To receive the Body of Christ is cathequesis mandatory?

My godchild is 8 years old and she was baptized in February. I already explain everything about the Eucharist and she acknowledge. Does she needs church cathequesis to receive communion?

Your godchild's parents need to discuss this with their pastor.

Yes, she needs instruction and it is up to the pastor to determine when she is ready for FHC.

[quote="fabio_rocha, post:1, topic:322570"]
My godchild is 8 years old and she was baptized in February. I already explain everything about the Eucharist and she acknowledge. Does she needs church cathequesis to receive communion?

[/quote]

Ask your priest. Most children attend catechesis before receiving First Eucharist/Communion around the age of 7-8. Ask the priest what is required for your diocese and then. . .do what he says. I'm actually a bit surprised that this was not covered at her baptism, but the requirements in Canadian dioceses can differ from those in the U.S.

God bless. Ask your priest!

[quote="fabio_rocha, post:1, topic:322570"]

[/quote]

I remember one pope who said that a child may be ready to receive around 4 or 5. Maybe someone will help out and remember who the pope was. I tend to think it Pope Pius X.

The reason he said it was that children sometimes can distinguish sin, or right from wrong, at that age. And they should not be denied reception if they can distinguish Jesus in the Eucharist. "Let the little children come to me." Jesus.

In the eastern Catholic church, the tradition is to give the infant after baptism holy Communion.

Just some thoughts.

"I will bring you home, I love you and you are mine." (hymn)

In the US, 1st Reconciliation occurs first.

Because she was just baptized in February, her parents will need to discuss this with their priest. She needs to understand that the Eucharist is Jesus (at least at an 8-year old level) and the Priest needs to know that she understands. She will also need first confession (reconciliation). (my 8 year old niece/god-daughter was baptized last year and just had first Communion 2 Sundays ago :) ). I know that my sister had to teach her older kids at home so they could "catch up" to the other kids their age in terms of catechesis. So there's not really a straightforward yes or no answer to your question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.