To Jews: What prophecies did Jesus of Nazareth not fulfill?

Extra Question: Did Noah and G-D favour Shem and his descendants more than the others? Are Semites more special than non-Semites?

I am absolutely and obviously NOT Jewish. I am Catholic and Catholic alone. Amen. However, I just wanted to say that Jesus fulfilled every single Messianic prophesy, because He, Jesus, IS the one and only Christ and Messiah, our Lord, our Savior, and our Redeemer, God the Son and the Son of God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity Who is the One and Only God. Amen. :slight_smile:

As to your other questions, I have no idea!

I’m not a Jew but I think its clear from the bible that the Jews are very special to God, much a like a favourite child. God loves all his children but I guess no one said he couldn’t have favourites :smiley:

There are many. The first obvious one that sprang to my mind is Isaiah Chapter 2.

No. The descendants of Jacob (i.e. the literal, genealogical children of Israel/Jacob) are elected as God’s “firstborn sons” and “treasured nation.” Shem was righteous and therefore favored by God, but Japheth was also righteous, although less so. But their descendants don’t enjoy any special status. Any human being can elect to join the chosen nation as an equal if he accepts the yoke of God’s commandments.

• The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)
  • Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)
  • The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)
  • He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10)
  • The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with “fear of God” (Isaiah 11:2)
  • Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)
  • Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)
  • He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)
  • All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)
  • Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)
  • There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)
  • All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)
  • The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)
  • He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)
  • Nations will end up recognizing the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13-53:5)
  • The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)
  • The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)
  • Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)
  • The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot
  • He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)
  • Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)
  • He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)
  • He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9)

I have another question, actually. Why isn’t there true Orthodox Judaism. Most denominations I learn about seem to have been created recently.

I have another question, actually. Why isn’t there true Orthodox Judaism. Most denominations I learn about seem to have been created recently.

I don’t know what you mean. There is such a thing as Orthodox Judaism. It has only recently had to organize itself as a “denomination” in contrast to other, more liberal forms of Judaism, so liberal Jews argue that Orthodox Jews are just another modern denomination. But Orthodox Jews continue to practice the Torah as they have done for centuries.

In answer to your original question: obviously there are lots of prophecies Jesus did not fulfill. Any Christian should agree on that. That is why we believe in the Second Coming. The lion is not yet, after all, lying down with the lamb.

Edwin

Today’s Orthodox Jews are descended from the Pharisees of the first century. The Sadducees and Zealots are pretty much wiped out or converted to Christianity very early.

The Pharisees started to evolve during the Babylonian captivity as a way to practice Judaism without a temple. After the destruction of Jerusalem circa 72AD (from memory), there WAS no more temple and the synagogue system developed by the Pharisees became the default practice of Judaism.

So if your question is why modern Judaism doesn’t practice animal sacrifice, have priests and all the trappings of the OT, it’s primarily because they have had no temple for over 1,900 years. The few left who think they need a temple aren’t ready (yet?) to incur the bloody wrath of the Islamic hordes if they were to tear down the Dome of the Rock and rebuild a Jewish temple. (The muslims built on the site of the Holy of Holies as a way to demoralize the Jews and “prove” that theirs was the true faith.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.