To native English Speaking Members

I lost my mother when I was 4.
I am too sensitive to the word "Mother" and to the theme. I am sensitive to all that relates to the Mother of God.
I love the Beatles song: Let it be. It is just too wonderful
Now, native english speakers, do you think that in the lyrics of this song (click here) is there anything that makes it not palicable to Our Lady Mary, the Mother of God, in a symbolic way, obviously, in a metaphorical way?

thanks for the inpu.

I think that it was at least partly written about Our Lady. Also "Let it be" is how "Amen" was translated into English.

I am very sorry for the loss of your mother. I will pray for you and for her.

I don't think anything in the lyrics can't be interpreted in a Marian way. Of course there's the question of how the members of the Beatles would have interpreted their own song, including the middle stanza which might have been a reference to a socio-political ideal we would not like (cf. Imagine by John Lennon), but I also think they made it deliberately vague so that people could apply it in the way they wanted. The song is meant to be comforting, not divisive.

'Mother Mary' refers to Paul McCartney's mother, who died of cancer when he was 14. I don't believe it intentionally references the BVM. But God does have a way of sneaking these things in....

[quote="fermat, post:4, topic:255355"]
'Mother Mary' refers to Paul McCartney's mother, who died of cancer when he was 14. I don't believe it intentionally references the BVM. But God does have a way of sneaking these things in....

[/quote]

Very interesting! I didn't know Paul's mother was named Mary. Still, the double meaning would have been obvious to him. "Mother Mary" is a term that applies to St. Mary all the world over. It's much different than saying "My mother, Mary" to refer to one's own earthly mother. Still, perhaps British english is different in this respect than American English. In America, one would not usually say "Mother Jane" or "Mother Donna" to refer to their own mom. That would be a strange thing to say. As a native English speaker, I know that it is very unusual to refer to your own mom using her first name. At the same time, if someone said "Mother Mary" most people would immediately know who was being referred to.

If this was indeed a song about his own mom, I'm confident he chose the wording purposefully to refer to his mother, and at the same time invoke the thought of the universal mother that most people can relate to, the Blessed Mother Mary.

[quote="Garyjohn2, post:5, topic:255355"]
Very interesting! I didn't know Paul's mother was named Mary. Still, the double meaning would have been obvious to him. "Mother Mary" is a term that applies to St. Mary all the world over. It's much different than saying "My mother, Mary" to refer to one's own earthly mother. Still, perhaps British english is different in this respect than American English. In America, one would not usually say "Mother Jane" or "Mother Donna" to refer to their own mom. That would be a strange thing to say. As a native English speaker, I know that it is very unusual to refer to your own mom using her first name. At the same time, if someone said "Mother Mary" most people would immediately know who was being referred to.

If this was indeed a song about his own mom, I'm confident he chose the wording purposefully to refer to his mother, and at the same time invoke the thought of the universal mother that most people can relate to, the Blessed Mother Mary.

[/quote]

ANY BRITISH around ?????????????????????

[quote="Pfaffenhoffen, post:6, topic:255355"]
ANY BRITISH around ?????????????????????

[/quote]

I hope so!
If it helps any..whenever I watch British TV shows I never here a child refer to a mother using a first name. It's always mummy or mum. :D

If I'm not wrong, the Daughters of St. Paul recorded "Let It Be" on one of their CDs recently.

While I've always liked the Beatles (especially pre-psychedelic stuff), I tend to place their music into a historical context. As much as the BVM could be applied to this song, Paul is singing of his own mother. I don't think he was a practicing Christian at the time (they were getting out of that transcendental meditation stuff while making the album). Not to put him down, but I've just never heard "Let It Be" in a Marian way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.