Tithing. Do Catholics practice tithing?

The Old Testament law of delivering up 10% of your increase to the church is called “tithing”. Do Catholics tithe? Myself, I “fiveth”. 50% of my income goes to federal/state/county/municipal taxes. and I have to live on what is left after governments bleed me dry.

Catholics are called to stewardship, which is a generous response to God in time, talent, and treasure.

You sound like a lawyer, or Bill Clinton dodging a question about Monica Lewinsky. The question is" Do Catholics tithe?" Do Catholics contribute 10% to the church or not?

There are a billion Catholics. They each are called to stewardship of time, talent and treasure. What that means for each person differs by circumstance.

One Catholic may give 20%, one may give 10%, and one may give 5% to the Church. One may volunteer at the parish in ministry, another may sew liturgical vestments and care for altar linens, another may teach children in religious education, while yet another volunteers at a food pantry in the community.

The Church calls us to a generous response to God in our lives. It does not tell us what that is. We are called to discern.

There is no answer to your question about what “Catholics” do, because each Catholic is an individual who discerns what they are called to give and do-- monetarily as well as time and talent-- at any given time in their lives.

Stewardship is a response to the positive moral law of the beatitudes and the seventh commandment.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a7.htm

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/stewardship/

From the Catechism:

II. THE PRECEPTS OF THE CHURCH

2041 The precepts of the Church are set in the context of a moral life bound to and nourished by liturgical life. The obligatory character of these positive laws decreed by the pastoral authorities is meant to guarantee to the faithful the very necessary minimum in the spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbor:

2042 The first precept (“You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor”) requires the faithful to sanctify the day commemorating the Resurrection of the Lord as well as the principal liturgical feasts honoring the mysteries of the Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the saints; in the first place, by participating in the Eucharistic celebration, in which the Christian community is gathered, and by resting from those works and activities which could impede such a sanctification of these days.82

The second precept (“You shall confess your sins at least once a year”) ensures preparation for the Eucharist by the reception of the sacrament of reconciliation, which continues Baptism’s work of conversion and forgiveness.83

The third precept (“You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season”) guarantees as a minimum the reception of the Lord’s Body and Blood in connection with the Paschal feasts, the origin and center of the Christian liturgy.84

2043 The fourth precept (“You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church”) ensures the times of ascesis and penance which prepare us for the liturgical feasts and help us acquire mastery over our instincts and freedom of heart.85

The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.

The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his own abilities.

So, to simplify the responses you have heard, the answer is NO.

But, that is not to say we are not called to be generous and joyful givers of material wealth, time, talents, and most especially prayers, all for the good of the world and the Church, and for and to the glory of God!

A honest question deserve a honest answer. I am not practice tithing, can’t afford it and I can attend Mass so…if I would have money, yes I would give some to The Church.

Here in Finland The RCC can not collect tax so the members can (should?) give something, and those who can do give.

It’s not a yes or no question. Some Catholics do give a “tithe” of 10%, others give more and others give less.

We cannot say Catholics as a whole tithe or don’t tithe, we can only say what we as individual Catholics do.

It is something we should strive for, but it is no longer something the Church requires by law.

Here is an article on Tithing from the Archdiocese of St Louis:

archstl.org/stewardship/page/faqs-about-tithing

Here is an article in the Catholic Encyclopedia:

newadvent.org/cathen/14741b.htm

There seems to be a lot of pickiness in responses to his question. I think it’s fairly reasonable to assume that the intent of his question is to ask if Catholics are required to tithe 10%, not if every single Catholic in the entire world does it. :rolleyes:

And the answer is still not a simple “yes” or “no”. The Biblical requirement of 10% was to support the community. With so much of our income going to social programs, most of us that work are already contributing more than 10% to support the community. The OP’s reference to taxes seems to address this.

But there is also an obligation to support the Church. That is non-negotiable. It’s a precept of the Church. To fail to support the Church is a very grave sin. But it’s not a mathematical formula. To say “I *would *support the Church if I had the money” is not an excuse. Supporting the Church can be time, talent or treasure - no Catholic can claim an exemption to this requirement.

Lots of people in the Catholic Church. A lot of them are poor and can’t possibly afford it. Most Catholics give what they can on Sunday. On the back of every collection envelope I get in the mail from my parish is a statement about 10% tithing, so…

Tithing Threads come and go - quickly - they are never very long …

People do not like to be challenged in their generosity nor held accountable …

Catholics as a whole are not held to the 10 percent tithe … and really we should not be - we are new testament people …

First let me say this - in the days of Moses and Jesus - their were those who could not contribute 10 percent - the story of the Widows Mite is an example of this … however - it should be noted that the Widow gave from her need not her excess - all that she had … while the Rich men gave 10 percent from their excess - and Jesus judged them not to have given as they should …

So - for reflection - the Hebrew people had Moses, the Law and the Prophets and were directed to give 10 percent [plus other things - forgiveness of debts at intervals, etc] …

We Christians have Moses, the Law and the Prophets - PLUS - Jesus [His atoning sacrificial death on the Cross], the Church, the Sacraments - of which the Eucharist is preeminent - a great mystery that sustains us, the New Testament writings and adoption as the sons and daughters of God … and thus We are called to give generously in relationship to what we have received from our God …

What always amazes me is that - individually - more of us don’t start with the 10 percent and build upon our grateful acknowledgement of God’s great gift to our lives …

My household has found this to be very helpful in our giving … and God has richly blessed us in return …

And though we have hit 20 percent of gross many years - please don’t think that we are rich or that we can make that truly happen every year - Reality is that there is no flexibility in the mortgage payment and utility bills - so when I was laid off for 15 months - our charitable giving took a hit - though surprisingly it has remained about 10 percent - even when I thought it would not … however, we fulfilled every commitment we made, made no new commitments we were unsure of our ability to meet … a year and a half after I went back to work - I lost my spouse … and again - I met every existing commitment - made no new ones I was unsure of - but gave all I could … through loss and grief I know God cares

And this I can tell you - if you had asked me could I make it and keep the bills paid - I’d have said no … but God is Good all the time … God provides and this year - Now 2 years after loosing my spouse I have made some new commitments and I will do all that I can to meet them - because I am grateful for God’s love and support of my family …

I don’t think anyone’s answer is deceptive. Are Catholics required to give 10% of their income to the Church. No. Are Catholic required to support their parish and give charitably to those in need. Yes. It’s not a hard answer to understand. It’s my personal opinon, but I don’t think that paying taxes counts for either charity or supporting the Church. (unless you live in a place where there is a Church tax, which are few and far between) If someone lives in a place where taxes are oppressive to the point they don’t have enough left over, then they should give in service instead of money.

Tithing (contributing 10% of your increase) is an old testament law, similar to abstaining from eating pork and shellfish, and wearing blended fabrics. The Old Testament law, died on the cross with the Nazarene (aka Jesus).

New Testament Christians (including Roman Catholics) are not required to obey any Old testament law. Catholics can shave, eat oysters, and wear cotton/polyester clothing, without sinning.

I just wanted to see what the current feeling is among the participants here.

One is obligated to support the Church. While a tithe of 10% is not mandatory, it is a good guideline. If a person has income of, say, $30,000 per year, then a 10% tithe would be $3,000 per year or $57 per week. Some people may give 8% or 5%, but one ought to give something representing a percentage of income. Otherwise you’re just tossing God a tip every week.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.