to the SSPX friendly

what’s your opinion of the “Jesus, King of All Nations” Devotion? I read an article condemning it, but the same author endorsed Medjugorje, so…:shrug:. Anyway, anyone read up on the messages and have an opinion either way?

Oh, also the Apostolate of Holy Motherhood? looking for feedback here as well.

Thanks so much, please pray for me.

I’m not sure if it’s a specific devotion to Jesus you are refering to, but the SSPX is very much devoted to the social Kingship of Jesus Christ. I’m sure you wouldn’t find any supporters of Medjugorje among the SSPX but i’ve heard of the Apostolate of Holy Motherhood and I can’t imagine anyone in the Society would object to it.

Just my two cents!

I found this in a Litany to Jesus Christ, King of all Nations:

Eternal Father, Who has given us Your Only Begotten Son, to be our Redeemer, One True Mediator, and Sovereign King,
Loving Jesus, Sovereign King, Who humbled Yourself for Love of us and took the form of a servant,
Holy Spirit, Third Person of the Trinity, Love of the Father and the Son, Who sanctifies us and gives us life,

[R] Pray for us.

Just to WHOM would the Father pray for us?

This does not sound like an approved devotion to me.

I think its supposed to be a saint praying for us, not God the Father.

I believe the response to those invocations is: We praise and thank You. Not sure though, it seemed as though they put the response above the invocations it was inteneded for, since “have mercy on us” at the end of the “kyrie” would be a little redundant…but then they would have an extra invocation at the end…?

Anyone read the book and know if that was how it was intended (“Eternal Father, pray for us”) or if this was just a sort of “typo”

Check out a very similar litany at: ewtn.com/devotionals/Litanies/Christking.htm
Much of it is addressed to “Christ the King of Nations”

In this litany, “pray for us” is said only to Mary and to the saints and angels.

The first webpage that comes up if you google “Litany in Honor of Jesus King of All Nations” has an invocation missing at the end (“Holy Angels and Saints of our Divine King”), which makes it look as though the responses are printed after the invocations, but you are correct, they put each response above the corresponding invocations.

The use of the titles “Co-Redemptrix” and “Mediatrix of All Graces” for our Lady is enough to make me cautious about this devotion, and I wouldn’t pray it. Others may have better-informed opinions, though.

Thank you for the clarification.

The use of the titles “Co-Redemptrix” and “Mediatrix of All Graces” for our Lady is enough to make me cautious about this devotion

hancaquam.blogspot.com/2009/01/mary-co-redemptrix.html

Hope this helps:)

I don’t know anything about this devotion that you are discussing, but we already, as Catholics, implicitly believe in Mary as Co-Redemptrix and Mediatrix of All Graces. Grace Himself, the Redeemer Himself, entered the world through Mary.

And, I’ve never understood why anyone has an issue with the title of Co-Redemptrix :shrug: . I mean, I can see how it might be alarming to modern sensibilities, but if we understand what the word literally means, the woman with the Redeemer, than it’s really a statement of the obvious. Mary, the woman, cooperated in a singularly unique way in the Redemption of mankind in being the Mother of God. It’s really quite simple. I can’t even see how a protestant would have a decent argument against it.

As to “Mediatrix of all graces”, Pope Pius XI used this phrase here:

Encyclical On the Sacred Heart
CARITATE CHRISTI COMPULSI

“… Let the faithful hasten in large numbers to the eucharistic board, hasten to the foot of the altar to adore the Redeemer of the world, under the veils of the Sacrament, that you, Venerable Brethren, will have solemnly exposed that day in all churches, let them pour out to that Merciful Heart that has known all the griefs of the human heart, the fullness of their sorrow, the steadfastness of their faith, the trust of their hope, the ardor of their charity. Let them pray to Him, interposing likewise the powerful patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mediatrix of all graces, for themselves and for their families, for their country, for the Church…”

Here’s what I found (at christendom-awake.org/pages/marian/5thdogma/titlemag.htm)

Pius X further expands the panoply of Marian titles used by Pope Leo XIII. Going beyond the Marian titles of Mediatrix, Conciliatrix (Conciliatrix), Restorer (Reparatrix), and Dispensatrix of all grace, Pope Pius adds to the Mariological development when he sanctions the use of the word “Coredemptrix” by three Congregations of his Curia: In the Congregation of Rites, we see the decree elevating the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary to the rite of a double of the second class: “Through this decree…may devotion to the merciful Coredemptrix [Conredemptrix] increase.” [20] The Holy Office repeats the title in the following section on Indulgences:

There are some people whose love for our Most Blessed Virgin inclines them never to pray to Jesus without mentioning the name of His mother, Blessed Mary, our Coredemptrix [Corredemptrice]. This laudable custom expands the invocation, or the Christian salutation: “Praised be Jesus Christ,” concerning which this Congregation issued a decree on March 27, 1913. [21]

Six months later the Holy Office again employs the use of this term:

An indulgence granted to the following prayer for reparation addressed to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the instrument of reparation [reparationis causa]: “Blessed be your prerogative…of Coredemptrix [corredentrice] of the human race”.[22]

We can do more than presume that Pope St. Pius X personally approved their statements. After all, they were published in the official Acta Apostolicae Sedis and were never recanted. As cited above, on one occasion “Coredemptrix” was used by the Congregation of Rites, but twice this title passed the scrutiny of the Holy Office, the very congregation commissioned and entrusted to insure doctrinal integrity. Therefore, we see here the Magisterium’s first three endorsements of Mary’s title “Coredemptrix” with an indulgenced encouragement to the faithful to recognize her blessed prerogative as “Coredemptrix of the human race.”

I think the Church approves and commends the usage of these titles. Whether and when the underlying truths need to be dogmatically defined is up to the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.