To argue profoundly of the Trinity

What does it avail you to argue profoundly of the Trinity, if you be wanting in humility? In truth, sublime words make not a holy man but it is a virtuous life that makes him dear to God.
I would rather feel compunction than know its definition. If you knew the whole Bible by heart , what would it profit you , without the love of God and his grace?

compunction. a feeling of uneasiness or anxiety of the conscience caused by regret for doing wrong or causing pain; contrition; remorse. any uneasiness or hesitation about the rightness of an action.

Bad news for Protestants there I fear.

I don’t argue the trinity. The concept of transcendence is the first hurdle with non-believers.

I like to think of the Trinity as [ The First Family ]
Also, isn’t God entitled to a little privacy ?

When talking about the good news of Jesus Christ, the Trinity is bound to be brought up by curious people, if only in regards to talking about Jesus.

What does this mean? Are you implying that since Protestants generally know their Bible and theology well, that they are not normally full of God’s love and grace, or that they don’t feel contrition or compunction for their sins?

It sounds a little like you’re saying someone who can argue theological truths well, like some Protestants, isn’t usually also a holy, loving person, but of course we know that’s not true. I can think of several right now, and many Catholics as well.

Of course, being theologically profound would hold little meaning in the long run if one wasn’t also applying the truths to one’s life, as you said. Without love, we’re just a clanging cymbal and all that.

A theologian who helped explain difficult concepts, like the Trinity, would be very helpful for the Church. But if they didn’t live their faith and ultimately lost their soul, it would be a great tragedy.

Or were you more referring to the fact that when Protestants feel contrition, they do not have access to the Sacrament of Reconciliation?

I’m just a little confused, because of course, Protestants believe the same about the Trinity that we do.

Protestants think faith is more important than works? That was the distinct impression I got. Also that the better one knew the Bible, the closer you are to God.

Protestants (minus Unitarians) are all Trinitarian.

I’ll just wait to see how many people actually get it. Hint: Chapter 1 Kempis Imitation of Christ.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.