To all those married to non-Catholics

Never lose hope!

I am married to a beautiful agnostic, going on one year now (we've been together for five years). We've had discussions about God and religion, usually leading to dead ends. So, I've begun taking a new, and I think smarter, approach... a.k.a. prayer and fasting.

Let me tell you something. I have been fasting (eating mostly bread and water a few times throughout the day, though other things as well at certain times) for about four days now. When I'm feeling especially hungry, or just when the Spirit hits me, I'll say some variance of the following prayer:

My God, I am fasting this day for the conversion of my wife to belief in you and acceptance of the teachings of your holy Catholic Church. I unite my suffering and hunger with Christ's own sufferings during his passion. Open her heart and fill her with your graces, through Christ the Lord, and in his name I pray. Amen.

I've also been listening to Patrick Madrid's "Search and Rescue" series on EWTN while at work.

I say all this to tell you that yesterday ("On the third day..." ;)), while spending time together on a lunch break, she took my hand and told me that she wants to try NFP. I am still in utter shock. This was me, yesterday and today: :eek:

You have to understand, I would sooner imagine my wife cutting off her own left foot than to even consider NFP. This is no coincidence. This is the power of our God, who I know yearns for her conversion more than I ever could. I will continue praying and fasting for my wife until she comes to embrace God and Church teaching fully, and I hope you all will as well. Let this be testament to the power of the Holy Spirit, that you may trust in him in your own situations, and as Patrick Madrid has taught me, remember that "with God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26).

Prais God! That is a wonderful testimony.

Amen to that!

Praise God! We're praying with you!

Praise Jesus!

That's great. :)

I bought my husband a Green scapular. Hopefully one day, he will come to his senses.;)

my husband is agnostic, and we have been having discussions about God, and Catholicism, he has always been very open and supportive our raising our children Catholic. I recently put a prayer card "Our Lady of Lourdes' that has a medal attached to it in his wallet. I pray every day for his conversion and to believe again in God.

He has also started recently coming to mass with us ALMOST EVERY Sunday:D.

My husband is a Catholic but other than going to Mass, there's not much Catholic about him. I was inspired by your post and am going to try bread and water fasting and prayer this week! Praise God that it's working for you.

That's wonderful. Prayers and fasting have done great things in my marriage as well and this encourages me to persevere. Is there a a sticky anywhere for people praying for a particular person's conversion?

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.