TO THE ADMINISTRATORS, and everyone else

Hey boys and girls:
lately this forum has been buzzing with the idea of women priests and ordenation (i personaly dont agree) but i also think they should made there case, can you guys give us some place in these forum about this subject. (like the one on terry shiavo or the pope.

thanks

[quote=miguel delgado]Hey boys and girls:
lately this forum has been buzzing with the idea of women priests and ordenation (i personaly dont agree) but i also think they should made there case, can you guys give us some place in these forum about this subject. (like the one on terry shiavo or the pope.

thanks
[/quote]

I don’t agree, as women’s ordination is something that will never and can never be according to the Teachings of the Catholic Church.

So there is no case to be made or that can be made to change this.

So why the endless discussion. Everyone knows what the Church teaches, its a done deal. I can understand if someone does not like it, but it is not something that more discussion will change.

So what I guess I am saying is that I do not understand what a special topic for this will do here at the forum except to give the false impression that this is something that can be changed by debate.

Just a thought: maybe the sub-forum could be titled as “the priesthood” or “vocations” or something else that doesn’t imply that women priests are a possibilty. That way it could still have a place w/o implying that this teaching could be changed.

I think it is good that we discuss it b/c it helps people understand the priesthood, etc. Maybe the sub-forum would spark some other quality discussion too.

Thanks

I agree totally.

[quote=ByzCath]I don’t agree, as women’s ordination is something that will never and can never be according to the Teachings of the Catholic Church.

So why the endless discussion. Everyone knows what the Church teaches, its a done deal. I can understand if someone does not like it, but it is not something that more discussion will change.

So what I guess I am saying is that I do not understand what a special topic for this will do here at the forum except to give the false impression that this is something that can be changed by debate.
[/quote]

[quote=cathyt]Just a thought: maybe the sub-forum could be titled as “the priesthood” or “vocations” or something else that doesn’t imply that women priests are a possibilty. That way it could still have a place w/o implying that this teaching could be changed.

I think it is good that we discuss it b/c it helps people understand the priesthood, etc. Maybe the sub-forum would spark some other quality discussion too.

Thanks
[/quote]

I still stand by my statment. Even if we have a topic for “the priesthood” or “vocations”. This topic, women’s ordination, is a done deal. Discussing this does not help one understand the priesthood, in my opinion.

Read the documents on this issue, they say it all, no need for any discussion on this topic. To find the documents just do a search on this issue here at the forum and you will find links to them in almost every thread that discusses this. There really is no discussion. It can not be and will not ever be.

How does discussion change this?

It’s a very hot topic right now and people are going to keep talking about it – just look at the number of threads containing that as their subject. This topic leads off into related threads about whether or not the Catholic faith subjugates women, in part because they are not eligible to be priests.

On every thread, at least one person posts “it’s a done deal, never gonna happen, quit talking about it.” People continue discussing it. Just telling people to stop talking about something doesn’t squelch the idea.

I see nothing wrong with people questioning their faith and why Catholicism teaches what it teaches, including that only men can be priests. Also, non-Catholics wondering about our faith or people thinking about converting visit this site. I know people from other, non-religious forums are lurking here to learn more about our faith after the recent media attention with the new pope. I wonder how it looks to them to see people questioning a teaching and other people trying to shut down the conversation. I’m afraid it looks like people are intimidated or threatened by anyone asking questions about our faith.

Because of this, I think having a separate area for these related topics are a good thing. People who are annoyed by the question can avoid that area, people who come here wondering why women can’t be priests or why Catholic women feel very valued and satisfied in their church can go right to the place for the answers.

There is no open window on women becoming priests. Let the subject just die already…:smiley: Not too many of us are interested…well…those who believe in Catholicism anyway.

Christ is risen…truly he is risen!
Shoshana

[/quote]

miguel:

Unfortunately, most of the posts on the so-called “women priest” issue are from the ModSquad dissenters who think they know more than the Church. Giving them a platform like the one you suggest will only bolster their resolve to flood the board with more posts.

