Tithing question

Is it a sin to not tithe 10%? My husband and I still give, but we are deep in debt and working on getting out of it and on a super tight budget. I’m not sure how we’d pay for all of our necessities while giving that much (and yes, we’ve cancelled our expensive phone plan, we’re going to be canceling satellite TV, etc, so our necessities really are necessities, we are not living extravagantly).

It is not a sin to not tithe. That isn’t a Catholic teaching.

Sorry, what’s not Catholic teaching? That it’s a sin? Or that we should tithe?

Also, I’m not sure how I posted to this section. I have no idea how or if I can move the thread. Sorry!

Tithing is not a Catholic Teaching. It’s a protestant teaching.

It’s in the Old Testament, so it was definitely around before Martin Luther and the other guys came around.

I’m not sure that’s true. Catholics are expected to support their parish and help the poor. Alot of people can’t afford ten percent and alot of people can afford a whole lot more. The important thing is to do your part whether you give time, talent, or treasure.

:thumbsup:

First off, congrats on being Confirmed and joining the Holy Mother Church. No, It’s not a sin sin not to Tithe in the Catholic Church. Remember the Catholic Church is worldwide and most people in the world are not rich, it would never ask the poorest of the poor for money, especially after VII

:yup:

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

This (support of the Church) is covered in the fifth precept, from the Catechism: scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c3a3.htm#II
The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.

There is an obligation to support the church to the best of one’s ability. There is no set amount that must be “tithed”.

You do the best you can.That is all God asks.

Antrim.

There’s the official answer. :slight_smile:

The Church does not give a set percentage of what to give that applies to everyone. It is “each accoring to his own ability”. We do what we can do.

I belive it is acceptable to give EITHER time, talent or treasure…so if you have no treasure, give of your time or your talents. Then when you get back to having treasure, share it with the church before you spring for the luxuries of cable, and an Iphone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.