To what level am I culpable in my career?

I am, like many Americans, out of work, I used to work in health care, I heard of some positions opening up locally for an insurance company. My concern is, given the trends in health care, I am concerned with the possibility that I will soon be without the protection of a conscience clause. This particular insurance company previously has had a history with being rather quick to fund abortion, I do not desire to help fund abortion, but if I were working there (say for example in customer service) what level would I be culpable with helping someone commit a sinful deed? If I can find an opening somewhere else It would be good so that I would not have to deal with this moral issue altogether, please let me know your advice.

Good question on culpability, because also if legislation is passed that uses taxpayer dollars to fund abortions, does that mean that paying your taxes makes you automatically culpable in participating (funding) abortions . . . ?

*Hi Gabriel;

I work on the broker side of commercial insurance, not the carrier. I think you ask a good question. The difference between the tax analogy below and what you are asking, is that we have no choice but to pay taxes...or we are penalized either through fines or jail. Tax evasion is illegal. In your case, if you know without a doubt that the insurance company you are thinking of applying for pays for abortion ''claims,'' then, you can choose to not work there. Unlike taxes, we unfortunately don't have a choice to not pay them! :(*

Ultimately, it’s between you & God, but I certainly wouldn’t work for a facility that I would be forced to have anything to do with abortions - I’d walk first. & like the poster said, taxes are something we are forced to pay so there is a difference (but I’d be majorly complaining to my senators & representatives), but where one works is still ones choice. I’d rather sling burgers (which I have done in the past) than be an RN that had anything to do with abortions & their procurement.

A job such as working in the customer service department of an insurance company would be what is called remote material cooperation and you would not be committing a sin.

This is different from formal cooperation-- which means directly participating in the abortion, abortion business, etc.

[quote="1ke, post:5, topic:178516"]
A job such as working in the customer service department of an insurance company would be what is called **remote material cooperation **and you would not be committing a sin.

This is different from formal cooperation-- which means directly participating in the abortion, abortion business, etc.

[/quote]

I did not know this, thank you 1ke.

I think alot of people forget that God has common sense. He knows what your heart says. If you work for a company that does "X" (an insurance company that supports abortion) He knows that YOU don't really support "X", but the company does.

God also knows that you need to live, and support your family. If it becomes a choice between starving and working for a company that might make you a bit uncomfortable, work for them and continue looking for something you might like and feel better working for.

By the way, I know EXCATLY how you feel. I worked for catalog companies in college and some did things that I was squirmy with.

God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.