Tips for moist boneless, skinless chicken

Sorry but this is driving me nuts. I can’t seem to find a way to make plain, moist, boneless, skinless chicken consistently. I wasn’t sure if to post this here, but it does affect my family very much :slight_smile: One day it will be moist, the nest two times it will be dry (tried foreman grill, oven, skillet/pan). I’m thinking of trying the slowcooker… Has anyone mastered this?

Thanks!

Plain? What do you mean by plain?

I really don’t like “plain” chicken so marinate it every time. Dad did ours on the grill outside and it was never dry. As soon as it is white, it’s done. Mine does turn out dry on the Foreman grill. No adjustable temp- I think the outside gets cooked too fast and you have to leave it on too long.

My skillet dinner chicken last night turned out very tender and tasty. I didn’t defrost it early enough and put it in the oven frozen at 200 for about 30 min with ~1/8 cup each of lemon juice and worchestershire sauce and covered one side with garlic powder. When I took it out, it was just the right amount of frozen to be very easy to cut into 1 in chunks. I seared it in the pan with 1 tbs butter, then simmered with the noodles and sauce for about 10 min- 1 cup milk, 2 cups water, plus the sauce packet and noodles. It was supposed to be alfredo but was darker and tasted more like stroganoff, but was good regardless. The flavor in the chicken was not overpowering at all. I’m sure you could use the same idea without the noodles and sauce, but I wouldn’t put nearly as much liquid in.

Frozen is even better!
When I say plain I meant seasoned with dry seasoning, not in any sauce :slight_smile:
I wonder if I could do that without the sauce/juice…
We aren’t at our home (we are at the rental we moved to) so we don’t have our outdoor grill, but we do have an oven.

this is what DD taught me. She puts boneless chicken breasts in a freezer bag with marinade, thaws them in the sink (inside the bag, with the bag in cold water if you want it faster), then grills on the Geo Foreman grill. Her chicken always comes out moist and tasty.

Boneless, skinless chicken really neads to be marinaded or cooked in liquid because it has no fat to moisten it or skin to hold the liquid in. My most moist chicken comes from the slow cooker. Use whatever liquid you like . . . chicken broth, diced tomatoes, teriyaki sauce, whatever works with your recipe. (Broth is good for “plain”.) If you’re grilling, pan frying, or baking, a marinade is usually best. Try a lemon juice and herb mixture for a “plain” flavor.

MJ

I have it mastered! Every boneless chicken of mine is moist Moist MOIST!

I always use frozen chicken, never thaw it.

I put it in a skillet with either water, red wine vinegar (it gets smelly but tastes great), or chicken broth and let the chicken cook in the liquid. ALWAYS covered. Have to add more liquid as you cook because it will evaporate.

After it’s cooked most of the way through, I take off the lid, let the liquids steam out, and let the chicken sear on the hot pan. Makes for a tasty outside and a juicy inside.

Most of the time I use no seasoning whatsoever and water only, but DH is always convinced I seasoned it. It’s THAT good. :slight_smile:

How long do you leave it in the pan with the lid on and how long do you let it sear? Do you cover it in liquid?
Thanks!

How long do you put it in the slow cooker if it is frozen boneless/skinless chicken (4 breasts)?

Do you know how long she leaves it on the grill or how she knows when to take it off?
Thanks!

OK, well, I’m no master chef, but I too have played around with boneless skinless chicken breasts for my family because they were always getting dried out. I have never tried the slow cooker though, so I can’t help you there.

Mine are frozen 99% of the time, so what I have found is that if I put just a bit of canola oil (or any cooking oil I’d imagine, or even a bit of water in the bottom to prevent the bottoms from sticking) in a stainless steel skillet, add a chicken flavored bouillion (sp?) cube or two depending on how much chicken I’m cooking, and cook it COVERED over a medium heat, I get good, flavorful, moist chicken breasts. Then, as Sancta said, for the last couple of minutes, I uncover, turn the heat up and let it sear and brown on each side to really bring out the flavor.

Good luck!

I like to marinate mine in Italian dressing (you can regular, lite, or fat free). Most of time when I get home from the grocery store I put several breasst in a ziploc bag with Italian dressing and freeze them until I need them. After defrosting them you can roll them in Italian bread crumbs or leave them plain.

Here’s what I’ve discovered with chicken breasts – they start out good and moist, and then because we’re all paranoid about getting sick from undercooked chicken, we cook them too long, which dries them out. Get a digital thermometer, stick it into the thickest part of the breast, and cook away as usual – this has made such a difference in my meats – from pork, to chicken, to just about anything I’m worried about parasites in…there’s a good temp to eat at, and any higher than that, you’re drying it out – you’d be amazed how many recipes tell me to cook for 50min but by 30 my thermometer says the chicken is at “safe to eat” – another 20min would have that chicken tasting like cardboard – it’s great for grilling outside too – when the outside looks well done, but the inside is nowhere near it…all solved with a good digital meat thermometer – I never knew you could eat pink pork until I saw the temp was 160 but the meat was still a little pink…perfectly safe, but another 10 degrees could have ruined it.