In my opinion, these posts should be locked as soon as they appear.

As for:

[quote=cathyt]Just a thought: maybe the sub-forum could be titled as “the priesthood” or “vocations” or something else that doesn’t imply that women priests are a possibilty. That way it could still have a place w/o implying that this teaching could be changed.
[/quote]

I do not think a subtopic is needed. Although there is much discussion on the topic right now, I think putting them in the Liturgy & Sacraments forum will suffice.

PF

Unfortunately, most of the posts on the so-called “women priest” issue are from the ModSquad dissenters who think they know more than the Church.

I’m not sure what the ModSquad is, or whether I’ve been relegated to it. Let me just say I am not in favor of women priests. As a woman, I don’t feel subjugated by my church – if I did, I would find another faith. I love Catholicism. I just don’t see any reason to react so strongly to someone just asking a question.

While it is an interesting topic there is really no reason to create a separate thread

There are plenty of topics that get discussed over and over and over and over …again without the need for a special bin

The Shivo case and the passing of the Pope seem to be significant one-offs that merit their own folder

For most other topics we really don’t need another ghetto of the like minded

By keeping the forums general we all get to see topics we might normally not have looked at

PS ModSquad Gracie? :confused:

The male only priesthodd is DE FIDEI
Therefore, anyone who promotes otherwise is:

1. In a state of disobedience to the Deposit of Faith, and the infallible Teaching of the Catholic Church.
  2. Those who continue to promote non-male priesthood are promoting heresy against the Deposit of Faith, which is objectively a serious sin. Doing this with willful persistence makes one a heretic and outside the Catholic Church.
  3. One risks ipso facto excommunication for promoting a non-male priesthood.

JPII:
Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Luke 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.“
Pope BXVI - Ratzinger:
**Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis to be held definitively, is to be understood as belonging to the deposit of faith. Responsum: In the affirmative.”

Excommunication for promoting non-male priesthood:** ** 1997 January 2: **Father Tissa Balasuriya of Sri Lanka wrote a book in 1990 titled, “Mary and Human Liberation,” in which he called for the ordination of women. The Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) investigated his writings and found them heretical. …The CDF asked again in June 1996 that he sign the original statement (correcting his error); he refused. The Congregation decided to excommunicate him, but did not act on that ruling because Father Balasuriya had appealed his case to Pope John Paul II. On January 2, 1997, Pope John Paul II upheld the excommunication.

Discussing why the church does not allow women priests is not the same as promoting heresy. The old, heavy handed approach of “because I (the church) said so” doesn’t teach, inform, guide or persuade. It doesn’t intimidate any longer and certainly doesn’t cast fear in people’s hearts these days. It doesn’t build up the kingdom of God by reaching out to people who are questioning the church. Those generous posters on this forum who, time and again, answer these questions with patience and grace, explaining the WHY behind the church’s position, do far more good.

Definitely no need! The case is closed. The church says no to women within the Sacrament of Holy Orders. Giving more space for more discussions on this issue is like giving more chances to promote the very same issue. The case on Terry Shiavo (Pro Life) and the Pope is positively parallel towards the church. Remember you are on a Catholic Forum. Promotion of women ordination is in total disagreement from what the church is teaching.

PAX

thanks
[/quote]

[quote=Steve Andersen]While it is an interesting topic there is really no reason to create a separate thread

There are plenty of topics that get discussed over and over and over and over …again without the need for a special bin

The Shivo case and the passing of the Pope seem to be significant one-offs that merit their own folder

For most other topics we really don’t need another ghetto of the like minded

By keeping the forums general we all get to see topics we might normally not have looked at

PS ModSquad Gracie? :confused:
[/quote]

I’m with you. Keep them general. Let the titles be their advertisements.

Those who don’t think these things need to be discussed can refrain from opening those threads.

