tithing

Do you tithe 10% like in the bible?

Where does it say to tithe 10% in the Bible?

well that is what abraham did. It seems to be the standard

Yes - actually 11% of gross right now.

Was at about 5 or 6 % when I was challenged to tithe by our pastor (when he discussed it during one of his sermons). Typically living paycheck to paycheck - we didn’t go from 5 to 11 right away - kind of jumped it up a couple of percent each year - and after a couple of years - went from 10 to 11.

We don’t regret it one bit. We definitely have to “pay the tithe” first - or else we will spend it! We actually have a separate checking account set up that money goes into each paycheck. That way - as long as that account is being used for charity and nothing else we are set. Just makes it easier for us to stay on track.

Since we have been doing this - we still live paycheck to paycheck - sort of - but God always provides!!! He has given us back more than we have given Him!!

God Bless,
DadOf11

What passage would I find that?

I thought that the Catholic Church didn’t teach that tithing was part of the New Covenant mandate?

The tithe is found in the Old Testament, and the Israelites were to give 10% of all their harvest, livestock… income, to the temple. I’ve also heard that this was a national tax as well as religious tax, all rolled into one.

I think it was St. Paul who taught that each person should give as they could, the wealthy should give much more, the poor as they could. It was no longer a percentage mandate.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, since I am a new Catholic, but I’m sure I’ve heard this discussed.

We tithe by the time, talent and treasure method. We also count the TTT we contribute to other charities. The Catholic church has not asked for 10% of income to my knowledge.

Love and peace
Mom of 5

Jeanette and MomOf5,

I think you are both right. When I said we are tithing 11% - I didn’t mean to say all was going to the parish. Typically only half goes there - the other half goes to other places.

Also - you may be right that the church doesn’t put a fixed “percentage” in front of the people - but we all need to agree that statistics show that Catholics are pretty pathetic givers :frowning: !!!

You are 100% right when you say that people should give what they can. Some can’t give 1% without having it take food out of their children’s mouths.

Some could be giving 50% and still not be damaging their yearly trip to Disney World.

One knowledgable person said that the %age should be one that “makes you hurt just a bit”. It can’t take the basic necessities out of your budget - but if you are giving to the church and not even noticing the amount in your budget - you may need to pray about giving some more!!!

Just like “how many children should you have” - the amount you give to the church and other organizations needs to be done with prayer and a well formed conscience with regards to how well off you are in regards to others.

At least - that is my thinking…

God Bless,
DadOf11

Tithing 10% would require me to remove my son from Catholic school and sell my vehicles. I honestly feel like I give what I can, we struggle mightily.

Sounds like good thinking! :smiley:

Is the ten percent based on my gross or net income. I pretty much only consider what I actually get after all deductions as my income

Having been disappointed by the proportion of tithes which many churches spend upon themselves rather than upon the poor, we now devote all such contributions to charitable organisations such as Oxfam.

I.e., yes, we do tithe, but not to any church, and the percentage varies by their need and our capacity.

Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7).

That’s not the only verse about giving only what you are cheerful about giving. Reguardless of guidelines, God dosn’t want it if you aren’t willing to give it.

But if you want a rule of thumb… and idea of what is a good amount, we have some old testamet passages where people offered a tenth of their increase (not a tenth of everything they already had but a tenth of their increase) to support the priests who served them. Tithe means “tenth”. So that’s how we get 10%.

We have two New Testament Commandments to follow.

29"The most important one," answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” *(Mark 12:29-31)

So we look at this to detrmine Tithing. 1. Do we care more about our money and the things we can buy with it than we care about God? If we think we might we are breaking God’s law by keeping our money for ourselves. 2. We are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves. The Good Samaritan story tells us everyone is our neighbor, even our enemies. Is there someone you know in dire need of monetary help? Consider the following verse to see if you are breaking God’s second commandment by not tithing.

For there was not a needy person among them,* for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales, and lay them at the apostles’ feet; and they would be distributed to each, as any had need (Acts 4:34-35).

Bold mine. Now I Tithe a tenth sometimes. Sometimes I do not tithe that much. there have been time where I tithed all I had… It wasn’t enough to cover my basic expenses and by my human might I could not survive, so I just gave it to God and prayed for Him to care for me… and when I have done that He provides! Only a couple of months ago this happened and I just found $500 laying on the ground! God blesses you when you give with a cheerful heart and follow His 2 commandments.

Is the ten percent based on my gross or net income.

I would not figure 10% based on Gross income because that number is not what you were increased by… that is just a figure you never actually see.

I don’t have the actual verses on me but this is what I have gathered about tithing. I will look up the corresponding verses tonight, I promise.

First there was no tithe on anyone who did not work with the land. ONly farmers and herdsmen had to tithe,not shoe makers or tailors for example. The tithe was a support for the priest. It was not money. The people responsible for the tithe took the money to the temple and had a party with the priest. If you lived to far from the temple then you sold your animals, went to the temple, bought food and wine and again, had a party with the priest.

If you had less then ten animals, you didn’t tithe.

The tithe was only given to a LEvite priest. No one else.

Very few of us would be required to tithe if we lived in Old Testament times.

Also, the tithe was not collected every year.

The tithe that Abraham gave was based on his increase, not his base income.

articles on tithing

tithe-debate.info/tithe/jews-dont-tithe.html

bible-truths.com/tithing.html

tentmaker.org/books/TheTitheIsAbolished.html

greenwood.net/~cdevans/Tithe.htm

Let me point out that these are not Catholic site, but they do make biblical references for those interested in a different viewpoint on tithing. Some might have some views that I don’t agree with. I haven’t previewed any of these sites, I only was looking for tithing information.

I don’t believe that we should tithe but we should give to our church. The amount depends on the individual family. The word tithe seems to indicate a certain set amount and there is no set amount.

Personally, a family who is wealthy should give more then 10%, a person who is poor shouldn’t feel guilt about not giving ten percent.

Bible quote concerning about tithing

Leviticus 27:30-34
Numbers 18:25-29

Talking about tithing, my boyfrez told me that his uncle (a Catholic) ask him to stop tithing to the church because his dad wasn’t happy about him giving money to the church (coz my BF’s dad is a non believer) i was very very upset when i heard this, thought Catholic does not practise tithing but it is wrong to cause others to stumble for the house of God, especially tithing is a commandment of our giving back to God.

I just hope the Catholic can comprehen why protestant tithe to our church and not always thinking that all protestant church are money sucker…come on, our monthly tithing to the church are payout to staff salary, mending the church, serving our missionary works, commitment to non-profit charity organization…

tithing comes from (i think) the commandment in Torah to donate 10% of the harvest (not other income). THere’s a seperate commandment for charity which does not have a specific percentage attached to it.

It’s interesting that churches drop almost all the laws and commands of the Old Testament, except the one that commands us to give them 10% of our earnings.

heh.

We give 5% of our income to the Church the other 5-9% we give to various charities.
We also donate our TIME to the church and other volunteer groups!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.