Time travellers could use parallel dimensions to visit the past, scientists claim

THERE are multiple timelines playing out in parallel universes, according to a team of researchers.

The sensational claim was made by a team of physicists, who believe that the parallel universes can all affect one another.

Professor Howard Wiseman and Dr Michael Hall, from Griffith University’s Centre for Quantum Dynamics, claim that the idea of parallel universes is more than just science fiction.

news.com.au/technology/science/space/time-travellers-could-use-parallel-dimensions-to-visit-the-past-scientists-claim/news-story/2305848205a4d8345dfbdbd240f0a486

I don’t see the experimental evidence to back up the theory.

I say the same about witches, demons, and the Bible.

The difference is this theory is not even claimed as truth by those who propose it - only a possibility. Whereas the Bible is supported by lots of independent first-hand testimony. It’s not the same as scientific evidence, but it is much more than this parallel dimensions speculation.

Now all we have to do is wait for the time travelers to show up. What’s taking them so long?

Well, following this, time travelers from our own dimension would never show up in our dimensions, which means that we’re relying on time travelers from other dimensions. I think we all know that those guys are just rude, and probably wouldn’t bother trying to warn us about anything.

BioNerd, have you ever held a Bible? There’s your experimental evidence. It definitely exists.

Now, if your were trying to be snarky about the contents of the Bible, I’d kindly remind you that the claims of the Bible are not scientific positions, they’re metaphysical. That means that science can’t actually tell us anything about them. Science can certainly point towards or away from them, but metaphysics is beyond the realm of science. That is why we primarily focus on philosophy. There are more kinds of knowledge than scientific knowledge ^^

I agree with you in principle. However, I might point out that there are no few discoveries nowadays that actually verify some of the things in the Bible, or might. There is scientific knowledge about how the eruption of Thera could have caused all of the plagues of Egypt. There is scientific knowledge of isotopes indicating massive comet or asteroid destruction in the approximate location of Sodom and Gomorrah. And how could the “Big Bang” be more exquisitely expressed for pre-scientific people than “…Let there be light”?

I guess I generalized a bit too much. There are plenty of things within the Bible that science can speak to, but there are also plenty of things that are outside the scope of what science can address, which was my main point. ^^

MWI - where quantum mechanics meets philosophy. Good luck with that.

Isn’t this just what the Crichton novel Timeline is about?

I read an interview/ article about CERN not too long ago and if I remember correctly, they claimed thru some of their experiments they believed they had either found proof other dimensions do exist, or found a way to access them, like opening a window.

There is much we do not understand about this world, I would bet eventually they will figure out a way to do this, but Im not sure we would even be aware time travel was happening or had happened/ will happen.

Going back in time in our universe would involve logical contradictions such as what would happen if you killed your great grandfather when he was two years old. That of course is too drastic, but there are similar inconsistencies that could develop if you made changes in the past.
Assuming a parallel universe, which is not at all certain or even likely, if you are going back in time in a parallel universe, then I suggest that you would see these same inconsistencies in that universe.

Did Barry mess up the timeline again? (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashpoint_(comics)

:rotfl:

Further, time travelers from the past could seriously put one group of people out of work in no time; scholar historians.

If there are time travelers from the past, are they just going to stop here, 2016 or are they going to go further and further in time:shrug:

if a theory can’t be tested scientifically, it ain’t science. my guess is multiverse theory is unverifiable using scientific methods, much like religion.

I’ll believe in the science of it when somebody goes back and returns with directions to the Lost Dutchman Mine or Atlantis or something. :slight_smile:

It can be tested, read a little about what they are doing at CERN, its very hard to understand, but the science is there to recognize the existence and may eventually lead to access, but this may not be the same thing as time travel, in the way most people think of it anyways.

Plus, the old, if you went back and killed your grandfather question does not take into consideration that nature probably has some ‘built in’ defenses against this kind of thing, we may not have a clue what they are or how they work, but I bet if this technology is ever achieved, we will learn ALOT of new things really quick.

Also a short story by Larry Niven, All the Myriad Ways. After a company called Crosstime learns to jump to adjacent worlds people start committing suicide because they realise none of their decisions matter. They married, or didn’t or married a different person or were never born.

This qualifies as comic-book style speculation only. Nothing to see or learn here.

They must have watched the original Ghostbusters. Partial quote from Ray to Gozer: “… order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.”

Ed

I have actually, I got to the point where there’s a bunch of “begat so and so” and lost interest. So I’ll give it the same judgement I give time traveling. Same with demons and ouija boards, which humorously a lot of people do believe in here, lol. Philosophy to me is as useful as a major in philosophy. Or Kylie Jenner’s high school diploma.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.