To Non-Trinitarians

Yeah, so, I realize this is a primarily Catholic forum, but there are people of all faiths here, and this is addressed to those who do not believe in the Trinity…
How do you justify against these verses:

John 10:30: “The Father and I are one”

Matthew 28:19 “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit…”

I think that belief in the Holy Trintity is a widespread belief throughout Christianity. Catholic and Protostant alike:rolleyes:

By John 10:29: “My Father, which Gave them me, is greater than all; and no man in able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.”

I cannot, of course, speak for all non-Trinitarians; many of them are actually modalists who take the 'My Father and I are one" further than even the Trinitarians do. I come from a viewpoint that “My Father and I are one” means “one in purpose and authority,” as the above two verses would seem to indicate.

After all, if the two were truly One Being, why is there a reference to one being giving something to another?

As well, we also have John 17; 20-22:
20: Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21: That they all may be one; as though, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou has sent me.
22. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Ok, Jesus has just instructed His disciples to go baptize people in the name of three Beings; the Father being one, the Son being another, and the Holy Ghost being the third.

If you are arguing against modalism, or some form of belief that puts Jesus and the Holy Ghost on a ‘lower level’ or something than is God, I can see where you would use this, but how does it help with ALL non-trinitarians?

I generally don’t involve myself in this type of topic, but I just wanted to clarify that He actually instructsHis disciples to baptise in one name: "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit…"
The word name is used singular. For a Trinitarian, this is significant. I’m sure non-trinitarians have a response for this.
I’ll let GeorgeSword answer your main question.

Jon

The discussions that I have been in with the Holiness group they tended to try and ignore this verse.

There are groups at there that call themselves Christian but do not believe in the Trinity, these are mainly from a segment of Pentecostalism. At least that’s been my experience. I’m sure there are other groups out there.

I have not discussed too much with non-trinitarians, so I never really thought of what you said in this post. You said it better than I could, Jon. :thumbsup:

In Christ,
Andrew

I have encountered that, too, Sabda. The ones that I met a few times subscribed to some type of modalism, but it was between that and a Trinitarian understanding, but they would never use the word Trinity, because “it was not in the Bible.” That is some serious Sola Scriptura if I ever heard it! :stuck_out_tongue:

In Christ,
Andrew

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.