To the Muslims:

Is it true that a woman has to stay a virgin before she is married, that is, if she is raped, no man would want her, and, let’s say that she converted to Islam, but, wasn’t a virgin (though her own will) when she converted; is she able to marry a Muslim man? Would a Muslim man want to marry a non-virgin? How disgraceful is it if a woman gets raped in Islam?

Does it matter what they think?

Islam was started by a pedophile anyway.

Why on earth would any Catholic say something so uncharitable? That is not the way that we communicate with others. We are not called to attack or insult. We are called to bear witness to the Gospel by our faith and our actions.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :slight_smile:

I agree, that is not a Christian way of communicating…

well from what I know it is perfectly fine. If a women gets raped in islam, it isnt a disgrace for her, it is a disgrace for the rapist/s and they will be punished for their rape with death.
Anymore questions? :thumbsup:

wasalam

Let me try to address some of your questions. Yes it is true that a Muslim woman must remain pure before marriage usually that means she has to be a virgin. In most Muslim cultures it is very disgraceful when a woman is raped and in places like Saudi Arabia she can even be punished for it because for it too can be considered a rape she must have three witnesses who actually witnessed it. Sometimes women are even killed by their families because they had sex with a man outside of marriage and have disgraced the family. A Muslim man is forbidden in Islam to marry a woman who is not pure I know of cases where mothers will actually slip chicken blood to their daughter to smear on the bed so she will appear to be a virgin if she isn’t one. As for the Muslim convert what she does before becoming Muslims does not matter because Islam teaches whatever you do before you are Muslim is automatically forgiven as soon as you become Muslim as long as you follow Islam from that point forward. So in that case any sex she had prior to becoming Muslim would most likely be forgiven because it was part of her prior life as a non-Muslim.

what who thinks? 1.8 billion people who are growing in number? I think quite alot of ppl matter what THEY think

and ur second insult is just ur opinion-i have many opinions on different saints in christianity but im not going to say them bcz i understand that the person who may read it may get offended or his/her feelings may get hurt.

wasalam

Thanks to JReducation (+ the seconder)…

To the Muslims:

Is it true that a woman has to stay a virgin before she is married, that is, if she is raped, no man would want her, and, let’s say that she converted to Islam, but, wasn’t a virgin (though her own will) when she converted; is she able to marry a Muslim man? Would a Muslim man want to marry a non-virgin? How disgraceful is it if a woman gets raped in Islam?

**A woman should be a virgin before marriage unless she is a widow or divorcee. That is expected of all young girls. In Islam, there is no room (allowance) for extra marital sex. It is same as in christianity or Judaism.

The case of a raped lady is different. It is no fault of her own unless she asked for it. So there should be no bar on her getting married. There should be no hatred against her. She deserves all the sympathy. There is nothing wrong with her. All her parts are clean. She had been a victim. She deserves the maximum support.

I hope that was all right. But what goe son practically, amongst Muslims is different. It varies from person to person, depends on the spiritual and moral education level. Some would not like to see such a lady in their house. There is no cure for such bad people.

Another most imporatnt factor is the religious or government orders. What they say about such raped ladies. It is practically happening in one (namesake Muslim) country that the raped lady has to save her life by producing four eye witnesses that she was raped. If she does not produce the 4 witnesses then she may be given death penalty.

I mean the burden of the proof is put on the raped lady. That is by government orders, i.e. by the law.**

I have to disagree with you on this one I took a class on women in Islam so what you’re saying might be truein Western countries but it is not true for places like Saudi Arabia look at the Islamic law in the way rape is treated there.

That’s because Saudi Arabia doesn’t follow shariah properly. In shariah a man who is accused of rape must produce four witnesses to show his innocence and the women must produce four witnesses to prove his guilt. If the women can find four witnesses and the man can not then the man is executed.

wasalam

Chances are, a rape is not going to be done in an environment where 4 witnesses will be present. What do you do then? What if the woman has all of the physical signs or rape? If there were no witnesses, the man just gets off free?

