To the moms on the board

Last Sunday, I raced in a sprint triathlon - 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. While I was at the triathlon, DH stayed home with the girls - twin two year olds. Including travel, registration, and the awards ceremony I was gone for seven hours.
When I came back he said 'Finally! You’re back! I’m exhausted, I need a nap!'
And he laid down for an hour or so. I raced a sprint tri, he raced after the girls and HE was the one who needed a nap!
The fact is though - hands down, no questions asked, without a doubt, the sprint triathlon was WAY easier than taking care of the kids. By about a billion.
:thumbsup:
So remember ladies, you’re working harder than you would in a triathlon!!!
And you do it every day! :slight_smile:

:rotfl: How awesome! Good for you! That’s so impressive!

:rotfl:
WAY TO GO on the triathlon!!! You are AMAZING!

how true. as a college assignment for a child psych course we were assigned to work in the campus day care center, following 2 yr olds around, doing exactly what our “subject” did for 2 hours, copying his movements. We all simply collapsed when it was over. Now try chasing the two yr old and keeping him out of trouble

Reasoning with very skilled debative teens can be taxing, too. :knight2: :smiley:

*Is this your first triathlon, or have you done these before? I don’t know if I could do all that! The running or biking…or swimming…not all three. lol How did you train for that? They have these in Tampa every so often…

You go, Iron woman! :thumbsup:*

That’s my question. When did you find the time to train?

lol, thanks!
I’ve never done one of these before, nor, really any sporting competition before, not even in high school. I’m really not very good at running…or swimming…or riding. I’m a FANTASTIC sitter, though. I can sit like crazy! I’m doing it right now!
LOL
Anyway, I take my girls for bike rides all the time. So, I figured, heck, if I can go ten miles pulling 90 lbs of weight behind me, I can probably go 15 miles if it’s just me and the bike!
So, I really didn’t have to do anything to train for that.
I occasionally will get up in the morning, at 5:30 and go run before anyone else wakes up. Or I would go after the kids are in bed, around 8 or so. So, though I wasn’t fast at running, I knew I could do it.
I told an athlete friend of mine this and I told her that I thought, with some time, I could do one of those triathlon sprints. She said ‘Bah, I know you. You’ll never sign up. So I signed us both up for one. It’s in two weeks. See you there!’:eek::eek:
So, I thought, hmmm, if I can’t bike fast, fine, no big deal. And if I can’t run, fine, I’d walk. But if you can’t swim…uh…you drown!
So, I signed up for a one month gym membership not far from my house. they have on-site child care, so I would go there with the kids, drop them in the kiddy place and get in an hour or so of swimming.
To be honest, I didn’t train nearly as much as I should have, my times were really, really slow.
Here in michigan, they have duathlons (run 5k, bike 20k, run 5k) through the end of october, and starting again in april. The triathlons really only run in the summer time. I would guess in tampa they would do these year round. And here in michigan, you do the swimming portion in a lake. I would guess in tampa it would be the ocean?
Okay, now THAT would be terrifying!!
By the way, these races are VERY safe, at least insofar as my fear of drowning was concerned. While we were swimming, they closed off the lake, we were in a very small area, and there were about ten boats out on the water watching for any signs of distress, plus three lifeguards on shore, plus about half a dozen people in kayaks following us.

But really I mean this - if you are physically strong enough to keep up with toddlers, or mentally strong enough to keep up with older kids, going in a little race like this, pfft, it’ll be a walk in the park!

I love this thread! :thumbsup:

Wow! Congrats! :slight_smile:

What a great accomplishment!!
And I have to be a bit mean here for a moment… :rotfl: at the nap! Your poor husband, I do understand that if you’re not used to it, it is a most daunting task to take care of two two year olds. But the fact that he was the one that needed the nap, made me laugh out loud. I bet he will never wonder what you do all day!

That’s so awesome about the triathalon! Congratulations!!! I don’t think I could do that. I was laughing over what your husband said about taking a nap. We’re expecting our first, so I’m not officially a mommy yet, but I’ve watched enough little ones to know how exhausting it can be.

It reminds me of a story my mother told me. My father is a physician and he often times worked 16-18 hour days during the week. Our mother was always home for us after she worked at my father’s office (she’s a nurse and also handled the business side of this practice). When we were infants, though, she would stay home and then while we were in school and my sister was just a little tyke, she’d take her with my dad and her to the office. It truly was family affair. In the summer, we’d sometimes come to the office as well and got to see what it was like to work in the medical field and met so many nice patients.

Once in a blue moon, my mother would take a day to have fun with a couple of her girlfriends and my dad would watch the three of us. My mother said that he always appreciated how much work she did at the office AND with us after just spending a day by himself with three little kids. He was so excited when she came home so that he could rest. He’d be exhausted coming home from the hospital on those late nights, but in many ways it didn’t compare to watching and chasing after a trio of children all under the age of 7. hahaha!

AMEN!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.