TLM Credo

This is a really stupid question, but at the Credo in the TLM are we supposed to genuflect when the priest genuflects or when the choir intones “ET HOMO FACTUS EST?” I have seen it done both ways and am wondering which is correct.

[quote=drforjc]This is a really stupid question, but at the Credo in the TLM are we supposed to genuflect when the priest genuflects or when the choir intones “ET HOMO FACTUS EST?” I have seen it done both ways and am wondering which is correct.
[/quote]

When the choir sings. Actually we’re supposed to bow at that part in the current liturgy and geneuflect on Christmas and the Annunciation. But most people don’t do that because they don’t know how to read the missal in the pew. So it’s just me, the priest, and one other lady that does this.

[quote=drforjc]This is a really stupid question, but at the Credo in the TLM are we supposed to genuflect when the priest genuflects or when the choir intones “ET HOMO FACTUS EST?” I have seen it done both ways and am wondering which is correct.
[/quote]

At every TLM I have been to, everyone genuflects at that part of the Mass. At a sung Mass, the priest says the creed to himself, then sit in the chairwhile the chior finishes. By the time the chior gets to the “et homo factus est” the Priest is usually sitting, and intsead of getting up and genuflecting, he only removes his bereta and bows. However the altar boys do get out of their seat and genuflect on both knees, and the congregation genuflects along with them.

Regarding if we should genuflect when the priest does (before the chior gets to that part). Again, at every TLM I have been to, the congregation does genuflect at that point. This seems to be correct since the Altar Boys also genuflect when the priest does, and the congregation usually follows what the altar boys do (they stand when the altar boys stand and sit when they kneel, etc.). So, in my opinion we are supposed to genuflect when the priest does, and when the chior sings the “et homo factus est”.

At a sung Mass, the priest says the creed to himself, then sit in the chairwhile the chior finishes. By the time the chior gets to the “et homo factus est” the Priest is usually sitting, and intsead of getting up and genuflecting, he only removes his bereta and bows

That’s precisely what I was wondering about. So in your experience the congregation ended up genuflecting twice, apparently.

Yes. I travel a lot and always attend the Traditional Mass. In my experience, that is what the congregation always does. I don’t recall any congregation that didn’t genuflect both times.

You must genuflect when “et incarnatus est…” is sung. From what I have seen the priest genuflects when saying then genuflects again with the congregation then sits and everyone else sits. The priest only bows and removes the biretta when they sing " adoratur" or at least thats what I have seen and of course everytime the name of Jesus is said.

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.