empire? I need expert advice on these my brothers/sisters because I need clarification?

Have a look at this article for a summary version…

catholic.com/documents/false-profit-money-prejudice-and-bad-theology-in-tim-lahaye%E2%80%99s-left-behind-series

"Recycled Rapture

Are you familiar with this End Times publishing success story? A “Bible prophecy expert” writes a gripping novel about the earth’s final days, opening with the Rapture and an airplane flight and continuing on into the Tribulation period. It features a decent but initially unbelieving reporter, a grief-stricken husband whose wife has been raptured while he and his daughter have been “left behind,” a corrupt Catholic leader who becomes the head of a one-world religion, and a charming but thoroughly evil global dictator, the Antichrist. Published by Tyndale, it sells slowly at first but eventually becomes a bestseller.

The Left Behind books by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins? Nope––guess again.

The apocalyptic novel is Salem Kirban’s 666, originally published by Kirban in 1970, then published by Tyndale a few years later and finally republished in 1998 by AMG Publishers. It was the first and perhaps only Rapture novel of the 1970s and, according to its cover, sold over 500,000 copies in its first ten printings. Kirban’s novel is based on the same sort of over-the-top dispensationalism popularized by Hal Lindsey (whose thirty-million-seller The Late Great Planet Earth was also published in 1970). It is poorly written, stereotypically anti-Catholic (discourses on the evils of Romanism are abundant), and sometimes unintentionally funny (the Pope, one character lectures, is able to “beautify . . . saints”). Kirban, a former Vietnam War correspondent, went on to write a number of books on Bible prophecy and the End Times, including his own “reference Bible.”

Tim Lahaye also has a Prophecy Study Bible, recently published also by AMG Publishers. Publishing a “reference” or “prophecy study” Bible in the mold of Cyrus I. Scofield’s influential Reference Bible is apparently a sign that an author has reached expert status in the lucrative and increasingly competitive world of biblical prophecy—or, more precisely, of interpreting what the Bible supposedly states about the future. There is plenty of jockeying for position at the top of the Rapture literary heap, as a visit to your local Christian bookstore will confirm.

Which brings us back to the plot of Lahaye and Jenkins’ Left Behind story (now eight books in length and heading for a total of twelve) and Kirban’s 666. They are remarkably similar, as this comparison shows:"…

Entire article at Catholic.com: archive.catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0109fea3.asp

The series is a work of fiction. Why are any of you trying to use these fantasy books as some kind of reference?

Did someone say they were using the books as some kind of reference? I provided links to several other older threads discussing the books and an article here on Catholic.com, but nothing more than that. I don’t think I read that someone is using the books as reference and most posts were at least skeptical, if not negative about the books, but I’ll reread this thread because I think I must have just missed that.

read them when I was a cafeteria Catholic, thought they were wimps for not shooting people when they were defending petra, and since then threw away the books due to my dislike of them and what they stand for.

Wow thanks! I thought I was the only one who noticed that Lahaye’s notions in his books are anti-Catholic (in my point-of-view though). Sadly, most Protestants fell for it like it was authoritatively written since they consider Tim Lahaye as an Eschatological expert.

Yep, I’ll admit, I read 'em all, more as entertainment, really. But, I wanted to understand more of concepts like the Great Tribulation, the Rapture, the antichrist and all.

I was sufficiently interested that I kept on buying them. That was about five years ago.

I’ve recently discovered Peter Kreeft, and when I heard his take on LaHaye’s writing, I had to agree: it’s not very good.

I also have the three movies (yep, hook, line and sinker) and the people they have playing the characters didn’t fit my image of them… particularly the antichrist.

I’m pretty dense when it comes to detecting anti-catholicism, but I didn’t pick up on anything overt, with the glaring exception of the Pope (raised up from the archbishop of Cincinnati) hooking up with the antichrist and demanding his plane :slight_smile:

I’m not sure, wasn’t this just another christian story?
It takes place after the Rapture. (the people ‘left behind’ because of unbelief. God is giving them a second chance, so to speak.)
I saw the DVD, I found it entertaining, but I didn’t take it as a real occurance.
The Rapture isn’t accepted by all Christians.

bluelake

I read the books…all 12, by borrowing them from the Library. It is the Rapture believer’s take on the end times, and how this belief is portrayed.

It actually forced me to investigate further, to read Revelation…and learned of the Catholic position on this…and I found out that their version of the Tribulation is not as per Revelation.

:thumbsup:

Indeed because there are a lot of notions in that series that is not in line with the scriptures. The rapture has no basis i should say

What makes you think most protestants fell for it?

Also, why do you think anyone considers Lahaye an eschatological expert?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.