To what extent would you agree with Mother Theresa's quote, "God doesn't require us to succeed; he only requires that you try."

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Depends on what the definion of “suceed” is. I know I can never obtain perfection but feel God finds it pleasing if i try.

A prayer by Mother Teresa.

Mother Teresa
Anyway
People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centred;
Forgive them anyway

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
It never was between you and them anyway.

All we can do is try, to succeed requires Gods grace.

**I think that maybe it is what’s in our hearts and the why of our intensions.

Mother Teresa didn’t succeed in her attempt to get all the poor and dying off the streets of India, but she did what she could. The little she could do she did with love of Jesus and with the intent of having no one die alone and unwanted, she wanted them to have dignity.

I think maybe that’s what Mother Teresa ment by her quote, and I would agree with her.

BTW, I like your questions, they always make think !**

Mother Theresa was a very wise woman. We would be wise, ourselves, if we took her advise seriously. Those of us who are afraid to try something new because it might not work out, would profit tremendously from petitioning her help. Look what she was able to accomplish, even under a vow of poverty. Now that she has such great contact with God, think what we could accomplish with her interceding for us!

This is really a great response…thank you. :thumbsup:

Thank you, too, for your kind words.

I don’t think that’s what Mother Theresa said. I believe she said that we are called, not to succeed, but to be faithful.

To the extent that it is a theological statement coming from a Saint - it’s truth is profound.
The truth of the statement is powerful, but very simple, it does not require an education to understand that she is telling us GOD does not want us to quit the race, to stop hoping, adoring, loving or believing in HIM.
That it brings comfort to thousands who are struggling with their faith in this economy - it is a life saver.

Mother Theresa brought me back to the faith, and I have this quote of her’s on my cell phone, and it brings me comfort every day. I agree completely with her statement.

He wants to try as hard as we can to affect the people around us and fill their cups with grace. He doesn’t expect us to always succeed and help everyone but it is our duty to at least try so that he knows we care.

I agree with it wholeheartedly, and it is a good quote to re-read when I get lost in the “I am never going to be good enough, look at how often I mess up!!” downward spiral that I encounter on a regular basis.
Thank you to Eric Hyom for posting “Anyway”, I love it and am saving it to my hard drive for future reference.

The Divine Mercy of Jesus Christ said to Saint Kowalska:

I do not reward for good results but for the patience and hardship undergone for My sake.

If you knocked on every door in your town and spoke about God’s mercy and love but none of the people you spoke to were interested, He wouldn’t see this as a waste of time, He would see this as your love for Him.

Exactly right:thumbsup:

I agree with Mother 100%

nicely put:thumbsup:

…it was Teddy Roosevelt who said.“keep your eyes on the stars but also keep your feet on the grouind” that is also the concept of intent…one will not always suceed but its the atempt that counts. …in baseball if one gets but two hits out of four at bats that is a 500 batting average…pretty good . To many shrug their shoulders and mumble…‘cant fight city hall’ or 'they take names so be quiet"I had a student once who was so much into hatred that he was always getting into fights…I moved his seat so that he sat alone and earned a 92% mark from me for the first quarter,unfortunately I received a call from his mom after the grades came out…he had failed the other 4 classes so she was taking her out of our Catholic HSchool,she saying she cant afford to keep him their at such a poor showing.I tried to do my best with him but the tide was against me…and so it goes in so many things…not to be disccouraged but try ,try again…Pas

My own quote on the matter has been, “It’s my job to fight–it’s God’s job to win.” I should read more on the saints. They say things better.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.