TLM Indult

Could someone explain TLM Indult?

“TLM” stands for Traditional (or to some people, perhaps Tridentine) Latin Mass. This means the “pre-Vatican II” order of Mass, and it uses the 1962 Missal instead of the current one. It is also called Tridentine because it is the order of Mass that, while it traces its roots back to the early Church, it was most recently revised at the council of Trent back in the days immediately following the Reformation.

“Indult” refers to the fact that we are referring to an officially allowed TLM, celebrated with full permission of the diocese/bishop and in full communion with Rome and the Pope.

It is sometimes necessary to clarify that we are talking about an approved Mass, by using the term “indult”, because unfortunately there are groups of people out there who are not in communion with Rome, and who are celebrating the TLM Mass without diocesan/Vatican approval.

Any Roman Catholic who wishes to be in good standing with the Church is not allowed to attend or receive Communion at these unapproved (or “non-indulted”) TLM Masses.

Hope this helps. For the record, if you are of the younger generations and have never seen the pre-Vatican II Mass, and ever get a chance to attend a TLM Indult please go! I’m definitely one of the post-Vatican II generation, and it was very moving for me to attend our diocese’s indulted TLM…

+veritas+

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to learn more about my new faith. I recieved my first communion this past Easter and have been reading everything I can get. I have learned so much over the past year. Again thanks for your reply and I will try and get to one of the TLM masses if I can find one around Nashville TN.

There is no indult now. in 2007, H.H. BXVI in his Summorum Pontificum, freed the Mass of indult. ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/b16SummorumPontificum.htm

Any priest who can competently pray the Mass according to the 1962 Missal can do so. No permission from the Bishop is needed.

[quote="At_Trent, post:4, topic:2258"]
There is no indult now. in 2007, H.H. BXVI in his Summorum Pontificum, freed the Mass of indult. ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/b16SummorumPontificum.htm

Any priest who can competently pray the Mass according to the 1962 Missal can do so. No permission from the Bishop is needed.

[/quote]

The original question was asked almost six years ago, dude.

Summorum Pontificum was publicised well enough by the mainstream media that no-one who cares about the TLM can be unaware of the fact that there is now no indult.

[quote="LilyM, post:5, topic:2258"]
The original question was asked almost six years ago, dude.

Summorum Pontificum was publicised well enough by the mainstream media that no-one who cares about the TLM can be unaware of the fact that there is now no indult.

[/quote]

It was near the top of the first page. Don't know how or why, seeing as though the post before mine was long ago. At any rate, it was there and the current status of the TLM was stated. :cool:

And no, everyone does not know about the SP. Every Catholic in the world does not post or read the forums or surf the internet.

Ah. An update. Well if you found the old post, I guess some one else might. Thanks for the update. Indult no longer needed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.