To bear the yoke

In The Book of Lamentations, Chapter 3 Verse 27 states;
It is good for a man to bear the yoke from his youth.

Does to bear the yoke refer to doing the will of God?

I would say it means to learn self-discipline when one is young, rather than having to learn it later after many mistakes.

I agree. To me I think it means to accept responsibility for yourself and your actions when you are young. To learn self discipline.

Yes, it is to place ones hope in Him, to follow Him, to seek Him, to recognize our obligation to know, love, and obey Him and to strive to fulfill it. It’s to seek to do the right thing.

From the Catena Aurea, St. Thomas explains:

“It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.” That is, a fear of the Lord, and love for the Lord in his youth. Since, as the ardor of time is lessened, and youth is more easily led towards virtue. Like Proverbs 22:6: “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”

Always give the context. The text without the context is a pretext and will inevitably lead to error and misunderstanding.

Let’s see what it looks like in context:

Lamentations 3:25-35
The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul that seeks him.
26 It is good that one should wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
27 It is good for a man that he bear
the yoke in his youth. 28 Let him sit alone in silence
when he has laid it on him;
29 let him put his mouth in the dust—
there may yet be hope;
30 let him give his cheek to the smiter,
and be filled with insults.

31 For the Lord will not
cast off for ever,
32 but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion
according to the abundance of his steadfast love;
33 for he does not willingly afflict
or grieve the sons of men.

Looks like it is an encouragement in times of trouble For the Lord will not
cast off for ever, He will have compassion.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 27. Yoke. Afflictions endured for justice sake ensure a blessing. (Haydock) — All may derive great benefit from suffering.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.