To Protestants--do you ever pray the Rosary?

***Just curious. I was praying the Rosary before work today, and thought…this is such a beautiful prayer! (I think this a lot when praying the Rosary) A time to ask Mary for her prayers, as she is close to Jesus. :o We don’t look to Mary as ‘divine,’ we ask her to pray for us, similiarly to how you might ask a friend to pray for you.

If you don’t, just curious if you have ever considered it? ***

No, I do not - and, I am not a Protestant, I’m not protesting anything (kind of like people calling you a papist - it’s a coded word). I am member of the Reformed faith.

I do not see Mary factoring into my spiritual life at all, except when I think of her amazing role as the mother of Jesus in the incarnation. She was uniquely blessed to carry our Lord and be his earthly parent - she must have been simply amazing.

We do not pray to dead people; we pray, through the Holy Spirit, to Christ our intercessor. There can be no better intercessor than the Son of God, Redeemer, Savior and King of Kings.

I do not believe that dead people interceed for us - only the omnipotent, omnipresent second person of the Trinity.

*Hi Chosen;

In thinking back, maybe I should have put ‘non Catholics’ instead of Protestants, but too late now. :o

The thing is, Mary (the belief of Catholics) was assumed body and soul into heaven. She is not ‘dead.’ That said, she prays for us, when we come to her in prayer. The fact that God chose a mere mortal to cooperate in His plan of salvation for the world, is beyond words…that Mary said ‘yes’ in cooperation, is beyond words. She is not divine, but her prayers for us are powerful. Lives have been changed, miracles happen through praying the Rosary. It is not praying TO her, but requesting FROM her, her prayers. (I am thinking you know this, but maybe you believe Catholics pray TO Mary, which is sometimes the case) Just checkin. :slight_smile:

Do you believe in saints? (off the topic, but just curious)*

My wife is Catholic, so I do understand your position - I just disagree with a lot of it. We, of the Reformed faith, do not see Mary as being in a position to receive our request for prayer; we see her as being too busy glorifying God and exhalting Him forever to be interested in human events - as with all saints. We do not view Heaven as a place where the departed are any longer concerned with their former live, instead they are praising God and being perfectly joyful in His presence. It would be a waste of my time to ask anyone departed to pray for me. And, most importantly, I have the Perfect Intecessor already to plead for me before the throne of hte Most High - even if I believed in prayers from the dead, I would be much more effective going to my own Savior and asking Him to interceed.

I do believe in saints - all who have died completed in Christ, the elect, are saints in heaven. I do not believe in 'S’aints, that is special people in heaven. I hope, and have faith, that when I die I may become a saint and joy the chorus of eternal praise to God.

I have “experimented” using the prayers of the rosary at various times to seek to understand the spirituality better of those who use those prayers. When all was said and done they do not “speak to my condition”.

I do find myself however joining along when I hear others pray using those specific prayers. I have attended Catholic funerals of friends and loved ones who have passed.

I have made several rosaries, one Catholic I gave to a friend who was facing a cancer diagnosis…he said “It came at the right time…I hadn’t used a rosary in years…and I couldn’t find mine.” I gave an “Anglican rosary” I had made to a friend who was being confirmed into the Episcopal church. I made a “Protestant rosary” to a Lutheran acquaintence one Xmas…it has 33 beads for each year of Christ’s life, 11 beads separated by 3 larger beads representing the Trinity and the “center” large bead which represents the Son has a small semi-circle of decorative beads around it from which hangs a cross.

I have used a prayer rope…and even took it to Meeting with me and recited the “Jesus Prayer”…but I found I was distracted from the Gathered Meeting and found it difficult to…Center Down again after vocal ministry was offered by various Friends.

we see her as being too busy glorifying God and exhalting Him forever to be interested in human events - as with all saints. We do not view Heaven as a place where the departed are any longer concerned with their former live, instead they are praising God and being perfectly joyful in His presence.

Hi :slight_smile: just a question, - do you think that the Saints can glorify God not only through worship but through loving others? (and their prayers are an expression of that love)…

I believe the Saints pray for us cause they’re filled with God’s love and when they remember earth, they know there are people here who are suffering… I can’t imagine that if I were in Heaven, I’d become indifferent to the lives of my family and friends left here on earth… in fact, I’d see all the more clearly the condition they’re living in, and how the devil is constantly trying to lead them in the wrong direction, so I’d pray for them all the more… and the prayers of the Saints are very powerful cause they’re so close to Him and “the prayer of a righteous man avails much.”

the Catholic Church teaches that God can be glorified in different ways… He can be glorified when we simply love one another… (since He is love). Works of charity are as important as worship… and I can’t imagine the Saints ceasing to do works of charity in Heaven.

Another concept is the Church Militant and Church Triumphant… (Church on earth and in heaven). We are all one Body of Christ and we’re all united by the Holy Spirit. It’s not like when people die they leave the Church… (because they don’t leave Christ’s Body, they are still ‘in Him.’)

