To pray in Jesus' Name

Most protestants will tell me that God doesn’t hear our prayers (catholic exclusively), because we don’t pray ‘’…In Jesus’ Name.’’ The object to the way we pray (Trinitarian prayer) because it supposedly doesn’t have any Scriptural foundation, while their prayer is. Although Jesus did say that whatever we ask in His name (Jesus’ Name), the Father shall give us (John 14:13-14), we still pray the in Trinitarian form. Could anyone help me out with Bible verses to support the Trinitarian form and why we as Catholics do it? Please. Thank you. I hope you all have a nice day.

1 Like

I would just smile kindly and ask, “and ya’ll think that Catholics are the ones who are too legalistic and pedantic?”

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the Almigjhry God isn’t that picky.

Besides, the “Our Father” isn’t in Jesus’ name.

2 Likes

Sometimes Protestants accuse us of using rote prayers too much or relying too often on formulae, and sometimes not enough it seems. You don’t have to say the specific words “in Jesus’ name” for the prayer to be in Jesus’ name. St. Paul says “Col. 3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Clearly we don’t need to be saying “in name of Jesus” constantly all day long. It is implied in our communion with Him and intention to follow Him.

In any event, here is our doctrine:

CCC

2664 There is no other way of Christian prayer than Christ. Whether our prayer is communal or personal, vocal or interior, it has access to the Father only if we pray “in the name” of Jesus. The sacred humanity of Jesus is therefore the way by which the Holy Spirit teaches us to pray to God our Father.

The Mass itself has many prayers “through Christ our Lord” which is the same thing (and which St. Paul himself uses for prayer often).

3 Likes

By a slight extension of CCC 2664 quoted above, perhaps it is through the sacraments, and particularly the Eucharist, that Jesus is with us and hears our prayers.

1 Like

Point out that by that logic, Christian prayers were not heard for 1500 years before Luther came along. Then the gates of Hell have prevailed.

1 Like

Ignoring the criticism of the Catholic tradition for a moment, I’m not at all sure that when we are told in scripture to pray “in Jesus name“, that it is really meaning that we should say those three words as if they are like a magical incantation stuck onto the end of our request. When you operate in somebody’s name, you are doing exactly what they would do in your shoes. Sticking on those three words at the end of a prayer does acknowledge Jesus as our source of hope and life, but saying them like a formula may be missing a deeper point that Jesus was trying to get at.

2 Likes

Most Protestants? Are you sure? I never heard that before. A tiny minority of Protestants would be my guess. Anyway, @0Scarlett_nidiyilii has already shown that up for the nonsense it is:

1 Like

There is a less literal way to interpret this for your protestant friends. I can pray “in Jesus name”, or with Jesus present with me, or in the attitude of Jesus, simply by praying with loving intent. That may be a stretch for some but I find the idea helpful. I agree with the post by Genesis315 that a prayer life could be become very cumbersome if every time I spoke with God I had to invoke Jesus’ name.

First of all, that’s baloney, God hears all sincere prayers and there aren’t magic words we need to use to get his attention. Also, Jesus told us himself, in Scripture to pray the Our Father. Does the Our Father have “in Jesus’ name” in it anywhere? No.

Second of all, “Most Protestants”? You mean “Most Protestants” that you happen to meet, right? Because I can tell you that Anglicans, Presbyterians and other mainline Protestants don’t have any problem whatsoever with “Trinitarian form”, nor do they make arguments like what you are saying. In addition to that, there are many Baptists, Evangelicals etc who pray almost exclusively to “Father God” or “The Holy Spirit” and may not be making a point of praying in Jesus’ name. It sounds like you are meeting some special select group of Protestants who have an issue with this; it is not something all Protestants or even most Protestants worry about.

Third of all, Catholics often pray “In Jesus’ Name”. At every Mass we say a prayer called the Collect which ends with something like “Through Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, forever, Amen.” This is praying “in Jesus’ Name” and is done at every single Mass. Catholics also often pray personally in Jesus’ Name based on that Scripture verse you cited. My own personal prayer usually goes like this: “Dear God, I pray for XYZ, in Jesus’ Name I humbly pray. Thank you. Amen.” So this idea that Catholics don’t pray “In Jesus’ Name” is bunk. Obviously the person claiming this has never been to a Catholic Mass and doesn’t have a clue.

Although I personally like to say “In Jesus’ Name” when I pray, I don’t say it every single time (for example, when I am reciting the Our Father) and Celtic Warlord has a good point about praying with loving intent and in the attitude of Jesus being pretty much the same as “in Jesus’ name”.

1 Like

True.

That is true. You see, were I live, the great vast majority of protestants and evangelical, Pentecostal, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Baptists and Adventists. Anglicans and Episcopalians are very rare.

Thank you for all of your help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.