To Be Catholic

Do you have to agree with all Catholic Church stances on issues like abortion, gay marriage, invitro fertilization, etc?

Why would you trust the church on some nice things like the Eucharist and the whole rising from the dead thing and heaven but then discount the more logical yet harder to hear teachings? My point is that if you disagree with the church in the op subjects them how in the world can you believe any of it? Why would you want to be Catholic?

Can Christians advocate the murder of innocents? Can Christians disagree with Christ?

The answer should be obvious.

Yes.

God addresses us through His Church. He does not leave us to our own devices, struggling to determine what is true and what is false, what is right and what is wrong. He would not leave us without a guide, vulnerable to the lies of Satan; He would not leave us so easily exposed to the peril of damnation. Protestants deny this.

Pax.

What happens if you truly do not agree with a particular teaching but abide by it anyway? For example, you may not agree that contraception is wrong but being a Catholic you wouldn’t use it anyway.

There must be many Catholics like that.

who can say with any certainty? But in general, the answer is: that would be that’s OK. I am not smarter within my own intelligence and my relatively few years on this earth than the Church and all its teachings are accepted whether I fully understand them or not. I trust that Jesus Christ gave us His church and the Holy Spirit to guide it. I may struggle here or there, but know that the failing is within me, not in His church. I vow to pray for further enlightenment, but it is not necessary for me to perfectly understand each and every teaching. I trust that Jesus did not leave us orphans and that He will be with us always until the end of the age. I can always learn and grow within His church.

I think it is more likely there are many Catholics who don’t understand a particular teaching of Christ but still give assent to them. But in some teachings…does anybody understand the Trinity? Or Transubstantiation? We may have theological reasons for them but there are some things that are mysteries and we can never fully understand God’s way here on earth. However we must give assent to them because they are teachings of Jesus.

So the answer is no. As long as you comply with the teachings.

That’s like saying to your fiancé: I love you and everything, but I don’t think I agree with that whole fidelity thing.
Wouldn’t fly too well. :blush:
After all, Christ is our beloved.

Also, we should publically dissent, like politicians do, and lead others to believe wrongly, or present hiprocracy.

To be Catholic one must be baptized Catholic or received into the Church via a profession of faith. Nothing changes that, ever. Not “disagreement”, not “excommunication”, not “I quit”, not death, not anything.

When one is already Catholic by virtue of either of these, one does not cease to be Catholic if one “disagrees” with Church teaching. **Obstinate **post baptismal denial of doctrines of the Church constitute heresy. If one “disagrees” because one doesn’t understand, is struggling, learning, and trying, that isn’t heresy. But, regardless of one’s position or relation to the Church in such circumstance, one does not cease to be Catholic. You would have to look at whether you were a Catholic in need of confession, but you are still a Catholic.

At all times, agree or disagree, one must **assent **to the teachings of the Church. Meaning, for example while you may not intellectually understand or accept that contraception is wrong, in practice you do not contracept in your marriage. To know what the Church teaches, and freely act contrary, moves you into the realm of grave matter and mortal sin.

When one is not yet Catholic, I am not sure how one would make the profession of faith (that you believe and profess all that the Church teaches) if you really do not believe everything the Church teaches. That would be at best disingenuous and at worst an outright lie-- and grave matter in itself. But, of course people join the Church every day while mentally reserving the fact that they disagree with Church teachings.

Once they’ve made their profession of faith, then see above-- assent is required and continued formation of conscience and study with the intent of understanding and coming into full acceptance of Church teaching is necessary.

EDIT: POST # 10

We should NOT… my mistake.
Left out the word NOT. I shouldn’t post from my phone. :blush:

Yes.

It requires both fidelity of the intellect and the will… To say, “I believe the Church is wrong about xyz moral issues, but I’ll listen anyway,” is a bit like turning the Church into your crazy Aunt Sally who you love but think is bonkers so you pity her when she asks you to run pointless errands. Not exactly a flattering image of the Mystical Body of Christ which was promised to be led “into all truth” by the Risen Lord.

You have to be open to these ideas with the understanding that the Church has 2,000 years of studying human nature and She knows the underlying falsehood beneath these seemingly good ideas.

Abortion is an especially evil act. Abortion is murder of an innocent child. A woman who believes that she has no other choice may not be wholly accountable for this act. She may be the victim as much as her child. But those around her who gave her no choice, the money making abortion clinics and doctors who perform this murder will have a much more difficult time explaining the greed, selfishness and abuse that is at heart of abortion to God.

Yes actually you do. I seem to recall when you become Catholic you reject satan and all his works

Lots of Catholics don’t, and are still Catholic, so the answer is clearly “no”.

Now, a better question might be, do you need to agree with all the Church’s stances in order to be in full communion with the Church?

I know many Catholics who do not agree with these issues. I do not think it makes them less.

Sure it does. It makes them “less obedient”. It makes them “less well formed”. It makes them “less in communion.” However it doesn’t make them “not Catholic”.

Many of those issues are very difficult to understand and live in agreement with.

Good answer.

Once a Catholic always a Catholic but perhaps not in full communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.