"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"

So this might sound kind of odd–or prudish, or perverted, I guess–, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum has read this book and could tell me if there’s any explicit sexual content? The reason I’m asking is because I’ve been interested in reading this book–I’ve heard a lot of good things about it, especially with the new movie that’s out now–and I recently bought a copy. My mom also wants to borrow it from me when I’m done, but I’ve started trying to be more vigilant about the stuff I read. But, as I’m sure many of you know, there aren’t really websites that describe the content of books in the same way that there are for movies. I’ve read a bunch of reviews of this book, and it seems to be okay, but I wanted to try to be sure before I got myself into something I couldn’t handle…

But besides my narrow (and perhaps slightly scrupulous) question: Has anyone read the book or seen the movie (or the 1970s British TV show, which I’ve heard is also quite good). What did you all think of them?

It’s been years since I’ve read this book, but I don’t remember it being graphic.

The book is excellent as is the tv movie. My daughter and I are looking forward to this new adaptation! :slight_smile:

I’d like to know as well. Definitely a huge Gary Oldman fan - he deserved Oscar nom for his roles in “Sid & Nancy,” “JFK,” and “The Dark Knight,” and I hope he gets Oscar nom for this or “HP & Deathly Hallows Pt. 2.” It’s a crime the guy doesn’t have an Oscar already.

No review at Catholic Bishops.
No review at Decent Films.
Has anyone on CAF seen it?

Merry Christmas, everyone. :slight_smile:

According to Box Office Mojo, the film is currently playing only in 16 theaters in the US. At its widest distribution, it played in only 53 theaters. With such a limited release, it may be hard to locate a showing.

At this point, the overseas earnings for the film are 25x higher than in the US, so perhaps some of our British friends have seen it?

I saw the original with Alec Guinness and liked it a lot, but had a hard time following the complex plot when younger. I will try to see the new version tonight and let you know. I don’t remember any sexual content in the original. (Guinness was a Catholic and generally didn’t go for explicit content in his films.)

Sorry, rereading your original post, I see you were asking about the content of the book, not the current movie.

I saw the movie last night and it was quite good. Oldman and the whole cast is excellent. There is a quick shot of a topless woman in a bordello and a long-distance shot of a sex act, and several quick scenes of violence which are very shocking because they are unexpected. Most of those shots show the aftermath of violence, none glorify the acts. It’s an a adult film about adult topics (the Cold War and betrayal). Sensitive viewers might find some of those shots upsetting, but overall, I recommend it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.