To go to Confession or not to go?

I fell into confusion earlier this week and then finally into sinning. I have even sinned as soon as just a matter of a few minutes ago and fell into presumptious thinking of, "Just do this now and go to Confession later today. Problem solved".

Now I don't feel immediately sorry for my sins at this moment, but I know if I go to Confession that I will try not to fall into them again.

I also know myself very well and the other temptations that will follow if I do not go to Confession. I know there will be temptations to further sin since "I've already made mistakes that will land me in hell, may as well just go for it now" and I know that the severity of sins and temptations will likely snowball and increase.

Although I don't feel immediately sorry at this moment like I've said, in the bigger picture I want to be a disciple of Christ. I want to follow Him. I want to please Him and do what He asks of me. Should I go to Confession today or am I not sincere and truly sorry that I should take a few days to further reflect upon what I've done?

You can repent out of sincere desire, you can repent out of fear of the consequences of sin, but you don't have to rely on your personal feelings when you know that you've committed a sin.

Feeling change. Facts do not.

Just go. You know you should.

Be reconciled, and then go to Mass and receive communion with a clear conscience.

Let the Body and Blood be medicine for you. And pray for grace to overcome this sin.

When in doubt ALWAYS go. ALWAYS.

God Bless.

This.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn't get them in time, but I decided to go to Confession and explain this all to the priest there anyway.

Well, I don't think he cared to hear my explanation and I kind of felt rushed out a little, which felt awkward but he gave me absolution and gave me my penance.

I said my penance but it "felt" like my heart was not in it. I didn't feel any different or any more forgiven and still I do not. Even more confusing I felt tempted to keep sinning again in the same manner last night and I felt dirty for being tempted once again and so soon after going to Confession. I "feel" like I messed up again and like I maybe wanted or attempted to start planning things for the future for when I may sin again. I feel like the "remember this idea" thing is what makes me feel like I've sinned. I suppose I still have the choice to follow through with that or not, so I'm not sure if the desire to sin is necessarily a sin in itself?

It can’t ever hurt to go to confession.

[quote="TheHolyGhost, post:5, topic:332833"]
Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn't get them in time, but I decided to go to Confession and explain this all to the priest there anyway.

Well, I don't think he cared to hear my explanation and I kind of felt rushed out a little, which felt awkward but he gave me absolution and gave me my penance.

I said my penance but it "felt" like my heart was not in it. I didn't feel any different or any more forgiven and still I do not. Even more confusing I felt tempted to keep sinning again in the same manner last night and I felt dirty for being tempted once again and so soon after going to Confession. I "feel" like I messed up again and like I maybe wanted or attempted to start planning things for the future for when I may sin again. I feel like the "remember this idea" thing is what makes me feel like I've sinned. I suppose I still have the choice to follow through with that or not, so I'm not sure if the desire to sin is necessarily a sin in itself?

[/quote]

Feelings are not a reliable guide to anything. And temptation is not sin nor is it a sign that you are unforgiven - remember even Jesus was tempted.

Ramp up your prayer life, that should help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.