Tips on quitting smoking

Ealier someone asked for help with this horrible addiction and I wish to share some of my advice.:slight_smile:
I was a smoker for over 30 years.
I have tried to quit so many times to quit but I could never stop for long. What I found is not one method but a group of methods designed just for me. I was a heavy smoker so my doctor advised using 2 Nicotine Replacement therapy’s (KNOWN AS NRT’s) I used patches and nicotine lozengers (committ’s).
They worked great but you also need to have a mind set. No amount of NRT’s will help replace the physical habit.
For us Catholic’s Pray the Rosary! what a great way to use you hands. It helps the urge pass while asking Mary for Her help.
Also keep busy in your daily tasks. Remove all smoking materials from your home. Wash walls and curtains. Get support or a buddy I did that, my brother Richie.
It can be done.
Also some might say these NRT’s are expensive and cost more then cigarettes----I was paying around $20.00 a carton for generic cigarettes, one week supply. The preminuns are over $25.00. The patches are around $25.00, a weeks worth, generic store brand and around $32.00 for the lozengers but this is tempory. It there was a medicine to help you’d buy it right?
wish you all the best, any help you can contact me by email or Catholic Forums IM

So Kim, what was it that finally helped you quit the smoking? was it the Rosary? and how long now have you not smoked the cigarettes? i would like to relay this to some of my friends and family. i know some friends tried some sort of chewing gum and it helped them, but many in my family still smoke and very much. i think whatever can help a person get over, the cost is not the point. But more, it was there desire to say, i do not want to do this any longer. so i suppose the will of the person. i feel this might be what it takes in the final end.

It’s actually simple–one keeps smoking because one wants to smoke. No force makes us pick up the fag and light up. Of course force of habit works against us powerfully. You can’t drive that out with willpower. Rather, as Bishop Sheen says, you can crowd it out with something you love more than smoking.

God bless you.

Actually…it is an addiction your body is dependent on the nicoten(sp?) …it is not a want.
I have smoked for nearly 19 years…tried to quit many times…never succeded though…withdrawl was too bad!

What causes nicotine addiction?
Nicotine is an addictive drug. It causes changes in the brain that make people want to use it more and more. In addition, addictive drugs cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. The good feelings that result when an addictive drug is present — and the bad feelings when it’s absent — make breaking any addiction very difficult. Nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break.
americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4753

Trust me on this. Yes, I am aware of withdrawl, and while it is powerfully influential, it does not compel you to light up–that is an act of the will. You will notice in Alcoholics Anonymous they don’t spend much time on the how’s and the why’s of addiction, but rather operate on the most important thing: not picking up a bottle and drinking. And accepting full responsibility when they fall. This is why patches and gums fail more often than not–they think it is a medical failing when in truth it is a moral one.

Actually I wont trust you on this…it is an ADDICTION

And this is OK Karin. do not feel bad because you cannot do it, because you are not perfect. nobody of us are perfect or ever will be. But, the same, we are all loved by God.

i have an aunt who died when 103 years. she smoked her whole life, she also had a sign in her kitchen which said “License to Bitch”. She was so loved by our family.

sometimes i feel there is too much pressure on us to be perfect and correct our every flaw. God knows what they all are. i am so glad he knows who i am, sins and all.

Never said or implied that I was “perfect”…nor do I feel bad that I have not quit smoking.
what I am saying is that it not as wasy to quit as some folks think it is…especailly the longer you have been somking

I forget how long the withdrawl lasts (about a week, I think?), but it does come to an end.

Once you get past the first week, you’re dealing with environmental stuff - the stuff that triggers you to “want” a smoke - for example, some people have the habit of smoking after a meal, or smoking in the car when they’re driving, and stuff like that.

The way I got my husband to quit was, when he got a new car, I forbade him to smoke in his new car, in order to try to keep the value of it (because he was planning to trade up after two years) - and every time he lit up in the car, I’d tell him, “Hey, nobody buys a car that smells of cigarette smoke,” and he’d put out the cigarette.

By the end of the month, he wasn’t smoking any more at all - and yes, he got an excellent trade-in deal on that car - and he really likes his new truck, so it was well worth it. :smiley:

Once you reorganize the times and places that trigger you to want to smoke, you’re away to the races - after that, it’s just a matter of not buying them, and not smoking them.

I did not say it was easy. I think you took my quote “It is actually quite simple…” and took it to mean I thought quitting is a walk in the park. I do not and I’m sorry if that is what you took as my meaning. I am suggesting that the addiction hypothesis is one so ingrained in us it is hard to see any alternative. We are addicted to the addiction hypothesis. :smiley:

“Why is he smoking?”
“Because he is addicted.”
“How do you know he is addicted?”
“Because he keeps smoking.”

My beef is that people dogmatically accept this model and look for the magic patch, gum, pill, etc. to cure them of this “disease”; and after spending gobs of money on this stuff and it does not work like medicine is supposed to (take pill, disease gone), they conclude that they need a different magic medicinal solution when the problem might actually lie elsewhere.

P.S. I’m not saying patches and gum can’t help, but relying on them in and of themselves is likely going to fail.

well actaully many studies have been done on this…and it has been proven that it is an addiction.
I do not think that using special gums or patches are any real help as your just substituing one form of nicoten for another form of it… that is just my 2 cents.

Yes, I agree with you. People who use those things stop smoking while they’re using them, but they still have to go through the withdrawl period, at some point.

Actually…it is an addiction your body is dependent on the nicoten(sp?) …it is not a want.
I have smoked for nearly 19 years…tried to quit many times…never succeded though…withdrawl was too bad!

Does it make as sense if you change it from nicotine to to alcohol? Are the rules the same in your mind for tabacco and alcohol?

“it is an addiction your body is dependent on the alcohol …it is not a want. I have drank for nearly 19 years…tried to quit many times…never succeded though…withdrawl was too bad”.

dont know…really have no idea about the whole alcohol thing…sorry

Well, no it hasn’t because few people can even agree on what an addiction is. Every attempt at a definition is loaded with difficulties. Much of the evidence for it comes from animal testing. Scientists are becoming more and more skeptical of such research. Human drug taking has no parallels in animal testing.

Scott

Listen Folks,

I put this up to help people hoping we can share tips and help one another and offer a Prayer or two for each other. Only Karin seems to come here for honest help and sharing.
Please no bashing one another. The last thing a smoker needs is someone chastising them.

Kim3260-
thank you…your intentions behind starting the thread are great…hopefully we can accomplish something “good” here.

I know I quit so many times. What I think seems to workfor me and others is a plan set just for you. Not a cookie cutter one size fits all. I myself am just one cigarette away from being right back where I was and everyday it is a struggle I deal with.

thank you Kim and Karin…I quit for 11 years. The night I lost my Roddy (yes yes I know it’s only a dog and I am a weakwilled sinner…) I remember feeling so alone and sad that my mind went to having a drink for the first time in 13 years…and I had promised myself that I would go to ANY lengths to stay sober. I opened up a drawer in my kitchen and found a half-pack of cigarets left there the night before by a sponsee…and I lit up.

I have smoked again for one year. I am getting a new Scotty on Nov 16 and have a quit date picked out of October 16.

One thing I know for sure is I cannot avoid the detox…it will hurt like heck and I will feel like absolute blech for about 10 to 14 days…but with tons of prayer, lots of good friends, daily Mass, gum, and (if necessary) CHOCOLATE I will beat this again and be smoke free.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.