Remember too that meat temps increase after you take them off the heat – they keep cooking for a few minutes; so take it off 5-10 degrees lower than you want it, cover with foil and let rest until desired temp is reached (this also allows the juices which have all been brought to the surface from heating to redistribute to the entire piece of meat…much more juicy all around)

hope that helps some! I don’t know how we ever lived without the digital thermometer – and it sits outside the pan/oven so there’s no acrobatics trying to read the temp either…you can even get one that has a remote “alert” function - - you wear the remote and it beeps when the desired temp is reached – tho the regular ones beep loud enough I can’t imagine needing a remote one…

Thanks for all your tips !!! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:
You guys have a wealth of home-making knowledge :slight_smile: (along with all sorts of other types of knowledge… :slight_smile: )

If you broil them from frozen they will say moist.

This might not be what you’re going for, but I came up with this idea for Easter last year, and it was a huge success. I was going to use chicken breasts, but found pork chops in my freezer and was too lazy to go to the store. :o

I layered defrosted, browned boneless butterfly pork chop filets, bacon, 1/4 inch apple slices, and provalone cheese in a loaf pan almost to the top, sprinkling a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon every few layers. After everything was in it, I filled it with water about 1/3-1/2 way full (would use less next time), then made sure the layer of cheese on top formed a solid barrier to keep the moisture in. I looked at recipes online to get an idea of the bake time and temp to cook it- around 350 for 50-60 min.

Boy was I pleased with how it came out! I think I had just a little too much water, but it soaked in all its own juices and was so tender and flavorful!

If all else fails, you could brine the chicken breasts in a salt solution for 30 minutes to an hour, then cook them til just done, no more. Uh, I think I’d use a mix of 1Tablespoon regular table salt for 1 cup water (different for kosher salt). You need to experiment, depending on the cut of meat. Oh, depending on what you want, you could add a touch of sugar to the brine. If you want to keep the skin on, I’d air dry before cooking, so the skin can cook crisp.

Every brined chicken breast I’ve made has been nice. I do it for fried chicken too, but I put salt into the buttermilk and not salt into water.

Here are just a few tips from an old timer:
Marinade and storage:
If you buy your chicken frozen…put it in a gallon size freezer bag and add marinade. Leave it on the counter or in the fridge until it is just starting to thaw (rock hard in the center, soft on the edges) only if you are going to refreeze. If you are going to cook it within 24 hours…thaw it all the way and turn the bag every 3-4 hours in the fridge.
If you buy your chicken fresh…
Marinade it in the same way (in gallon freezer bag) but leave it in the fridge for at least 12 hours before you freeze it (for later consumption) or if you are going to eat it soon, it is best to marinade 12 to 24 hours depending on how strong the marinade is.

Cooking:
If you are cooking on the grill…use the marinade in the bag to keep the meat moist and grill on the lowest heat you can until it is cooked then put it under high heat to sear it.
If you are oven cooking:
Place on a FLAT cookie sheet with sides on it (very important not to use airbake sheets) When you put the chicken on make sure there is a little of the marinade on the cookie sheet too.

Cheats:
Easy marinade…any cheap italian dressing from the grocery store.
Easy marinade…soy sauce…soak in this for about an hour only though or it may get too strong.
Easy lemon pepper chicken:
Put chicken in a baking dish (I always use my lasagne pan) coat chicken with oil…sprinkle with lemon pepper on both sides, pop in fridge for 24 hours and turn every 3-4 hours. When you cook, just pop it in the oven at 350 for about 45 mins or on the grill for about 30 mins depending on the heat.

Bake at 325 in chicken broth. Yum.

If you really want moist and tender, go ahead and get the breasts with skin and bone still on. season generously with with salt, pepper, paprika, parsly flakes and a little garlic powder. Bake at 325 in chicken broth. This is the u-l-t-i-m-a-t-e comfort food!!

Rub them with olive oil before sprinkling your dry seasonings on, then bake. Yum!

CHICKEN À LA KING (4)·
2.5kg chicken, disjointed and skinned
4 stems celery with leaves, chopped
1 large onion, cut into chunks
2 tsp lemon pepper or coarse black pepper
2 tsp thyme
4-5 whole cloves
enough water to cover chicken pieces
Combine all of the above in a large pot and boil until chicken is cooked. Remove meat from bones, cut into strips.Strain the stock and keep aside
SAUCE PREPARATION:
60g butter
¼ cup flour
2 cups strained chicken stock
2 x 410g evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste .
Heat butter, stir in flour until foamy.Add stock and stir . Cook until thickened .Add evaporated milk.Add salt and pepper to taste VEGETABLE PREPARATION:
60g butter
400g button mushrooms
1 green pepper, seeded and cut
1 red pepper, seeded and cut
1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp ground garlic
2 tbs chopped parsley
Heat butter in a frying pan.Sauté mushrooms, peppers, onion and garlic until soft.Stir in cooked chicken and season well .Add to white sauce. Sprinkle over with parsley. Serve with rice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.