TLM in local parishes

I have been to four parishes in my local area here in eastern PA. And not one wants to or plans to offer the TLM. Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Doylestown) , St. Jude (Chalfont), St John the Baptist (Ottsville), and Shrine of Our Lady of Czestahovia (New Britian). Not One!!. You can’t even get a priest to come out and talk about it. So much for Summorum Pontificum!. God forbid if we take away our priests from kumbaya music and eucharistic ministers for a couple of hours. Mount Carmel pays someone $4,000 a year to play an organ. Probably a protestant.
Where is Ecclesie Day when you need them.:rolleyes: And the only one that offers the TLM, Our Lady of Consolation, offers it at 2:00 pm, once a week, and is about an hour each way. Who wants to go to Mass at 2:00pm in the afternoon. Allot of these priest say how beautiful the TLM is, but god forbid if they make any effort to celebrate one Mass. It may disturb the liberal majority.

Here’s the drill:

Get 100 signatures (because that’s a convincing number and will yield a turnout of about 30) on a petition that says you want the TLM and will attend.

Present it to your pastor.

If he says he has no one who knows how to say this Mass, contact Ecclesia Dei and see if they can work with you.

Do you know a priest who would be willing to learn it? It takes more than a week, y’know.

a) A preference for the OF does not make one a liberal.

b) It could actually be (I know you might find this astonishing) that most people prefer going to mass in their own language.

D’ya think? I attend the TLM once a month. I’m cool with Latin. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Gregorian chant (we have a really :cool: male *schola cantorum). *I am eager to see a wider use of the Extraordinary Form, but even THIS diehard traditional-minded Catholic recognizes that the new lectionary is something not to be dismissed lightly.

And MOST people really DO have trouble with the Latin, no matter how much we tell 'em it’s easy!

And I want you to know, Mercygate, that I’ve tried to go the other way and make an effort to appreciate the Latin for the purpose of worship (I genuinely have a fondness for Latin, as I enjoy learning about other languages), but it just leaves me cold.

Of course, if I had my druthers and as I said in another thread, I’d attend an Anglican Use parish. I can still remember the Prayer of Humble Access, “But Thou art the same Lord Whose property is always to have mercy.” Still gets me.

I still pray it on the way up the aisle to Communion – the old form:

WE do not presume to come to this thy Table, O merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in thy manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord, whose property is always to have mercy: Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of thy dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his Body, and our souls washed through his most precious Blood, and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen.

That is a beautiful prayer. Thanks for posting it. It is one that I will learn. :thumbsup:

ABSOLUTELY, the old form!

I never once heard Gregorian chant in any Mass, ever since I was born. My loss thanks to “Vatican 2”. I would probably prefer an Anglican Use parish, but again their is none in my area. The reform of the reform is not taking place either. No changes at all in any of the parishes. Same bad music, protestant practices, like holding hands, and eucharistic ministers, as well as altar girls. I wish I would have been born in the Middle Ages, Egypt, or in Greece.

Maybe, except for the dentistry.

I think the ‘reform of the reform’ needs to have the same grassroots support that the changes following Vatican 2 enjoyed. We need to “own” this in an effective and responsible way WITHOUT expecting my liberal and arrogant generation to get behind it. We need to round up the manpower to commit to attending the TLM and we need to organize the schedule, arrange training and transportation for the TLM priest, learn Gregorian chant (great article some months ago in either Crisis or Latin Mass (I forget which) on starting a “garage schola”, and make sure the word gets out.

What we DON’t want to do is whine that “nobody is doing anything” and “nothing is changing.” B-16 has put the ball in our court. Let’s volley!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.