Tips for receiving Communion on the Tongue

When I was being trained for my First Communion when I was a kid, they taught us how to receive it in the hand so I never really got proper catechesis about how to receive on the tongue.

How can I position myself to ensure it's secure? When I receive, the priests seem to take a little longer to place it in my mouth (I'm guessing because they are so accustomed to placing it on people's hands so they don't get enough practise). At times the priest would accidentally touch my lips which I'm sure isn't pleasant for either him or me.

Should I stick my tongue out? I've seen and read of people doing that but if a priest might accidentally touch my lips when I don't stick my tongue out, he might very well touch my tongue if I do stick it out. Even more would that be unpleasant for us both, and really bad hygiene.

Should I sort of lower my body so I can tilt my head up? Would that make it easier for the priest to securely place it in my mouth?

Also what should I do with my hands? I can't fold them in front of me because the priest would think I'm intending on receiving the Host in my hands. But if I place my hands at my side and sort of stand at attention, I feel a little bit like I'm being irreverent (I wouldn't pray in that position, much less should I be receiving the Eucharist that way).

I receive on the tongue. Being a server I just tend to stand there and wait my turn as the priest comes to us. But I look up and open my mouth and stick tongue out a little. Some times his fingers do rest on my lip but not often. I have no idea what my hands are actually doing. I do actually tend to stand there with them in front of me together. But we are a small parish and he knows us now and seems to know how each one of us receive.

Tongue is harder with different priests and bishops especially when I don't do the sign of the cross either. Serving is easy because I think they all tend to assume which is probably wrong but in the choir the bishop threw me a little when he decided to ask if I was confirmed...:blush:

Just when you reach the Priest and stand with your head up as such and poise your tongue out a little. If your hand are closed in front of you or behind or dangling at your sides.... and your head is slightly up he will know you are wanting to receive on the tongue.

It is best if you stick your tongue out. Then the priest can place the host on your tongue instead of trying to stick it in your mouth. It helps to tilt your head up a bit also. If you are tall, and don't want to kneel when receiving, maybe stoop slightly so your head is lower than the priest's head. I usually hold my hands in a "praying" format. Or you could clasp them together at your waist. I have also seen people approach with their hands held together behind their back.

I stick my tongue out- no issues.

The priest at our church gave a few tips about receiving on the tongue when I was in RCIA. He said it helps him if you come forward with your hands clasped in some way - either in front of you or behind. He said it gets confusing if people are moving their hands around a lot because he can't tell quickly if they're wanting to receive in the hand or if they're trying to form the "hands across the chest" motion to indicate they can't receive. He also said to tip your head back slightly, open your mouth, and stick your tongue out a little. That also makes it pretty obvious that you intend to receive on the tongue.

Also when I went through EHMC training, they told us to kind of turn our hand over so that our fingers were facing downwards while putting the host in someone's mouth because it's less likely to end up touching their mouth that way.

It does feel a little weird at first, but once you do it a few times it's not too bad. I usually only receive on the tongue if I've got my son in my arms at Mass so he doesn't knock it out of my hand.

[quote="PazzoGrande, post:1, topic:295870"]
When I was being trained for my First Communion when I was a kid, they taught us how to receive it in the hand so I never really got proper catechesis about how to receive on the tongue.

How can I position myself to ensure it's secure? When I receive, the priests seem to take a little longer to place it in my mouth (I'm guessing because they are so accustomed to placing it on people's hands so they don't get enough practise). At times the priest would accidentally touch my lips which I'm sure isn't pleasant for either him or me.

Should I stick my tongue out? I've seen and read of people doing that but if a priest might accidentally touch my lips when I don't stick my tongue out, he might very well touch my tongue if I do stick it out. Even more would that be unpleasant for us both, and really bad hygiene.

Should I sort of lower my body so I can tilt my head up? Would that make it easier for the priest to securely place it in my mouth?

Also what should I do with my hands? I can't fold them in front of me because the priest would think I'm intending on receiving the Host in my hands. But if I place my hands at my side and sort of stand at attention, I feel a little bit like I'm being irreverent (I wouldn't pray in that position, much less should I be receiving the Eucharist that way).

