"To always think well and highly of others"

Advice from Thomas Kempis. In Imitation of Christ.
Do you try to do that? Or do you think it is unwise advice?

It is advice I admire, but do not always succeed in following.

It gets easier when one tries to actively implement it with good motives.

I think well and highly of you, goodcatholic. :wink:

I do until they let me down.

I think it’s very good advice to always try to do that. We should err on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt, since we don’t know their heart or their struggles. I try to follow this advice in my own life, however imperfectly. I wish everyone would take this advice to heart.

It’s rather wishful thinking that we could all be like Mr. Rogers and love our neighbor perfectly, but it’s worth trying to put it into practice in our own lives.

Some people are good at discerning the character of others, but I think it’s more common for people to be quick to jump to conclusions and unfairly judge the motives or actions of others.

When you have clear evidence that someone is untrustworthy or dangerous, etc., then you might need to protect yourself or others by not associating with them, or turning them over to the law, or whatever needs to be done.

I think Jesus’ words apply here:

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt 10:16

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Matt 7:1-2

We can’t ALWAYS think highly of people. There are a lot of people who have done clearly evil things. But we can still pray for people, from afar if necessary. People have a way of surprising us.

Once I put myself on the pedestal, it’s hard to fit anybody else there. :slight_smile:

I want to try and answer this honestly. And one thing I have learned from reading imitations of Christ is the danger of over thinking your faith. So it is possible I will contradict myself.
On internet forums like this, it is dangerous to rate others’ opinions higher than your own. And vice versa. Somehow we have to think highly of someone, without thinking highly of their opinion? :slight_smile:
Maybe it just means, look past their opinions. See the potential in everyone. We are all much more than our puny opinions on an Internet forum.

This is a good point. We can’t think highly of people we already know are untrustworthy, unreliable, or dishonest. We can and should love them, but it doesn’t mean that we should trust them.

I try and I will die trying. It’s a CONSTANT battle for me. The spirit is willing but the soul has a lot fo work and a long way to go. God Help Me Please!

Charity demands that we do so. Humility as well. Yet, admonishing the sinner (NOT judging) is a spiritual act of mercy.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.