To intervene?

Recently, at another forum I visit, someone started a “good riddance to the Pope” thread. It started off predictably enough, and it’s now predictably devolved into a general attack on the Crusades, the colonization of the Americas, and Church teaching on contraception and homosexuality, with a few brave souls trying to fight back the storm of abuse.

Do you think it’s worth getting involved in, or should I just stay away?

Someone started a thread here with the very same words–probably the very same person. The mods here very wisely removed it from the board. That should tell you something, yes? :wink:

[quote=Della]Someone started a thread here with the very same words–probably the very same person. The mods here very wisely removed it from the board. That should tell you something, yes? :wink:
[/quote]

What do you mean by that? I’m rather confused as to what you’re trying to get across.

Do you think it’s worth getting involved in, or should I just stay away?

All the old cliches and prejudices rolled up into one thread, eh?

Two things to consider:

1. Most people, when talking of what “everybody knows” (meaning, what they themselves believe), really don’t want to listen to any other POV. Think about it–if they actually did listen, they might have to change their minds. . .and that would mean acknowledging at least to themselves that they had been WRONG. . .very few people can take correction gracefully. IOW, it’s in their best interest, and their peace of mind, NOT TO LISTEN.
  2. Most people, when confronted with those who disagree with them, especially if they’re not only vocal about it but downright rude, vicious, and nasty, either suffer terrible burnout (from trying to remain sane and reasonable) or “descend to the other person’s level”. . .and then feel guilty!

So it’s up to you. You’ll have to weigh whether this means enough to you to correct, knowing that the chances are that no one is going to listen to a word you say, and will excoriate you for it. . .whether you have the strength to remain loving and courteous to these people. . .

God bless, whatever you decide.

[quote=Tantum ergo]All the old cliches and prejudices rolled up into one thread, eh?

Two things to consider:

1. Most people, when talking of what “everybody knows” (meaning, what they themselves believe), really don’t want to listen to any other POV. Think about it–if they actually did listen, they might have to change their minds. . .and that would mean acknowledging at least to themselves that they had been WRONG. . .very few people can take correction gracefully. IOW, it’s in their best interest, and their peace of mind, NOT TO LISTEN.
  2. Most people, when confronted with those who disagree with them, especially if they’re not only vocal about it but downright rude, vicious, and nasty, either suffer terrible burnout (from trying to remain sane and reasonable) or “descend to the other person’s level”. . .and then feel guilty!

So it’s up to you. You’ll have to weigh whether this means enough to you to correct, knowing that the chances are that no one is going to listen to a word you say, and will excoriate you for it. . .whether you have the strength to remain loving and courteous to these people. . .

God bless, whatever you decide.
[/quote]

Thank you for the advice Tantum. I’ll keep all of that in mind.

Hi Hospitaller!

Because of my station in life and the views that I hold, I frequently find myself at odds with almost everyone I meet. I have usually been able to find a way to get my point across and “agree to disagree” with most. On the few occasions that I have not been able to do this, I believe that it was more of a case of the other being unreasonable.

I think forums on the Internet have a knack for attracting people who are fairly stubborn about their opinions. I’m sure that’s true even of a few posters here. Perhaps the proper attitude to enter into any forum with is to pay attention to how the arguments in the thread affect and change you, rather than expecting to change a whole lot of hearts and minds through the power of your own intellect.

I, for instance, joined this forum knowing that I was going to have sharp disagreements with most on a number of issues. I am decidedly not here to convert other people over to my point of view (though, if it happens, I’ll try to live with it). I am here to simply read and learn for myself. Perhaps you should similarly ask yourself whether or not the commenters on such a thread will hae anything to offer that’s worthwhile.

[quote=Hospitaller]What do you mean by that? I’m rather confused as to what you’re trying to get across.
[/quote]

That people who post things like “good riddance to the pope” aren’t worth the time and trouble of answering them. It’s like casting your pearls before swine.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.