time traveller.

Is the person in this film clip a time traveller, a old lady with a old fashion hearing aid. Or just cgi?
news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/8113964/time-traveller-makes-appearance-in-chaplin-film

If it’s cgi. Then it’s very very well done.

I read about this on the Daily Mail website.

Strange and interesting indeed.

Unfortunately, I’m leaning towards a mentally ill person.

Goin’ viral all over the web just in time for Halloween:
foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/27/time-traveler-spied-chaplin-film/

Now, personally, if I wanted to go back in time and show up in a movie it would a Three Stooges short.
I mean…who wouldn’t want to be slapped by Moe?
:wink:

…or a schizophrenic talking into his whiskey flask.

…or a man with an ear or tooth ache pressing against a warmed flask of water.

This gave me a good smile this “morning” :slight_smile:

I say “morning” because I’m on night shifts this week. sigh

Most likely explaination:
hearing.siemens.com/ca/10-about-us/01-our-history/milestones.jsp?year=1924

I’m going to go with a 1920s era hearing aid. Other people on the street pass her and don’t consider her actions odd so it doesn’t seem like she’s using a then totally unknown piece of technology. A hearing aid, unlike a cell phone, would be operable in the time period. It also makes sense that she might be talking to herself, if she’d just seen the movie or walked out of a neighboring store she might be trying to adjust the device for “street wear.”

I think we have two threads on the same subject. The other seems to be here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=507322

Maybe the mods can do us a merge if they aren’t busy.

I agree with JustaServant - it looks like a hearing aid to me. Other people on the street pass her and don’t consider her actions odd so it doesn’t seem like she’s doing something terribly odd like talking on a nonexistent tech device. It might even make sense to have her talking to herself. If she’d just seen the movie or walked out of a neighboring store she might be trying to adjust the device for “street wear” and speaking to test the volume.

The lady could also be simply shielding her eyes from the sun while talking to the man walking in front of her–not realizing how far away he is from her. I’ve lost track of how far away my dh was from me when holding my hand up to my eyes. In any case, it’s certainly not evidence of anyone talking on a cellphone nor that she time traveled. As fun as it is to speculate about it, it’s just not very likely.

Wow, that’s a woman? My bad.

I say its a hoax,

had no idea hearing aides were in the 20’s!

if i could go back it to have myself recast as the lead in Nosferatu! lol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.