Time to take a Catholic Quiz!

I really enjoyed paramedicgirl’s two quizzes over in the traditional forum, so I thought I’d make one of my own. Do you know enough to defend the faith? Try my quiz and report how it went.:slight_smile:

my quiz

BTW, there is no need to answer the first two personal questions. The site automatically puts them there, but they don’t affect your score at all. Also, if you want to try paramedicgirl’s quiz, go here.

I only scored a 70, but I’m not so sure about question 16…

Who currently holds the keys to the kingdom of heaven?

I’m not going to give away the answer, but I didn’t agree with the “correct” answer at all.

PM me if you want to about this!

(figures an apologist would contest his score and the test itself!)

Oops. My bad…I mis-read the question. It actually references the keys to death and hades…:blush:

Just goes to show you what happens when you start talking about keys to a Catholic apologist! :rolleyes:

See the thread, you know you’ve been studying too much Catholicism when… (or in your case, burning the midnight apologetic oil).

Of course, there is no such thing as too much studying the Faith, but cut them some slack, it is in the non-Catholic forum. :smiley:

Got an 80% on this one.

I like the second one better cause I did pretty darn good … no, I don’t want to say what I got on the first one :o

:smiley: … much more study to do!!!

Concerning question 18, the Sacrament of the sick doesn’t use Chrism oil. It uses the Oil of the Sick. So B should be a correct answer as well…

Josh

I got 70% correct. I did not know several of the answers and just took some stabs. Some of tehm were pretty good stabs. :smiley:

I can’t edit it. The shortest way to make it less confusing is:

number 18 option B…does not use oil

I mindlessly thought the “slash” meant the word “or”. So I thought as I was typing, Does not use any type of chrism nor any type of oil. That would be false, because it does use a type of oil. At least, that is what I was thinking when I typed it.:o I should have made the wording better.

I’m not Catholic, but took the quiz for fun. I have a question about the 8th commandment. I thought it was “Thou shall not steal” I see that it’s different in the Catholic version. Why? and How?

The Old Testament gave me the most trouble.

I don’t agree with a few others:

1. Jesus…

became a man just like us, including sin.

means God is with us.

came for the elect only.

had a human will.** - He also had a Divine will. (two wills)**

This would be correct only if the word “Only” is inserted in the last answer. “He had only a human will”. It is correct to say that Christ had a human will because He did.

He did not however come only for the Elect, He came that all might be saved.

1. The sacrament of the sick

only brings spiritual healing, not physical

does not use chrism/oil

can give forgiveness of mortal sin

is correctly done by a deacon or a priest

This Sacrament does not use Sacred Chrism, it uses Oil of the Infirm.

1. Which is called the Universal Sacrament of Salvation?

Marriage

The Church

Confirmation

Death

This is a minor issue because the Word Sacrament is usually only a capitol S when refering to one of the seven Sacraments. The Church is not one of the Seven Sacraments. I avoid using this phrase if at all possible.

BLAST! I got a 95%…curse the Avignon papacy, and curse the system of centuries that’s always one ahead!

Alright, it’s not the centuries’ fault. I honestly couldn’t remember if it was the 1200’s or 1300’s. But I should have know…I should have…sob

Excellent question. Indeed the Catholic numbering and the Protestant numbering differ. Perhaps the best way to explain is to say that on the end, Catholics divide the coveting ones into two, and on the front, Catholics do not break apart the idol one to be separate from not having any other gods before Me. Both ways of listing it include the same information, but what is on each number is different. This makes the Catholic numbering one behind the Protestant numbering for most of them.

Great quiz! It was pretty hard. I got the one on the night time prayers wrong.

You are 90% on the ball!
Wow! You can give the Pope a run for his money. Just memorize every saint and you will have nothing left to learn.

I thought some of your answers were too ambiguous - some of them had answers that could be correct, but were marked as incorrect. Not a very good quiz, I thought.

I’m an atheist, and I scored 85%.

Knowledge is one thing. Belief is quite another.

I got an 80%

That was pretty tough though…good thing I’m lucky :smiley:

I did pretty good. 80 I got the Old and New testament down flat, I have the history and I have the doctrines… But the Sacraments … not so good, only got one of the three sacrament questions, and I cant count commandments, :blush: I know them all, but I only remember the order of the first three. :stuck_out_tongue: As for the greek I have no excuse :shrug: Thanks for the fun

I’m not sure I understand why you disagree with my question, then. For that question, you are supposed to pick the one that is correct to say. It is correct to say that Jesus had a human will. The other choices are wrong to say. Did the test fail to score it that way? Oh! Maybe you are confused by the extra thing it says. For those who missed the problem on account of thinking Jesus didn’t have a human will, I was telling them in the answers section of the quiz that Jesus has two wills. The quiz generator glues that on when you view the answer key.

I had an intermittent problem using the quotes when making the quiz, so in a couple of places I winged it. You have discovered and quoted one of them. I meant to type (but it wouldn’t let me type it):

means “God is with us”.

This one was supposed to trick you if you forgot that it is *Immanuel *that means this. *Jesus *in Hebrew means “God saves”.

I completely agree that Jesus did not come only for the elect. That is supposed to be a wrong one to pick.

does not use chrism/oil

I explained this one in a previous post. It is due to my personalized mental shorthand of a slash. My fault. I did not mean to imply that all of the oils are chrism. There is definitely more than one flask in our ambry.:thumbsup:

1. Which is called the Universal Sacrament of Salvation?

This is a minor issue because the Word Sacrament is usually only a capitol S when refering to one of the seven Sacraments. The Church is not one of the Seven Sacraments. I avoid using this phrase if at all possible.

This minor issue was caused by the thing I pointed out above, that it was refusing to let me do what I wanted from time to time. I wanted to put quotes or italics to make it clear that it was one whole phrase, and I wasn’t sure if it would let me because of the hassle it gave me on another question, so I just capitalized it to simulate italics or quotes. Sorry for that.

Glad you enjoyed it, Polaris. The reason I made it was so that you all could have a bit of fun, that’s all, because I had fun with paramedicgirl’s quiz.

[quote=SemperUbiSubUbi]curse the Avignon papacy, and curse the system of centuries that’s always one ahead!

[/quote]

heh, heh, heh.:smiley: Repeat after me

the 1900’s were in the 20th century…

[quote=Regi]I thought some of your answers were too ambiguous
[/quote]

I agree I could have done a better job. Hope you had some fun, though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.