Time To Admit It: The Church Has Always Been Right On Birth Control

Time To Admit It: The Church Has Always Been Right On Birth Control

Painting the Catholic Church as “out of touch” is like shooting fish in a barrel, what with the funny hats and gilded churches. And nothing makes it easier than the Church’s stance against contraception. Many people, (including our editor) are wondering why the Catholic Church doesn’t just ditch this requirement. They note that most Catholics ignore it, and that most everyone else finds it divisive, or “out-dated.” C’mon! It’s the 21st century, they say! Don’t they SEE that it’s STUPID, they scream.

Here’s the thing, though: the Catholic Church is the world’s biggest and oldest organization. It has buried all of the greatest empires known to man, from the Romans to the Soviets. It has establishments literally all over the world, touching every area of human endeavor. It’s given us some of the world’s greatest thinkers, from Saint Augustine on down to René Girard. When it does things, it usually has a good reason. Everyone has a right to disagree, but it’s not that they’re a bunch of crazy old white dudes who are stuck in the Middle Ages.

So, what’s going on?
[LEFT]
Read more: businessinsider.com/time-to-admit-it-the-church-has-always-been-right-on-birth-control-2012-2#ixzz2sK4zK9dK
[/LEFT]

Yes, Paul VI was a true prophet:

vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

:thumbsup:

Very, very true.

Feminism is a good idea, but it went too far. Now, we have opened up the workplace but parenting is being done by many single mothers.

Isn’t there a way to have both?

Sad but true. Of course problems began much before the legalization of the pill. Small families started early in the 20th century, not sure when but it was evident by the 50’s, so some form of birth control was being widely practiced before then. The question is how to reverse the trend?

Linus2nd

Correlation is not causation. As a writer, Dougherty should know this.

Whatever we say or do. It is a fact that a huge majority of Catholics have decided to reject the Church’s teaching on birth control. It is a reality that we have to deal with. How many families do we see with 7 or 8 children? Not many,

This fact is implicity accepted in most parishes I think.

Is this all due to the Pill? Of course not. But the idea that widely-available contraception hasn’t led to dramatic societal change, or that this change has been exclusively to the good, is a much sillier notion than anything the Catholic Church teaches.

My sentiments.

I think the pill shifted the responsibility of getting pregnant from men to women. I think the feminists over-emphasized sexual freedom for women and that was the cue for flaky men to skip out on their responsibility by shifting the blame squarely on the women. Many things happened at once in the sixties, including drugs.

Stay sober and abstain. There is no magic pill. So, yes, the church is right, but the article over-simplifies.

Protestants and Catholics both were united in their teaching against birth control–up until 1930, when the Anglican Church broke ranks on the doctrine, breaking 400 years of Protestant teaching. That was followed by the contraceptive pill in the 50’s and the sexual revolution in the 70’s and beyond. The results have been what Paul VI predicted, and worse. Marriage became uncoupled from children. Children became options and products. Fornication and divorce followed. Gay marriage became inevitable. For anyone interested, Mary Eberstadt lays out the sad statistics in her book “Adam and Eve After the Pill.”

One could say that the pill/abortion gave birth to SS"M".

Yes. It was not apparent at the time, but looking back now, it’s apparent to me that by de-linking sex from procreation, procreation from marriage, and marriage from children, the pill absolutely guaranteed that we would be faced with same sex marriage as well as a host of other ills, including those predicted by Paul VI in his encyclical Humanae Vitae.

Size of family is not directly related to the use of artificial contraception. Yes, people who use abc tend to also have accepted a smaller family as an ideal (be it 1,2,or 4) but small families are also accomplished by infertility, abstinence, or periodic abstinence.

:thumbsup:

I hope no one judges me harshly because we only have one child. We were married in our mid-30s and, yes, I waited, so no other kids. First marriage for both of us. :wink:

The millions of Catholics who left the church or simply ignored the teaching would not agree with you.

Oral contraception did not “give birth” to same sex marriage. How would you explain homosexuality before the existence of the pill?

:ehh:

That isn’t what that means. It’s not like oral contraceptives caused a global genetic mutation in the human race and suddenly gay people started being born.

Acceptance of artificial contraceptives was the crumbling point where marriage shifted from the Socratic-Thomist model to a reformist view, where marriage basically became a glorified emotional bond. In Catholic teaching, conjugal relations are necessarily both procreative and unitive. Homosexual sex is the ultimate contraception because it’s fundamentally never procreative. If it becomes socially acceptable for heterosexual couples to marry and have purely recreational sex with no openness to life, you don’t have much of an argument left for what’s wrong with homosexual relations. Once contraception is okay, the entire covenant starts to unravel itself and makes no sense.

Of course there was homosexuality. But never before in history, anywhere in the world, has there been a concept that ‘marriage’ means anything other than people of the opposite sex. Only by separating sex, procreation, marriage, and children from one another have we opened ourselves to this idea that marriage means absolutely anything anyone wants it to mean–which means in fact that it ultimately will have no meaning.

I didn’t take the poster’s statement in the fashion that you said. You just can’t make a blanket statement that oral contraceptives lead to a “crumbling point” of heterosexual marriage. You have provided no evidence to support this statement. I know what the Church says about contraception, homosexual sex, etc. etc. etc. I’m not questioning that. I’m arguing against posters who give an opinion as if it is grounded in fact when, indeed, it is not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.