Title "Mary Mother of God"

A Prot friend of mine asked me how could we Catholics call Mary the Mother of God, doings so implies that she is a God also, and thus makes God himself subordinate to his mother?

I told him NO, we don’t believe Mary is anykind of God but a very special creature of God.

Mary is the mother of God just as Barbara Bush is the mother of the President. Does that make Barbara a President? I asked him.

My Prot friend is a football player at the local university. So, if I say his mother is the Mother of a football player does that make her a football player? I asked him.

I am a Manufacturing Engineer at my workplace. Therefore my mother is the Mother of an Engineer. Now, does that make my mother a Engineer also? I asked him.

I also told him because all generations shall call her blessed so we give her …her deserved title which we say she is the Mother of God, and rightfully so!

After a while my friend admited he got the jist of it. And in our debates he no longer brings it up!

Just thought I’d share it with you guys!

Very cool! Did you point out to him that all three of the so-called pillars of the reformation defended Mary’s title as Mother of God? see Basic Apologetics # 6 here:
catholicapologetics.com/

:thumbsup: I liked the whole President/Football Player/Engineer comparison, I’m going to keep it in mind for the future.

I never understood their resistance to calling her the Mother of God. Did she give Birth to Jesus? Yes. Does that make her Jesus’ mother? Yes (He even calls her mother in the scripture). Is Jesus God? Yes. So if she is Jesus’ mother, and He is God, why wouldn’t she be the Mother of God? Where is the disconnect here?

[quote=auhsoj88]A Prot friend of mine asked me how could we Catholics call Mary the Mother of God, doings so implies that she is a God also, and thus makes God himself subordinate to his mother?

I told him NO, we don’t believe Mary is anykind of God but a very special creature of God.

Mary is the mother of God just as Barbara Bush is the mother of the President. Does that make Barbara a President? I asked him.

My Prot friend is a football player at the local university. So, if I say his mother is the Mother of a football player does that make her a football player? I asked him.

I am a Manufacturing Engineer at my workplace. Therefore my mother is the Mother of an Engineer. Now, does that make my mother a Engineer also? I asked him.

I also told him because all generations shall call her blessed so we give her …her deserved title which we say she is the Mother of God, and rightfully so!

After a while my friend admited he got the jist of it. And in our debates he no longer brings it up!

Just thought I’d share it with you guys!
[/quote]

The Church wished to state in no uncertain terms that Jesus is God with this title.

we honor Mary under this title, which in Greek as Theotokos, unbroken sacred tradition from the first century, confirmed in the council of Ephesus in the 5th Century, if your source wishes to reject this teaching, they will have to provide basis for rejecting all Christian doctrine dating from these early Church councils( including the Nicene creed) and provide documentation for their reasons.

I like the president/football player/engineer approach.

Usually my response goes something like…
If Jesus can refer to Mary as “mother” then why can’t we?

[quote=puzzleannie]we honor Mary under this title, which in Greek as Theotokos, unbroken sacred tradition from the first century, confirmed in the council of Ephesus in the 5th Century, if your source wishes to reject this teaching, they will have to provide basis for rejecting all Christian doctrine dating from these early Church councils( including the Nicene creed) and provide documentation for their reasons.
[/quote]

It’s even in the Bible: “And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” (Luke 1:43). Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, said that to Mary.

She is the mother of Jesus, no? And Jesus is God, no?

Put two and two together.

Jesus said "I am in the Father as the Father is in me."
So Jesus is God.

I don’t think I have to quote anything to prove Mary is the mother of Jesus.

I always thought it was simple logic, but as G.K. Chesterton said “You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.