Titles of Jesus

May the titles, ‘Son of God’, ‘The Christ’, ‘Messiah’, and ‘My Beloved Son’ be used interchangeably to describe the divine nature of Jesus?

Ruh:

The terms you list may all be used to describe Jesus. There are different terms, because they were used in different original contexts.

For instance: “Son of Man” had a particular appeal to the Jewish audience to which it was first addressed. Also the term “Son of David” would be in the same usage.

Both “Christ” (Greek) and “Messiah” (Hebrew) mean “the anointed [one]”. They testify to the fact that Jesus is the One who was to come, that was prophesized about in the Old Testament.

“My beloved Son” is an English translation of the words of the Father during Jesus’ baptism: “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

All of these terms attest to the divinity of Jesus, but it different circumstances or understandings.

Of course the name “Jesus” itself means “God saves.”

God bless you,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.