Timing of first Ecumenical Council and the biblical canon

I’m wondering if this is an accurate or fair point to make when discussing Sacred Tradition…

(if my dates are wrong please correct me)

If the Council of Nicea (325 AD) confirmed what we believe in regards to the Trinity, the Incarnation, etc…

doesn’t it speak to support Sacred Tradition in that the canon of the bible was not officially confirmed until the second Ecumenical Council in 381-2?

I know that there were lists being circulated of the books in the canon, like the one from Athanasius, but even that was after the first E.C. Not to mention the fact that there were other lists being proposed that were notably different than what we ended up with.

Sorry if this is just one of those obvious points in the world of apologetics. I’m just gathering information to teach my husband about early church history and this thought just dawned on me as I was making up a timeline. Thanks.

another proof that Church predates Canon.

I’m no expert but I believe the canon was decreed in a Roman council of 382. So you’re close. See:

catholicapologetics.org/ap031100.htm

Isa is also correct that the Church predates the canon; in fact the Church existed before the Deposit of Revelation was even closed.

She had to. Otherwise, who would St. Paul write to? And for whom would the Gospels be written.

The first record of the Canon as we have it is St. Athanasius’ Paschal encyclical of 367.

And just to cause problems for Protestants, our earliest codex include things like I Clement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.