To All CAF: What is your strongest and weakest skills in Apologetics?

My strong point, I believe, is in my familiarization with Sacred Scripture.

I think my weak spot in apologetics is in dealing with the differences in non-Christian religions like JW’s, Mormonism, and Islam.

I’m one of those who would love to see a JW/Mormon debate. Then perhaps the differences would be clearer to me! :smiley:

0 Likes

Same here, I think.

Oh, yes I need improvement in my typing skills in grammarical usage. I have the habit of not proof texting my post before sending them out.

A really good book you should get - it’s not very expensive, and it’s easy to read - is The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White.

It’s a book about how to write. Spelling is also really important. If you write and speak well, you will be considered intelligent, even if you aren’t - and if you don’t write or speak very well, you may be written off as either an idiot or a child, even if you are extremely bright. Also, if people have to work at trying to understand you, they often won’t bother.

That is why some members assumed English is My second language, which is not true. I do speak better than I type.

I certainly hope so!! :wink:

0 Likes

compare to a lot of you iam just a little ant in the apologetics. i do read a lot and bookmark. sometimes i need to quoted from other sources. for me my strongest is mary. still need to learned stragedies to defend other issues. hopefully i will learn with your help.:smiley: “May the Sacred Heart of Jesus be Adored, Glorified, Loved & Preserved throughout the world, now & forever. Sacred Heart of Jesus, please pray for me. Saint Jude, Worker of Miracles, please pray for me. Saint Jude, Helper of the Hopeless, please pray for me. Amen.”:slight_smile:

0 Likes

Strongest area: arguing with Mirdath.
Weakest area: arguing with Mirdath.

Another weak area: Mariology. I’m really a recent Catholic, although I’ve been a Christian for years and years. So I believe in Marian teachings, pray the rosary, and so on, but I know I would not be good at explaining or defending. I’m thankful other people are.

I’ve learned a lot from this forum. There are some people whose posts I look up and follow around just because I like to read what they have to say (no, I’m not a stalker, and I’m not Truthstalker either :slight_smile: ).

0 Likes

I need to rephrase something. I’m not a recent Catholic; I hope to be received at next Easter Vigil. So the reality hasn’t caught up to my heart yet.

0 Likes

Welcome to the journey!! :extrahappy:

0 Likes

:rotfl:

Thanks for doing so – you’ve at least been good for me, and I hope the reverse is also true, even if we’re never going to change the other’s beliefs :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Strong areas: sacraments, Mary and saints, infallibility, and “Catholic Church once banned the Bible” (this one because I’ve encountered it so often)

Weak areas: “Vatican riches,” Inquisition, Crusades. Hey, I can’t keep track of everything.

0 Likes

Clearly… (sorry I can’t resist…)

I need to improve in my knowledge of scripture- specifically, being able to quote the chapters and verses. I also am very good at memorizing facts, but forget easily where I got them. (it’s that way with everything- I can write great research papers…if I can get away with leaving out the citations and bibliographies and just read the material, learn it, and put it into a paper…otherwise, that is a very weak area for me). I need to work on remembering what I learned as well as where I got my information.

Apologetics is difficult for me because it was unnecessary in my conversion. I didn’t need to be convinced about Mary’s role in the Church- I somehow always knew that’s how things should be. I didn’t need to be convinced about the importance of the priesthood- that just made sense to me. I liked the Latin liturgy and the repetitiveness of the Mass, so it drew me towards Catholicism- rather than push me away. The Eucharist was a challenge, but at that point, I had already decided to become Catholic- so I figured if it wasn’t true, I would just ignore that part of it. God’s grace changed that when I went to adoration the first time. Hearing conversion stories helped, because I knew I wasn’t the only convert out there, although I have yet to meet anyone whose conversion story is anything like mine.

0 Likes

“Never going to change the other’s beliefs”? Not so; I have a strong faith and hope that we will meet in Heaven. May God bless and guide you always.

0 Likes

My biggest weakness is my:irish1: :irish1: :irish1: Irish temper…You all have no idea how many posts I have deleted after writing them. (Nor the number I have had to :blush: ask a mod to fix,after the time elapsed for my own edits).
Seriously, I don’t know how some of you manage to keep your heads in the heat of a debate. And:dts: it doesn’t matter what you say if you’re http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/hitting/10.gif when you say it…:twocents:

0 Likes

I did say ‘if’ :wink: And I offer what blessings a skeptic can in return – including a recommendation to read Balzac’s The Atheist’s Mass if you haven’t. There’s a translation online here. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

closed #33
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.