I think if I were in Heaven, I’d see all the more clearly the condition here on earth, and how millions of souls are heading to hell… and compelled by God’s love, I think I’d want to pray for them… if we love God, we should care for what He cares about :slight_smile: salvation of souls is one of those things…

God bless

I ask Mary and all the saints in Heaven to pray for me and my family, but I have never prayed the Rosary. I understand that there are many different prayer patterns one can pray on it, including the Psalms. I wouldn’t know which one is the “correct” one.

Chosen, protestant means “of the public declaration,” so there’s no problem with the word. And in a sense, we are protesters in that we want to reform the Catholic Church and re-unite with it, right?

I see the Elders in Revelations, surely Saints by the RCC definition, continually falling down and saying, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God almighty.” If they, the 24 most honored people are doing this non-stop, how much more the rest of the saints?

I do not see any support for departed people in heaven having any interaction with us. They are with God, we see that anyone who sees the Glory of God is overcome with a need to worship Him. I believe that we will be overflowing with joy for eternity wanting nothing more than to praise God.

As a Catholic I do not usually pray to saints or pray the rosary. I find it more beneficial to pray directly to the Lord. I just base my feelings from the Book of Hebrews and I see Christ as our High Priest who intercedes on my behalf to God the Father. I don’t judge or mock people who pray to saints. And I don’t think praying to saints is foolish or wrong at all. I just find it unnecessary to pray to a saint because he is close to Christ and then Christ will hear the saint’s pleas and then Christ will intercede for me to the Father. I skip the chain of command and go straight to the head of the company :)…I have prayed the rosary many many times but don’t find repetitive prayer very beneficial to me, and I emphasize to ME. Many people, many friends of mine, feel great grace and blessings from the rosary. I haven’t felt that connection so much so I just pray straight to the Lord.

Hello, perhaps you should read this:

To Jesus Through Mary

"True devotion to Mary and saints leads us closer to Jesus. True devotion does not in any way impede our focus on Jesus. As Cardinal Mahony noted further: “Everyone who prays the Rosary with these Scriptural reflections and prayers will be drawn more intimately into the full Paschal Mystery of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.”

As Catholics, we are really urged to pray the rosary…

Hope it helped!

What are the words to the prayers of the Rosary?

Anna

This might be helpful. The three main prayers of the rosary are:

Our Father, Who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

God Bless

While I was a devout protestant I lived in an apartment with a room mate. He had an evil spirit afflicting him there, especially at night, and there was a discernable presence. People who had stayed the night had visibly seen this presence and had ‘bound’ it in the name of Christ but it persisted. I went through the Litany of the Saints asking every saint to pray on my behalf.

It was an improvisation of the rite of exorcism, if I remember correctly.

I must say that I felt an incredible presence of the Holy Spirit at that point. I felt my heart leaping with joy in my chest and I got chills all over. It was the same feeling I had gotten at my moments of most intense prayer with groups of people praying together intently for one cause.

I did not and do not believe I was asking dead people to pray for me.

1 Timothy 1:16, Galatians 6:8, Romans 6:22, Acts 13:46, John 12:50, John 6:47, John 6:40, John 6:27, John 5:24, John 4:14, John 3:36, John 3:16, Luke 18:30, Matthew 25:46, Matthew 19:29, Matthew 18:8.

I believed and believe they were and are partakers in the eternal life promised to us by our savior.

For anyone who is interested, the evil spirit left.

In an unrelated incident, after I began looking at the Catholic Church, I began praying the rosary daily at work. I awoke one morning to find that the face of Christ on the crucifix of my rosary had been broken off and was nowhere to be found. Apparently I had made someone unhappy.

Remember that there are legions of demons hoping for your destruction. It is good to know there are legions of saints hoping for your salvation.

Thank you so much. Very helpful.

I have prayed the first prayer.

Still not sure what I think about asking for help from Mary.

Anna

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: And do not be afraid to ask for prays from Mary. Jesus loves it when we ask for her intercession!

God bless you.

Also, in regard to the question of whether the saints and elders in Heaven are too busy worshipping to offer up our prayers to God, Revelations is a useful tool in getting an understanding of Heaven.

[quote=Revelations 5:8 KJV]8And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
[/quote]

Edit: I just realized that this post may have come across as argumentative or combatant. I apologize if it does. It is not intentional.

I appreciate your concern but I’m very happy just being devoted to worship and prayer toward Christ Himself. I pray the Our Father frequently and the Creeds and the Glory Be which is on the rosary. I worship the Son of God and put all my attention on Him. What you’re saying is that that isn’t enough and I need to do more. I just disagree. But thanks! :slight_smile:

Rev 8
3Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all the saints, on the golden altar before the throne. 4The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of the saints, went up before God from the angel’s hand.

No. I don’t as I do not think praying to anyone or through anyone other than God or Jesus A) Does any good; and B) is not needed. The intercession of the saints is one of the FEW real issues I have with Catholicism. At the same time, because of some of the classes I teach I know the words to the hail Mary. The other issue I have with some scripted prayers is that they can easily become a rote habit that have little real meaning to the person saying them. At the same time, it’s nice to have a few prayers that everyone knows so people can pray together.

I would add that repetitive, memorized prayers give the Holy Spirit more room to operate in some respects.

We aren’t grasping for the correct words, we just go with the flow and remain open to the Spirit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.