Alan

**IF it hasn’t already been recomended, read, The Authority of Women in the Catholic Church by Dr. Monica Migliorino Miller. It answers ALL questions pertaining to this subject. You can check it out.

Here is it in BRIEF ewtn.com/library/THEOLOGY/AUTHWOM.HTM

See if your library has the book, though. It’s REALLY good!!!

[quote=dwc]Discussing why the church does not allow women priests is not the same as promoting heresy. The old, heavy handed approach of “because I (the church) said so” doesn’t teach, inform, guide or persuade. It doesn’t intimidate any longer and certainly doesn’t cast fear in people’s hearts these days. It doesn’t build up the kingdom of God by reaching out to people who are questioning the church. Those generous posters on this forum who, time and again, answer these questions with patience and grace, explaining the WHY behind the church’s position, do far more good.
[/quote]

That being said, how many times must we say the samething over and over again?

Currently if you do a search on the forum for “Women’s Ordination” you get 20 threads, on “Women Priest” you get 20 threads, I did not look but I am sure some, if not all, are the same threads in those two searchs.

So we need to give the same teaching 20 times? How many more times until it is accepted that this is what the Church teaches?

Also, it is not the discussion why the Church only ordains men that is the heresy, the heresy is with those who say this is wrong and are pushing the ordination of women.

[quote=dwc]Discussing why the church does not allow women priests is not the same as promoting heresy. **The old, heavy handed approach of “because I (the church) said so” doesn’t teach, inform, guide or persuade. It doesn’t intimidate any longer and certainly doesn’t cast fear in people’s hearts these days. It doesn’t build up the kingdom of God by reaching out to people who are questioning the church. ** Those generous posters on this forum who, time and again, answer these questions with patience and grace, explaining the WHY behind the church’s position, do far more good.
[/quote]

1. It’s been expalined *ad nauseam *by the Holy Father, his predecessors, this Forum, CA’s Apologetics, and all the way back to the beginning.
    Your problem is that you do not accept it. That being so, you promote an heretical position. So, your argument about explaining is nothing but a thinly veiled position against the True Church of Christ, and the way that Christ intended for Her to be organized…to Teach, to Rule, To Sanctify all mankind.
  2. Yes. Infallible Teaching, the Deposit of Faith is CATHOLIC. You want a protestant democratic “we are church” religion. Unfortunately, you have not yet realized that you can only find it OUTSIDE the True Church of Christ.
    Carry on your HERESY promo. We all see what you are doing. So it won’t persuade any Faithful Catholic.

So we need to give the same teaching 20 times? How many more times until it is accepted that this is what the Church teaches?

Are the same people posting the same question over and over, or are they different people? If they are different, I look at it like this: maybe they didn’t look through the forum before they posted their question, so they didn’t see the prior threads and answers. It would be better to see if your question has been answered or already being discussed before starting a new thread, but obviously people aren’t doing that. If a person is in a place where they are struggling with the church or they are trying to understand the faith, in which the church’s attitudes about things which affect women are VERY different from our culture, then what is better for the church: to answer their question and help them understand the church’s position, or to just basically tell them to shut up?

Which approach is more likely to get a person to open their heart to the church and study more and become a more faithful Catholic? I’m sure repeating yourself about this is very trying – that’s why I said the posters who answer these posts and share their knowledge are generous, patient and grace filled.

Now – if the same person keeps posting the same question in order to be a rabble rouser – I say just ignore their post. People with that agenda hate being ignored more than anything.

[quote=ByzCath]I don’t agree, as women’s ordination is something that will never and can never be according to the Teachings of the Catholic Church.

So why the endless discussion. .
[/quote]

I also have to agree with Byz and Dums on this. Not sure why all the endless conversation on the topic. But do we really need to add a forum?

Thanks
[/quote]

Since ordinations are a sacrament, the logical place to put this discussion in in the Sacraments Forum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.