Time for Stations of the Cross?

Is there a preferred time for the Stations of the Cross, like there is for the Angelus (noon) and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy (3:00 PM)?

In preparation for Lent I’ve loaded these prayers on my MP3 player. I’ve been doing the stations at 9 AM, which gives a nice symmetry with the other two.

DaveBj

Nobody even has an opinion? Dang! :frowning:

DaveBj

Hi Dave. :wave: To the best of my knowledge… there is no preferred time to pray the Stations of the Cross.

However, I would suggest either 12 Noon… the hour at which Our Lord was nailed to the Cross… or 3:00 p.m., when He breathed His last. 3:00 p.m. is also known as “The Hour of Mercy”… because our redemption was accomplished by Jesus, through His Death (traditionally held to be at 3:00 o’clock).

I would also recommend saying the Stations on Friday, especially… although any day is probably fine. Friday, of course… being the day of His Sorrowful Passion.

I hope this helps in some way. God bless.

Is there a preferred time for the Stations of the Cross, like there is for the Angelus (noon) and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy (3:00 PM)?

Actually, the Angelus is supposed to be done morning, noon, and evening–three times a day.

0600, 1200, and 1800, to be exact. And I learned this from the TV series “Dirty Jobs,” of all things. They were cleaning bells in the bellfry of a Catholic church, and all of a sudden one of them went off at noon–14 peals. The man that ?Michael Rowe? was working with explained what was going on, and mentioned the other times that the bells go off automatically.

Sometimes you can learn Catholic lore from the most unlikely sources.

DaveBj

I’m having a bit of trouble with viewing in the forum’s new format. First, it looked like you had no replies - then I saw one before posting…?

I would think anytime of the day is a good time for the Stations of the Cross - particularly on a Friday. If you’re already set to say Divine Mercy Chaplet at 3:00 p.m., (and we’ve already heard about the merits of joining those praying that Chaplet simultaneously) - just pick a time that’s good for you.

What about another country’s 3:00 time zone? Lots of ways to look at it. You could say it same time as Rome’s 3:00 pm or the Holy Land’s = or maybe simultaneously with your local Church’s Station of the Cross Service, if you can’t get there. I can’t always get to Church, so this year I decided to pick up my missal (anytime on a Friday) and read them - saying the same personal meditations as if I were in Church. God loves the effort and the prayer - and the soul putting the consideration into that effort.
May He bless you !

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.