Timeline of events around Jesus' birth

I cannot make the timeline for Jesus’ birth, visit by the magi, the flight to Egypt, the slaying of the innocents and the presentation work. The presentation was to have been at 40 days. The visitation of the magi, flight to Egypt and seems to have before that . If so they were already gone before the 40 days.

1 Like

Welcome deacondonc, I too have read and tried to make a timeline… I’m visiting in case someone gives you an answer to your question… :slight_smile:

I believe there was a post regarding this question recently. I’ll try to find it.

I searched Timeline Jesus Birth

Each of the Gospel writers tell us of what was most important to make their point: that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, God Incarnate. They were writing 2,000 years ago and while they were giving us the history of Christ, it was not history as we in 2020 understand history; nor was it written as historians; it was written as kerygma - the news that God had taken on human flesh and dwelt amongst us.

The magi - what little we know is that Herod went on a killing spree, killing children 2 and under; and that clue could indicate that the magi showed up 6 months, a year, or maybe almost 2 years after Christ was born. But the issue is that Gentiles were acknowledging Christ.

The rest, I don’t try to sort out. It isn’t important to me in terms of time line.

1 Like

It’s possible that after the Magi departed, the Holy Family went to Jerusalem for the presentation, and then to Ein Kerem, to visit Elizabeth and Zechariah and the baby John the Baptist, not far from Bethlehem. Joseph’s dream may have happened there, after Herod realized the Magi had avoided him.

1 Like

Yes… and it answered any potential confusions…

The magi came after the presentation in the Temple because the two turtle doves or young pigeons was only permitted for the poor. The normal offering was a young male lamb. I have done a chronology of Jesus’ life that briefly includes His early years. http://www.scripturescholar.com/ChronologyJesus.pdf p. 19 and 88.

1 Like

Thank you Bruce. It’ll take me some time to get through your paper and very much appreciate the work you have put into it.

Deacon Don & Ellie

Towson, Maryland

May God Bless your day and all that you do for His glory.

Bruce_Killian

February 13

deacondonc:
I cannot make the timeline for Jesus’ birth, visit by the magi, the flight to Egypt, the slaying of the innocents and the presentation work. The presentation was to have been at 40 days. The visitation of the magi, flight to Egypt and seems to have before that . If so they were already gone before the 40 days.

The magi came after the presentation in the Temple because the two turtle doves or young pigeons was only permitted for the poor. The normal offering was a young male lamb. I have done a chronology of Jesus’ life that briefly includes His early years. http://www.scripturescholar.com/ChronologyJesus.pdf p. 19 and 88.

Petra22, thanks, this is what I came up with today in my research. I did get something from another member but its over 100 typed pages, without pictures, and I didn’t get into it yet, but hope to soon.

Deacon Don & Ellie

Towson, Maryland

(Attachment Jesus Christ first days events in chronological order matching geographic references in the bible.doc is missing)

The presentation was certainly before the magi visited since they offered a less than prescribed sacrifice. Theirs was the sacrifice of the poor, vs a lamb.

Deacon Don & Ellie

Towson, Maryland

Neithan

February 13

deacondonc:
The visitation of the magi, flight to Egypt and seems to have before that .

It’s possible that after the Magi departed, the Holy Family went to Jerusalem for the presentation, and then to Ein Kerem, to visit Elizabeth and Zechariah and the baby John the Baptist, not far from Bethlehem. Joseph’s dream may have happened there, after Herod realized the Magi had avoided him.

ein kerem

Thanks Petra 22. Please see attached pdf file on my research today.

Deacon Don & Ellie

Towson, Maryland

(Attachment Timeline for Jesus first few months addressing seeming disputable geographic references.pdf is missing)

Deacon Don & Ellie

Towson, Maryland

(Attachment Timeline for Jesus first few months addressing seeming disputable geographic references.pdf is missing)

I don’t know how you get the flight to Egypt being before that. Perhaps you think that Herod decreed the killing of the Innocents right after hearing about the baby king from the Magi. Not so. Especially because the Bible implies that while the Magi saw the guiding star, not Herod not the High Priest. I am sure the first thing Herod did after hearing the story and calling the High Priest was to go to the roof to see the star and when he did not see it, lost credibility in the story. It was only months maybe a year later when more evidence surfaced that he went after the Innocents.

That makes sense. So the liturgical order is rearranged. I read somewhere that the oldest tradition is that Jesus was born the same day he died, March 25, but the church moved the feast a few months earlier to give some space for celebrating events of Christ’s life in different liturgical seasons.

1 Like

Any source on that?

Apparently that was 14 Nisan, associated with the creation of the world, and is now the date for the Incarnation (Annunciation). Susan K. Roll Towards the Origins of Christmas (1995); William J. Collinge, Historical Dictionary of Catholicism (2012) and the Catholic Encyclopedia article on Christmas puts the date at 28 March.

Specific dates … which vary – are never held as required belief

That’s right, the liturgical timeline is symbolic.

I already gave my research article link that gives evidence Jesus was conceived Passover Wednesday April 7, 1 B.C. and died late on the eve of Passover Friday April A.D. 33 Julian. So within 9 hours of the same time according to the Jewish calendar. See [http://www.scripturescholar.com/ChronologyJesus.pdf] Chronology of Jesus pp 27 and 71, but you will need to read more to determine how those dates were determined.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.