[/quote]

I receive on the tongue, I hope I don't get self-concious now, cause I never really thought that much about things you mention. I tilt my head slighty and stick my tongue out slighty and I keep my hands folded down in front. I guess I just try to focus on Jesus and pray so you don't have to be self concious. :)

Just don't forget to say "Amen" before you stick your tongue out!;)

I do what I was taught as a child. Tilt head back a little. Stick tongue out a little and hands clasped in a praying position. Once received the host, then make the sign of the cross.

Don't hold out your hands and stick out your tongue at the same time. :doh2:

Does it ever stop feeling weird?

We used to practice sticking out our tongue to receive when I was in the second grade. (Somehow that doesn't sound right. :D) But I remember Sr. Mary Jean Patrice always getting on my friend's case for doing something incorrectly. I'm not sure what.

Coincidentally our Pastor gave us instructions at Mass yesterday of what we should do when receiving. If receiving in the hand he wants us to bow while the person in front of us is receiving and then make a throne of our hands. (That has always been the instruction for my parish.)

But this is the first time I have heard instruction for receiving on the tongue. Our Pastor didn't specifically say but I presume the bowing is the same for hands and tongue. He did say to be sure to stick out our tongue far enough so that the person giving out communion did not have to risk touching any part of our mouth and tongue. (He suggested --quite strongly-- this would be out of consideration for both minister and for those receiving after us.)

He also said that with the exception of babies, canes, or walkers we should not have anything in our hands.

[quote="SMHW, post:11, topic:295870"]
He also said that with the exception of babies, canes, or walkers we should not have anything in our hands.

[/quote]

So women should leave their purses where they can be easily stolen?

Well, I always do–I suppose it depends on the parish. But if they’re worried about that, they can carry a shoulder bag. It wouldn’t be in their hands. Or really, they could just have a wallet in their pocket or leave their purse in the trunk of the car or something.

–Jen

Well our parish is pretty safe. But I think most women can carry a purse over their shoulder or tucked under their arm if they are concerned about leaving it alone.

I always leave mine at my seat when I’m at my home parish.

[quote="TrueLight, post:10, topic:295870"]
Does it ever stop feeling weird?

[/quote]

Yes. :)

It helps a little if you practice sticking out your tongue at yourself in the mirror, especially looking at it from the side. It usually feels like it is sticking out further than it really is. (at least for me) Once you realize that, it feels somewhat less weird. The rest is just doing it enough that it becomes customary.

--Jen

If it helps any, I've received on the tongue my whole life, I was never told to tilt my head back and stick out my tongue, and I have never had a problem with it. Just focus on the fact that you are receiving God, everything else will follow.

[quote="CHRISTINE77, post:7, topic:295870"]
Just don't forget to say "Amen" before you stick your tongue out!;)

[/quote]

Lol that happened to me once. My heart was beating so fast I had my heart in my mouth and I was so excited that I even forgot to say "Amen".

[quote="504Katrin, post:17, topic:295870"]
Lol that happened to me once. My heart was beating so fast I had my heart in my mouth and I was so excited that I even forgot to say "Amen".

[/quote]

I once tried to say amen with my tongue sticking out!:rotfl:

Saying "Amen" was one the "problems" we used to have back in the days when receiving on the tongue at a communion rail was the only way to receive. I guess in the REALLY olden days it wasn't required of people to say, "Amen," but it was in the 1960s. Some of the priests would distribute communion REALLY fast and they'd be saying, "The Body of Christ," as they were reaching toward your mouth. You practically had to say, "Amen," before they were finished speaking or you wouldn't get the chance. If you waited until the priest finished speaking, when you'd open your mouth to make the "A" sound you'd get the host on your tongue.

Fortunately not all priests were like that.

[quote="SMHW, post:19, topic:295870"]
Saying "Amen" was one the "problems" we used to have back in the days when receiving on the tongue at a communion rail was the only way to receive. I guess in the REALLY olden days it wasn't required of people to say, "Amen," but it was in the 1960s. Some of the priests would distribute communion REALLY fast and they'd be saying, "The Body of Christ," as they were reaching toward your mouth. You practically had to say, "Amen," before they were finished speaking or you wouldn't get the chance. If you waited until the priest finished speaking, when you'd open your mouth to make the "A" sound you'd get the host on your tongue.

Fortunately not all priests were like that.

[/quote]

That's pretty funny!

I'm surprised that some priests and extraordinary ministers are not using the communion plate (held under the receiver's chin) when they are giving the communion to the peoples' tongues. It seems very useful in case the eucharist should fall.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.