Tithing

Where does the catholic church stand on tithing?

It’s all for it, but there’s no set formula. Each of us is called to give according to our means and conscience. I have little financial means, but I donate a heck of a lot of time and energy to the Church.

According to the Code of Canon Law, Catholics are obliged to provide for the material needs of the Church and to assist the poor. However, the amount one gives is left up to the individual. The words “tithe” or “tithing” do not appear in the Code of Canon Law.

Canon 222**§1** Christ’s faithful have the obligation to provide for the needs of the Church, so that the Church has available to it those things which are necessary for divine worship, for apostolic and charitable work and for the worthy support of its ministers.
§2 They are also obliged to promote social justice and, mindful of the Lord’s precept, to help the poor from their own resources.

The Old Testament obligation to tithe is mentioned in passing once in the *Catechism of the Catholic Church *in the section on Love For The Poor:2449. Beginning with the Old Testament, all kinds of juridical measures (the jubilee year of forgiveness of debts, prohibition of loans at interest and the keeping of collateral, the obligation to tithe, the daily payment of the day-laborer, the right to glean vines and fields) answer the exhortation of Deuteronomy: “For the poor will never cease out of the land; therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor in the land.’” Jesus makes these words his own: “The poor you always have with you, but you do not always have me.” In so doing he does not soften the vehemence of former oracles against “buying the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals…,” but invites us to recognize his own presence in the poor who are his brethren: When her mother reproached her for caring for the poor and the sick at home, St. Rose of Lima said to her: "When we serve the poor and the sick, we serve Jesus. We must not fail to help our neighbors, because in them we serve Jesus.

Tithe is the Hebrew word for tenth, so in my mind, there’s no need for a formula…it is implied. 10% of all my gifts (talents, money, time, skill, etc…) belongs to God. It’s not mine to give; it does not belong to me. Whether or not I give it back to my rightful owner is a test to me, and I try to pass it. Now, if I want to GIVE, it better exceed 10%, because I can’t give what is not mine.

That’s how I see it, and it ALWAYS comes back to me. Trusting God with your money can be as rewarding as it is difficult. Trust me, if you give 10% and think you can’t afford it, but you’re a “cheerful giver” and your heart is in the right place…he will make sure you can afford this priority in your life. He promises.

I also feel that tithing helps me prioritize better because I’m less likely to spend money on less important, and possibly more sinful, things, because there’s not enough left over to get in trouble with. Idle money is kind of like idle hands, I guess.

Hello BeluvdLily,

I have heard that Catholics pay less than one percent of their income to God when they should be paying closer to ten percent of their income. Jesus swears to us that those who do not care for the poor, He will cast into hell. Jesus teaches us that those who do feed the poor, out of love for Him through the least of His brothers, He will bring into paradise.

I believe that if it was not for the world tax payers many poor people in the world would starve to death waiting for Christ’s Bride, 1.1 Billion Catholics, to share their wealth out of love for the poor. State tax payers spend trillions on national welfare and foreign aid. I think Christ’s Bride, 1.1 billion Catholics probubly spend tens of billions but it would be hard to imagine she even comes close to what one country, America, 350 million tax payers come up with to aid the poor. And a great many American tax payers have no intention of loving Jesus. So why does the Church, 1.1 billion Catholics, hate Jesus so much by not caring for the poor through charitable donations?

I volunteered at St. Vincent De Paul in Seattles downtown area. We responded to calls for help from the poor. At each inteview with the caller the lead volunteer started passing out government pamphlets. She said here is the phone number and form to fill out to get on State welfare. Here is the form to fill out to get your electric bill payed for by the State. Here is the form to fill out to get State food stamps. Here is the form to fill out to get your children, if you have any, on State medical. Then the lead volunteer said, “I want you to know that our Catholic Bishop has fought hard to make sure these State welfare programs remain available to you.” And here (from Christ’s Bride, 1.1 billion Catholics) is a voucher for twenty dollars. Take care! Stay well fed!"

Hipocrites!

NAB JAM 2:14

My brothers, what good is it to profess faith without practicing it? Such faith has no power to save one, has it? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and no food for the day, and you say to them, “Good-bye and good luck! Keep warm and well fed,” but do not meet their bodily needs, what good is that? so it is with the faith that does nothing in practice. It is thoroughly lifeless.

The true beauty of tighting is that God has put a limit on the amount of your income, ten percent, that is required to be true followers of God and those who love Jesus. One can go further than ten percent, and it is a great and loving act to God and fellow man to do so, but God has specified that 10% is the target number to be true followers and not hell goers.

If one cannot afford ten percent of their income, then it would be my advise to not spend any money on oneself, beyond nessessity living, until a full tithe is accomplished.

NAB MAT 25:31

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’ Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’ Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’ He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’ And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

The CC taught tithing for many centuries. It was man that changed it. When God speaks man should listen. Obidience is better than sacrifice. :thumbsup: God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.