Tips for cooking ribs?

Last week I bought a 5-lb package of pork ribs at the grocery store, and ended up having to freeze them as I never got around to cooking them. I've never made ribs before so I'm hoping for some of you cooking experts to help me out here :o. I don't have a grill so they'll have to be cooked in the oven. How should I make them?

Thanks and God bless!

Hi - I don’t know if you have a broiler pan or not - but this is a recipe that uses one. :wink:

5 lb. rack of pork ribs
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tbsp. meat tenderizer (optional)
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/3 tsp ginger
BBQ sauce of your choice (Honey BBQ recommended)

Preheat oven to 200°F.

Pour water into reservoir portion of broiling pan, place cover back on pan.

Cut the rib rack into four or five even portions and place on the broiling pan, meat side up.

Combine the meat tenderizer, celery salt, and ginger. Apply entire spice mix to the ribs.

Place ribs in the oven and after 60 minutes, check water level. Add water if necessary. Continue cooking for 45 minutes.

Increase heat to 300°F, apply BBQ sauce to ribs and resume cooking for 35 more minutes. Check water level one final time, apply second coat of BBQ sauce, and raise temperature to 350 for 30 more minutes.

Remove from oven and serve.

I shoot for simple! I use a large baking (lasagna) dish, lay out the ribs in a single layer, add water - be generous, cover with foil, and bake at 350 - 375 until well done - fall off the bone done for us! Remove most of the water, open a jar of spaghetti sauce (You could use barbecue sauce. We just prefer spaghetti sauce.), and pour as much sauce as you like on the ribs. Just be sure you cover them so they don’t dry out. Put them back in the oven 20 - 30 min. Good to go!!

What kind of ribs? Spare, baby back, “country-style”??? The kind makes a big difference in how you should prepare them!

On my food blog (linked in my siggy) I have a recipe for braised pork spareribs. Absolutely delicious!!! Of course, that’s just one way to eat a rib. :cool::wink:

I always cook my ribs in a crock pot. I boil them first with a lemon cut up (makes them tender) and loads of onions. Then I throw them in the crock pot on high covered in sauce for 4-5 hours. I’ve never had them fail. country ribs, spare ribs, you name it.

Steph

Country Style Ribs:

1 C ketchup
3 TBS molasses
1 TBS cider vinegar
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS dark-brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke

Put ribs in a roasting pan lined w/ foil. Mix all ingredients and pour over pork ribs. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min? An hour? Usually the package of ribs I buy says the weight and cooking time. Until it reaches proper temp, 160 - 180 degrees. Make sure it’s thoroughly cooked since it is pig.

I put a rack of ribs, sliced or not, depending on what’s on sale, into a glass pan and sprinkle all over with garlic salt, pepper and smoked paprika (has to be smoked). Then I cover the pan very tightly with aluminum foil and cook in the oven at 300 degrees for 3 hours. Meat should be falling off the bone tender at the end. If not, throw it back for another 20 minutes or so.

Remove from oven, turn oven to 425 degrees. Uncover ribs and brush with barbecue sauce of your choice, homemade or bottled (we like Sweet Baby Ray’s). Bake at 425 for 10 to 15 minutes to crisp them up. Watch carefully so the sauce does not burn.

I like to put a pan of fresh asparagus brushed with olive oil into the hot oven for 10 minutes while the ribs are crisping up. That’s delicious sprinkled with a little parmesan.

Wow - now I want ribs. Thanks for bringing this up!

Betsy

I ran a BBQ/Burger restaurant for 10 years, and we had one rule, keep it simple.

Oven or smoker 210F

Marinade: I gallon water. 2 cups pickling salt, 2 cups molasses. marinate in fridge over night.

Rub: Equal parts: brown sugar, salt, pepper.
you can add paprika, chili powder, cayenne if you like spicy. or more brown sugar if you like sweet.

Cook till the bones are loose on the rack.

Good luck.

Like all pork products, you should brine them over night in a mixture of water, kosher or rock salt and brown sugar. In the morning, remove them from the brine and rub some liquid smoke into them and let them rest at room temperature. Make a dry rub consisting of fresh black pepper, kosher salt, (smoked) paprika, cayanne pepper, garlic powder, ginger powder and brown sugar and rub that into the meat.

Put the rack in a foil lined pan and bake at around 240 degrees. Once the meat starts to turn dark, rub both sides with your favorite BBQ sauce.

I love ribs! I use my mother’s reciepe and bake them in the oven. I use a basic rub with liquid smoke, OJ, and honey.

I would like to formally invite everyone here to a new social group in CAF devoted to food related discussions. Please checkout the group ‘Foodies’ so we can grow closer together!

I’m horrified. Two things ribs should never see: the inside of an oven or a pot of boiling water They need low, slow, heat and smoke or they aren’t ribs.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:11, topic:198709"]
I'm horrified. Two things ribs should never see: the inside of an oven or a pot of boiling water They need low, slow, heat and smoke or they aren't ribs.

[/quote]

Don't be silly. Cooking can be a matter of taste as much as it could be a matter of tradition.

I prefer to buy my ribs from joint that uses a smoker but I rather make my ribs in an oven at 220 for 4-6 hours.

I use my mom's recipe - in the slow cooker, put a base of onions, then a layer of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, then a layer of ribs. Repeat as needed.

Cook on 225 for 6-8 hours (I like them done until 8 hours). They come out so "fall off the bone" that it's hard to get them out of the slow cooker!

We sometimes put them on the grill for 7-8 minutes on each side before putting them in the slow cooker, but it's not needed (we don't have a grill at our apartment either!).

Come on over to the Foodies social group and see what I did with Sweet Baby Ray’s and some peaches!

Betsy

When I think ribs, I think this, not something that comes out of the oven or a slow cooker or a pot of boiling water to spend 5 minutes on a grill at the end:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/10/21/alg_bbq_cook-off.jpg

[quote="baltobetsy, post:14, topic:198709"]
Come on over to the Foodies social group and see what I did with Sweet Baby Ray's and some peaches!

Betsy

[/quote]

Amen! Come and join!

I also use a crock pot for ribs. Just layer them with a little bbq sauce and cook on high for 5-6 hours. Serve with some extra sauce. They are so tender and good this way, and it is so simple.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.