To what degree do we need to agree with Church teachings?

There must be many who delves into religion and disagree with Church to at least some rather small degree. For example, the Church teaches that the body and soul are inseparable, but like in Judaism, I tend to believe that they can be. More specifically, from an earthly perspective I believe they are inseparable, but not from a heavenly perspective (indeed, it seems to me that the Church also teaches that when we die, just our soul will go Heaven, Purgatory or Hell). I feel a bit troubled because I cannot change the disagreement that I experience; I can tell myself that I agree with everything, but deep down inside I still feel I’m in some disagreement. I never discussed this with a priest, but was wondering if anybody else thought that such a small disagreement would be sinning?

As Catholics, we are supposed to believe in all that the Catholic Church teaches. Picking and choosing which things to believe or not is how we fall into error. If we have any difficulty with any point of faith, we should look for clarification in the Catechism, or ask a Priest to explain it so we can understand it better.

When we die, our body is buried and rots in the ground, but our soul is Judged in the First Judgement, then goes to it’s appointed place (Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory). It is very much alive. But, the resurrection won’t happen until the end of time, so until then, our soul is separated from our body. But, body and soul are only inseparable as long as our body is ‘alive’. I don’t understand what problem you’re having with that belief. Do you think you can somehow separate your soul from your body?

We don’t believe in Church teachings. We submit to them. We accept them because they have been revealed to us.

Belief isn’t something that happens to us. We choose to believe because God has revealed it, and then we ask God to help us believe that which is difficult.

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24)

-Tim-

What you say makes me feel at ease because I do believe that in this life, and in the World to Come, there will be an inseparable unity between body and soul.

LOVE! :heart:

It is possible to have doubts or disbelief about doctrine without incurring guilt or sin provided three conditions are met:

[LIST]
*]You must realize that your disbelief is a personal problem that you should overcome.
*]You must make a sincere and ongoing effort to overcome your disbelief (coming here is one way people can do that).
*]You must not teach you belief to others or claim that you are correct or that the Church is wrong.
[/LIST]

The first one is the most important. We must recognize that the Church (and not us) has the authority to define doctrine.

But we are accustomed to accepting many things as truth which we have not (or cannot) verify for ourselves. Most of what science teaches is that way. We accept the idea of atoms based on the fact that we trust the chemists who teach us about them.

“Agree” is the operative word in your post. If the question was “To what degree do we need to be obedient to Church teachings?” this would be a whole different discussion.

Agreement or disagreement is not an action, its an opinion.

As long as you are obedient to Church teachings, despite not particularly liking them, and do cast doubt into those who do not disagree, you don’t have anything to worry about.

Disagreement with Church teaching is usually the result of lack of information or understanding. Once that information is provided, and is understood, the disagreement usually goes away.

And we can always question our faith, trying to gain understanding. In fact, questioning one’s faith, rather than being a crisis of faith, actually helps deepen one’s faith. Though, at times, one has to simply accept that he/she won’t understand, and leave it at that - most of the time, this has to do with mysteries of our faith, such as the Trinity, the hypostatic union, the confection of the Eucharist, etc. I can’t explain the Trinity - I believe in the Trinity, but I also know that any attempt to accurately describe the Trinity will ultimately fall short.

DO NOT cast doubt…AGHHHHHH…DO NOT cast doubt:eek: My bad!

This sounds wrong because the two things aren’t incompatible and I think we are supposed to believe in the Church’s teachings. The Creed starts out with “I believe,” and the Catechism says, in paragraph 168, that the Church believes in the truths that God has revealed first, and then “with her and in her, we are won over and brought to confess: I believe, We believe.”

What do you think of that?

I think the best approach is to learn what the Church teaches, learn the reasoning the Church gives us and assent to it. If we have questions or find something vague, it’s alright to get whatever clarifications that might be needed. In the meantime, the Church is our guide, our teacher and is given the task of spreading the truth to all.

God bless,

Ed

Complex question. Don’t know the answer.

I have been told various things. If you are struggling or suffer with mental illness or inability to comprehend things, check with a priest. If after study you really can’t/won’t agree then you can either continue to struggle and pray or you can leave, which is what I am doing. I was told by a good friend/priest to stay but I know I’m not going to change so it’s best to leave. I’m not interested in any other church and refuse to shop. I just spend time in prayer.

Ask a priest to help you, talk to other Catholics you trust and see where it takes you. Sometimes clarification can help.

I’m so sorry that you are going to leave the CC, and that you are homeless. You will be in my prayers. I feel much spiritual blessings from the Church.

Can you please provide the source for these three conditions? Thanks!

At the end of the world, souls in heaven will be reunited with their resurrected body in heaven. Souls in hell will likewise be reunited with their body in hell.

Prior to that, souls in heaven, hell, or purgatory have their memory intellect and will. Those are the powers of the soul. They are immortal because the soul is immortal.

I’m glad you feel spiritual blessings and I hope they continue for you.

FWIW, I disagree with a whole swath of Catholic teaching and feel perfectly comfortable considering myself a Catholic. I love my church and the Church.

“The Church is a whore, but She is our Mother.” - Augustine

Implicit in this image is that the Church can still be our Mother and imperfect at the same time.

Some, perhaps some here, might not see it that way, or they might deflect the image by saying that the imperfection lies with us individual believers. That might be true. But “us individual believers” extends, too, to the hierarchy.

One believes and professes the Catholic Faith. There are of course various kinds of teaching that call for differing kinds of assent. For example there are those that call for full “Faith” - others that call for “religious submission of intellect and will”.

As to the body soul thing - I will be back.

Often it is simply a “misunderstanding” - that is problematic and that can be cleared up by going to the Catechism etc.

Body and Soul: scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p6.htm#II

Resurrection of the Body:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a11.htm#I

Unless you can give a proper reference for that statement, it is NOT a quote from Augustine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.