Question:
If a woman is raped, does she have to bring up 4 witnesses to get the rapist convicted? If so, what is if she gets pregnant. Will she get punishment since juridicaly she is guilty of adultery? And can modern technics be used in order to proof that she was being raped.
I read somewhere else, that she has to bring up 4 witnesses, but it seems very unlikely, since if there were 4 witnesses theese would obviously done something to help her. Can u please bring some light into this whole complicated topic.

Answer:

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

I pray this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

This is a common myth about Islamic criminal law. Rather, the four witness requirement applies only to the prescribed hadd punishment (which in the case of a married person could be death and for the non-married, 100 lashes). [Marghinani, Hidaya] This punishment is only applied in very rare cases, as is clear, and is meant to be a social deterrent, above all.

As the classical and contemporary jurists (such as Mufti Taqi Usmani) have made clear, a rapist can be convicted on lesser evidence (including scientific evidence, such as DNA tests and medical reports) for discretionary punishments. These discretionary punishments are left up to the legal system to determine.

qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=12121&CATE=1

Chances are, a rape is not going to be done in an environment where 4 witnesses will be present. What do you do then? What if the woman has all of the physical signs or rape? If there were no witnesses, the man just gets off free?

Perhaps, but the point is that the woman is not punished. I don’t have very extensive knowledge on this, but I think Zaki is probably right in that the Saudi Arabian situation is a case of an oppressive anti-woman government and society that abuses and oversteps the more sensible prescriptions of shariah.

The case of a raped lady is different. It is no fault of her own unless she asked for it.

How could she have asked for it? By definition, a rape victim did not “ask for it.”

As for rape victims being shunned, frowned upon for marriage, etc., that is something that is a problem in just about every culture. Often, rape victims are viewed as “damaged goods.” Not to mention the rather poor show of support they often receive from friends and family; a tendency toward things like victim-blaming contributes to that. It’s nasty, and it might be worse in some cultures than others, but Islam itself is not at the root of it.

okay but that’s not how it happens in most Muslim countries even if they are following the law incorrectly it doesn’t matter women are still being killed in the name of Islam I know this because the professor who taught the class her life threatens to such a degree that she was forced to leave the university and this happened in the US.

**It is a difficult question. In such cases, medical test is done. But it may not help the lady because of no wtnesses.

As I said, it is a difficult question. The Jewish law also had problems about such things. So they tried to overcome the difficulty by noting various things e.g.

1. Did the incident happen in the city, living area or it happened in a far aay field?
  2. Did the lady try to resist and did she shout for help on top of her voice or she did not shout?

In such way, they tried to give judgement in such cases. I feel that the modern western countries also did not have any easy solution to such problems in recent past. Or did they? Please tell.

The problem in every faith, every country, is the evidence or proof of rape. Once the proof is there then the death penalty is sure to follow in muslim countries.

You presume all Christians are perfect.
You presume too much Brother.

If they were perfect,
Catholics would have no need for purgatory
and your Catholic Church would not be “a hospital for sinners”.

You chastise your Catholic brother with a harsh hand,
but you seem to be ever mindful not to offend those that are not of your Faith.

I know you are not perfect,
and I pray that the Good Lord will guide you in all your ways.

“Look in the mirror, and behold, the work of our Lord’s hand.”

Yes, as the case in Christianity also, unless you have a different opinion on that ;).

if she is raped, no man would want her,

Well not necessary, there are men who marry non virgin women, but they are very few.

let’s say that she converted to Islam, but, wasn’t a virgin (though her own will) when she converted; is she able to marry a Muslim man?

If you mean she committed adultery by her own will, then I don’t think should would be able to do so, unless that Muslim man did the same sin.

How disgraceful is it if a woman gets raped in Islam?

Not disgraceful, she is considered a victim.

Spot on my child. :coffeeread:

wasalam

Does it matter?

A grown man who has sexual intercourse with a 9 year old girl is a pedophile, and this is exactly what Mohamed did.

9 year old…that’s disgusting

all islum follows him? muslim/islum…pedophiles at the very core

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.